Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,103
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (Bill Cody, Dylanfrely, Boondoggle, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Layne, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689), 705 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H

Kinda have a two fold problem with my pond. One is a leak that I've posted about in the new member section & the other is the question of drilling a well to supplement the pond's water supply. Obviously I need to repair the leak before drilling the well, but I need to know if using the well to help maintain the water level during dry spells is realistic. The pond is about 3/4A (surface area) & about 20+' deep when full. I live on hill ground that should provide some very accessible veins of water for the well.......

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Using a well will work. My general rule of thumb is that if the water is drinkable without having to do anything to it, it's O.K. to put in a pond. I would tho, run it over rocks or something else to mix it with air, both to get out dissolved gasses and to help oxygenate it.

As for the volume of water needed, it all depends on how leaky your pond is, and how deep your pocketbook is (to pay the utilities). I'm spending about $100/mo right now to keep my pond from dropping any further, which means that I'm pumping approximately 30,000 gallons into the pond every day.

My pond is dug in sandy soil, and is also dug into the water table, so when it's dry out it really starts dropping fast. There was not enough clay in the pond basin when dug out to line the pond, so I knew it was going to be a problem.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JWB Offline
J
54, glad to see another Kansas pond owner found PB. I have a 3/4 acre pond just out side of Wichita, during the summer months I pump 30,000 a day into the pond, at that rate it adds about 1" of water per day and cost around $100.00 per month.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
54, it really depends on your well capacity and checkbook.

One acre foot of water equals 325,829 gallons.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
H
OP Offline
H

Thanks guys for some very helpful info! I'm just now starting to explore the well idea & hope to resolve the leak to minimize the well use.

I was hoping someone would post some costs associated with the actual well drilling & pump, etc.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Well drilling costs can run anywhere from $2-$15 per foot plus set-up costs, pump, casing, etc. Calling around to local drillers will give you an idea of nearby well depths and estimates for complete jobs.

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Well drilling costs can run anywhere from $2-$15 per foot plus set-up costs, pump, casing, etc. Calling around to local drillers will give you an idea of nearby well depths and estimates for complete jobs.

I'm on one of the local drillers waiting list, but it seems they're crazy busy. I had a tough time even getting them to return my calls & never had a chance to discuss any details with them.......... Perhaps I should look elsewhere...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd keep looking. With this economy, they aren't as busy as they were a few years ago.

Pricing will vary greatly depending on soil type, depth and what mechanicals you install. A variable speed well pump was quoted to me as costing about 1K more than a standard pump. The added wiring expense, controller and pump were the reasons.

Ask for references also (and check them). One driller in the area drills the well, installs the hardware and leaves. It's up to the homeowner to clean up the soil and stuff that he drilled out of the hole. Another leaves the place looking just like it did when they pulled up. Price was the same.

Go with a local driller - they seem to know the area the best. Talk to neighbors and ask them who they used. My new well was slightly over 3K. That included them drilling thru a 10" thick cement wall to install a water line and bladder tank. I have a 4" well, 1 hp motor, 66' depth and a double screen. This well is supposed to be capable of flowing 100 gpm if I change the well pump. They also ran electric (trenched and buried) about 150' to the well and to the pressure switch.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
H
OP Offline
H
Thanks esshup for chiming in! I've tried to search the net (unsuccessfully) for the information you've given me. I now have a better understanding of cost & construction.

The driller that finally returned my call didn't seem too interested, said he'd put me on the list...... I was thinking, "what recession?"

Last edited by Handsome54; 10/05/10 05:03 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My soils are sand/sandy loam/a bit of clay/and more sand, so drilling is easy.

When I lived in So. Cal. I talked to a well driller that said he had to go thru 100's of feet of rock to drill a well. Back in the late 1980's they were charging $20/foot. That could run into some serious money quickly. One well that I know of was over 500' down.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: esshup
My soils are sand/sandy loam/a bit of clay/and more sand, so drilling is easy.

