Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo
18,513 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,987
Posts558,213
Members18,514
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,566
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
6 members (Boondoggle, FishinRod, x101airborne, esshup, catscratch, Dave Davidson1), 1,027 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
Apparently stuck to an ongoing accumulation of weed clippings, I have found a slimy brown type of algae(?) on the banks as well as on the above ground protrusions that are in my 1 3/4 acre pond. Anything that is stationary has this brown slimy substance attached. Any ideas as to what it may be, and is it harmful? I do not have aeration at this time due to no electricity available as yet, and do not know if aeration will help this problem. The substance is heavy, and resembles a texture of "wet bread" when you pick it up from the water with a stick. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by hugh hawkins; 10/03/10 10:38 AM.

Hugh Hawkins
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Hugh, my first thought is that it is algae that is dying and the gasses of decomposition have lifted it to the surface.

I would bet the first hard rain will bust it up and make it sink. Manual removal will help remove the nutrients from becoming next years algae growth.

H
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
Rainman... I have some smaller dead trees that I have laid along the water line at various locations in the pond. These trees have accumulated much of the brown substance. Should I remove the trees? I have noticed that the substance is a haven for minnows. Just looking for what I should be doing.

Hugh Hawkins
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Hugh, if you want them gone for aesthetic reasons do so. As you noted, it is a haven for the small fish and brings in zooplankton for the youngins to eat. It is jjust a normal part of your ecosystem and poses no harm.

H
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
Thanks Rainman. I just don't want to let things go that would cause me other problems down the road. I greatly appreciate your help. Sounds like I don't really have to worry about this issue. I plan to install aeration as soon as I am able to get electricity down to the pond.

Hugh Hawkins
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Hugh, pictures would help give a positive identification. As I said in my first reply...it is just a guess , but algae turning brown is common as the water cools, depending on the species.

It is a lot cheaper to run airline to the pond (but less convenient) than it is to run electric.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Ok went fishing yesterday and noticed what I believe to be some sort of algae maybe FA.

Now this is much earlier that it appeared last year and thought I could make it until May so I could add some Tilapia and give them a shot.

Would this still be recomended to do so or should I used some other type of treatment?

If anyone could help with some ideas I would appreciate it.

Thanks

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
With the warm weather and bight sunshine, cool water algaes are doing well in your area.

You can treat it, but I personally wouldn't yet unless it is an issue for reasons other than aesthetics. Kill it now, it becomes an nutrient for more algae or something else in 2-4 weeks.

Why wait till May to stock tilapia? First part of April should have your water warm enough.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Rex,

I would stock them now if they would make it, but you know how OK weather is and the water could drop again.

Whe would be the earlies you would stock Tilapia in N.E. Oklahoma?

Also I am considering adding 1 Grass Carp as well just to help with the weeds and to have an addition to the pond. I do not think ony 1 would do much harm, but what are you thoughts?

Last edited by MRHELLO; 02/24/11 06:19 PM.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: Rainman
With the warm weather and bight sunshine, cool water algae’s are doing well in your area.

You can treat it, but I personally wouldn't yet unless it is an issue for reasons other than aesthetics. Kill it now, it becomes a nutrient for more algae or something else in 2-4 weeks.

Why wait till May to stock tilapia? First part of April should have your water warm enough.

Ok you mention above it may be too early to treat FA, my concern is what happens if I do not treat it at all?

I am sure I will have to if I want to fish it this summer, and feed the pond as the food will just lay on the FA.

When should I treat it, with what, and how much? Do you think I could get the Tilapia to eat any of it? If they were to eat and like it, better yet clean it all up, they would probably get over a pound by end of season.

Please let me know your recommendations, and if you will either deliver to Oklahoma or close by when that will be.

Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jim Mabrey, Kavita Singh, Martyman, PondMutt, TJP84
Recent Posts
What made this noise?
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 10:46 AM
Drain it to clear it?
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 10:40 AM
My First
by x101airborne - 05/04/24 10:21 AM
Using Advanced Search Function