Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
So is the Georgia Giant nothing else but a CNBG x GSF?

At any rate the GG is still a HBG correct?

I am just wondering if the growth rate is possibe in that time frame, .5 inch to 4.5 inches in 6 weeks?

If so I can see why people like to stock these.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you search here for "Georgia Giant" and go back a few years, you'll see why people don't like to stock them as well.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
So is the Georgia Giant nothing else but a CNBG x GSF? -- no

It is a form (some type)of hybrid lepomis. The exact makeup is unknown to all except the developing hatchery.

I would call the place they came from and ask exactly what they sold you. After they answer I would ask if they sell Georgia Giants or know about them. It is possible that they have stumbled on a near Georgia Giant mix on their own.

If you want a put and take HBG pond that is a good use of HBG like fish. If you want a balanced LMB/BG type pond then add adult CNBG and fish out some of the existing hybrids.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I will continue to post pictures on here as I will have many sorts of Hybrids since I have a nice GSF pond and plan to add som BG and CNBG if I can find them.

Who knows what I will have in a few years, I guess they will be so diluted that it may be hard to tell after the first few generations.

M
Mook Offline OP
OP Offline
M
The largest fish I stocked was 3/4 inch and that was the RES. All of the HCNBG were between 1/2" and 3/4". The one I have in the pic was the largest of 4 I caught. The other three were closer to the 3 1/2" size.

The hatchery told me that they simply were CNBG X GSF and that the retro reproduction has been primarily straight CNBG. He has them in all of his ponds and is very happy with the LMB sustainablity for forage. I guess this will ge a grow, fish, eat and see project.

Mook

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
the retro reproduction has been primarily straight CNBG. -- not sure I understand.

M
Mook Offline OP
OP Offline
M
The hatchery told me that the fish I bought would reproduce back to CNBG. Since he told me that they were a cross with GSF, I assumed that he meant more CNGB than GSF in the next generations.

Mook

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Hybrids can not through reproduction with their own produce offspring that go back (revert)to the original parentals (GSF or CNBG) genetics. Hybrid lepomis exhibit outbreeding depression in the F2 and subsequent generations. That is why all of the fisheries scientists I am aware of state that HBG offspring are not a good thing in a pond. All of the HBG pond plans I am aware of are based on the idea that the predator fish need to be able to eat all the HBG offspring and that over time it will be necessary to restock HBG. The idea is to put them in grow them to size and fish them out while the predators eat all the offspring. Below is a pic of an FX GG.

If there are enough pure CNBG stocked with HBG then over time the CNBG will out produce the HBG and leave you with a CNBG population. They will not be crosses(hybrids). CNBG produce lots of babies 30 to 50 thousand a year while HBG if they spawn successfully will have only a few (1000 +-) babies a year.

Last edited by ewest; 09/16/10 09:02 PM.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Mook,

Did you say you were feeding your fish, if so what brand and size of food are you using?

B
B
Originally Posted By: ewest
Hybrids can not through reproduction with their own produce offspring that go back (revert)to the original parentals (GSF or CNBG) genetics. Hybrid lepomis exhibit outbreeding depression in the F2 and subsequent generations. That is why all of the fisheries scientists I am aware of state that HBG offspring are not a good thing in a pond. All of the HBG pond plans I am aware of are based on the idea that the predator fish need to be able to eat all the HBG offspring and that over time it will be necessary to restock HBG. The idea is to put them in grow them to size and fish them out while the predators eat all the offspring. Below is a pic of an FX GG.

If there are enough pure CNBG stocked with HBG then over time the CNBG will out produce the HBG and leave you with a CNBG population. They will not be crosses(hybrids). CNBG produce lots of babies 30 to 50 thousand a year while HBG if they spawn successfully will have only a few (1000 +-) babies a year.

Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that hybrids did in fact play out into their parental phenotypes. When two hybrid bluegills breed, a percentage of the offspring will largely have a bluegill phenotype, and a percentage will have a green sunfish phenotype, I might be wrong, but this was my understanding. In fact I am fairly certain that I have witnessed it.

Last edited by brier; 09/19/10 12:22 AM.
M
Mook Offline OP
OP Offline
M
wow thats one ugly fish- I guess it would be a good bet in either case to get some straight CNBG as noted in a previous post.

The feed I am using is just the game-fish stuff I get from the feed/seed store and I actually switched over to the catfish food a couple weeks ago because it was cheaper.

Mook

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
How much cheaper are we talking? Were you using the Purina Game Fish Chow before?

Just wondering, as I too was going to use the Catfish food but as you will hear from others on the site, it may have many extra ingredients that you may not want your fish to have.

At any rate more advice will be coming your way.

M
Mook Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Too funny - that is what I told my wife after she bought the catfish food - cheaper is rarely if ever- better. Yes it was Purina and yes I will be going back to it since after the last discussion with my wife she said that I was in charge of getting all the feed if I did not like what she got -sound familiar to anyone?

Mook

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
"Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that hybrids did in fact play out into their parental phenotypes. When two hybrid bluegills breed, a percentage of the offspring will largely have a bluegill phenotype, and a percentage will have a green sunfish phenotype, I might be wrong, but this was my understanding. In fact I am fairly certain that I have witnessed it."

Take a look at this on outbreeding depression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outbreeding_depression

Once the GSF and BG genes are mixed in a HBG they can't revert to what their parents were genetically (at least not in a short time like a few years/lifetimes). HBG are 90% males +- and so there are not many females to spawn. Plus fecundity is very low. So the probability of an ongoing HBG population undoing the cross genetically through evolution/selection is exceedingly small. What I believe you are seeing is the result of outbreeding depression as noted in the link.

Last edited by ewest; 09/21/10 09:53 PM.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Don't even get me started on that boat as none of the women over here even understand why I am feeding fish, and wonder why I waste the money. mad

I bet the first time my wife hooks into a 1+ pound BG or a nice 3+ pound LMB that has been eating the fat BG she will change her mind. grin

Plus I tell them it is for the kids anyway and they love to fish, not to mention how much the like to eat it as well.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
No matter what the theory states...I have not seen significant successful reproduction from hybrid bluegill.

Also IMO, the Georgia Giant is also just an overhyped hybrid bluegill. Maybe at one time they were special but now I understand them to be the result of the standard green sunfish/bluegill cross. Either way, they are not ideal for bass forage, they are more of a competitor!

I agree with the others, stock with significant numbers of mature coppernose bluegill before you even think about stocking bass.

Last edited by overtonfisheries; 09/24/10 01:10 PM.

It's ALL about the fish!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images