When I lived in So. Cal. I talked to a well driller that said he had to go thru 100's of feet of rock to drill a well. Back in the late 1980's they were charging $20/foot. That could run into some serious money quickly. One well that I know of was over 500' down.

Yikes! I don't have pockets that deep! I've researched my state's drilling data & it would appear that most of the wells already drilled in my area are around 60'- 80' deep but the GPM varies considerably. Turns out, the driller I'm trying to work with is the lone dog in my neck of the woods. That would explain his lack of interest in new business.......

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That sucks. Nobody else in the yellow pages? Or is there just enough business in the area for one company?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
JWB Offline
J
The going rate in central Kansas is 16-18 a foot, 20 if they hit solid rock. It's important that you take Esshup advice and "Ask for references and check them", the scammers are out in full force.

H
OP Offline
H
[quote=esshup]That sucks. Nobody else in the yellow pages? Or is there just enough business in the area for one company? [/quot

I agree! I've checked the Kansas Bureau Of Water's web site which lists the registered drillers in your area & this is the only company within 60 miles. Kind of a monopoly...... I'm sure he has more business than he can handle... He said he'd put me on the list, but never gave me any idea how long that might be.

Last edited by Handsome54; 10/05/10 05:10 PM.
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: JWB
The going rate in central Kansas is 16-18 a foot, 20 if they hit solid rock. It's important that you take Esshup advice and "Ask for references and check them", the scammers are out in full force.

The driller I talked to has been in business for longer than I can remember & he's the only game in town, so he should be trustworthy. I'll still check references if he ever gets around to me.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I''d broaden my search. There is a driller there with a home base of Indianapolis, Indiana.

Is the driller you are looking at license # 182?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

H
H
60 to 80 ft, you guys are lucky! Here in Albany, La they have a flat rate for the first 400', including 50gal tank, 3/4 hp submersible pump, 4" pipe. That price ranges from 4500.00 to 5500.00 then 10.00 per ft past 400'.

I had mine dug in 2008, I upgraded to 100 gal tank, 1 hp pump and they had to go almost 600' to hit good water source. Most other wells in my area are between 450 and 500'. Total price was right at 7,000.00!

Sometimes ponds are like women, a small one takes less to manage and more time for pleasure
H
OP Offline
H
I''d broaden my search. There is a driller there with a home base of Indianapolis, Indiana.

Is the driller you are looking at license # 182?

That would be him! I didn't see a driller from Indy listed in the Kansas registry.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I would think there are several drillers in the KC, St. Joe, Lincoln area that will drill in your neck of the woods.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Handsome54
That would be him! I didn't see a driller from Indy listed in the Kansas registry.

Look at license #811. grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

H
OP Offline
H

Look at license #811. grin

Ahh, yes........ Helps if ya scroll all the way down! blush How far do some of these drillers travel?

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Rainman
I would think there are several drillers in the KC, St. Joe, Lincoln area that will drill in your neck of the woods.

Thanks Rainman! I know there's drillers in the KC area, but wasn't sure they'd travel 60 miles west. I'll give em a shout out, because I could be old & grey(oh, wait..I already am)before this local guy 30 miles away gets to me.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ahh, yes........ Helps if ya scroll all the way down! blush How far do some of these drillers travel?

If the economy is slow, and you've got people to put to work, you do what you've gotta do.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

H
OP Offline
H

I'll go ahead & plead ignorance up front & get it out of the way...... When having a well drilled, who selects the actual site? Is the owner expected to know the best location on his property to drill or is this something the driller should know? I know maps & data are used by hydrologists, so does the owner need to hire a hydrologist before drilling? I live just north of the Kansas River in the hills & my property is down in a valley with a small creek running through it, so there should be sufficient ground water available.......

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I've drilled wells a long time ago and had a well drilled on my present place. The theory is that one place is probably as good as another.

That's probably not true and if a Hydrologist could better your odds, I would probably go for it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!