Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Tarkus, PRCS, Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker
18,453 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,904
Posts557,164
Members18,453
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,425
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,113
Who's Online Now
3 members (Snipe, TonyinKY, Bobbss), 282 guests, and 201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hey, RobA, where in the Mountain State are you? Don't worry - it's a school night for the kids and I have a full schedule tomorrow so I'm not going to try to come steal your beer!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
The bet of the bunch, to me, was from Wisconsin.

The name is Leinenkugels. I tried several types and the classic amber was the best. I'm having trouble getting it here so I'm back to the King of Beers.

Yeesh! Spending my first 22 years in Wisconsin -- a state where 18 year-olds could legally walk into a bar,and anyone who could drive or get driven to a bar, could walk in and get served -- Leinenkugel's was not the beer of choice -- even as under-aged drinkers.

We had Northern, Fitger's, Brunig's, Blatz, and a few other local brews that went national, like Hamms, Schlitz, and Pabst.

Leinenkugel's had a two-word nick-name I can't possibly write here without being moderated. It was based on the picture in the center of the old label -- half vulgar racial slur, and half just-plain nasty vulgar. Totally nasty.

I've not had a Leinies in years. But, it wasn't a pleasant beer.

For it to have survived all the other better breweries -- somebody must like it. But, then there are a lot of really nasty Pennsylvania beers that survived, and I like a lot of them.

Burping and Gurgling,
Ken

P.S. If anyone wants to send me a case, or two, of beer from your local area, I'll be glad to evaluate it.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Hey, RobA, where in the Mountain State are you?

I'm staying in Moorefield. Fished on the South Branch of the Potomac near Petersburg today. I've been coming to this area to fish for the past 15 years.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ken, Illinois was just like Wisconsin regarding drinking age. I hit it just right. When they changed the regs to 21, I was good to go.

You forgot one of the Wisconsin staples - Point Beer!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Leinenkugel is not a microbrew though.

We can send as much to you as you need, Guv.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ken, I place no credibility in the opinion of anyone who eats things that can't even be pronounced and I suspect are temporarily buried to ripen.

I just found out that there are a couple of local Leinie distributors around here. I'll be checking with them.

BTW, I think Lone Star Beer, the State beer of Texas, is terrible tasting stuff. Like the old time Jax, it tastes worse going down that it does coming up.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Egad! I got so carried away by Dave's praise of Leinenkugels', I forgot to report . . .

In the last 50 years, I've spent immeasurable hours in waders, kayaks, canoes, small boats, big boats, and on ships. To me, the quest for a fish dinner just isn't worth the risks involved with alcohol induced fishing -- and I love beer!

I'm a long ways from being a teetotaler. From unfortunate experience, I'd have to say that risk shouldn't trump death.

For me, alcohol doesn't start until the beer battering for the catch-of-the-day is ready for cooking. At least in my mind, alcohol doesn't start until we are off the water and the fish are cleaned -- unless we are well over the age of consent -- over 80, over 90, over 100.

Don't call me mature,
Ken

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Any of you guys like Rolling Rock, my dad use to love that beer but other relatives thought it tasted like pee. If we all had the same taste I guess it would be pretty boring, that's what I tell my wife when I eat Jello with can milk. sick

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RobA

I'm staying in Moorefield. Fished on the South Branch of the Potomac near Petersburg today. I've been coming to this area to fish for the past 15 years.

When are you heading back? I won't be home from work until late (tomorrow) Friday night, and I have to pick up one of my grand daughters mid-Saturday morning in Winchester.

But, if Saturday afternoon, or Sunday afternoon are available -- maybe we could have a fish fry. You bring the fish, or just goodwill, and we'll provide all the rest. I'm just off US 50, about 2 miles from Capon Bridge, and about 20 minutes from Moorefield/Petersburg.

Regards,
Ken

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Ken, Illinois was just like Wisconsin regarding drinking age. I hit it just right. When they changed the regs to 21, I was good to go.

You forgot one of the Wisconsin staples - Point Beer!

I was closer to Michigan when it was 18 in Michigan. I didn't go to drink though. I went to meet girls. blush

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RobA

Fantastic! A buddy and I are thinking about a late September canoe-camping float trip for a couple of days over on that section of the river, probably through the Trough area. I may have to get in touch with you for some thoughts on that sort of trip since you've been fishing there for so long. I'm a couple of hours away and don't know the area as well as some closer to home, but there's always water there. Have a great time!

Todd La Neve

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
DD, if you like a good amber, and want to try a made in Texas one, get one from your King of Beers. Now, I cant take Bud, but Zeigenbock, made by Bud plant here is nice. Try it. Hard to find, though, unless you go to a Specs or similar. Abita Springs, from LA, is also good.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Any of you guys like Rolling Rock, my dad use to love that beer but other relatives thought it tasted like pee. If we all had the same taste I guess it would be pretty boring, that's what I tell my wife when I eat Jello with can milk. sick

I love Rolling Rock. How did they know what pee tastes like?

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Rolling Rock does taste like pee. And I prefer not to divulge how I know this. laugh

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Omaha
Rolling Rock does taste like pee. And I prefer not to divulge how I know this. laugh

And to think all this time I've been wondering where they sent the urine samples for testing.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Rolling Rock used to be brewed about 10 miles from where I live.

I can't stand it, at all, and pee is a good word to describe what I think it tastes like. No offense to those who like it though.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sunil
I can't stand it, at all, and pee is a good word to describe what I think it tastes like. No offense to those who like it though.

No offense to those who like what? Pee? Or Rolling Rock? grin

Todd La Neve

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hey don't knock drinking pee. The Survivor Man has used it to save him from dehydration from time to time! whistle

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/10/10 05:17 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
In the immortal words of Ace Ventura, Pet Detective, "well, alrighty then!" grin

Todd La Neve

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Hey don't knock drinking pee. The Survivor Man has used it to save him from dehydration from time to time! whistle

Some basement fish have to swim in it. grin

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Some basement fish have to swim in it. grin

You just can't leave that alone can you! grin

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
When are you heading back? I won't be home from work until late (tomorrow) Friday night, and I have to pick up one of my grand daughters mid-Saturday morning in Winchester.

But, if Saturday afternoon, or Sunday afternoon are available -- maybe we could have a fish fry. You bring the fish, or just goodwill, and we'll provide all the rest. I'm just off US 50, about 2 miles from Capon Bridge, and about 20 minutes from Moorefield/Petersburg.

Regards,
Ken

Thanks! That's kind of you and it would have been nice to meet a fellow pondmeister. Unfortunately, I'm leaving right after we get off the river tomorrow late in the afternoon. I've got a 4-1/2 hour drive back to PA.

Fantastic! A buddy and I are thinking about a late September canoe-camping float trip for a couple of days over on that section of the river, probably through the Trough area. I may have to get in touch with you for some thoughts on that sort of trip since you've been fishing there for so long. I'm a couple of hours away and don't know the area as well as some closer to home, but there's always water there. Have a great time!

In all the years I've been coming here I've never fished the Trough. I hear it's beautiful. Pray for rain if you'll be fishing the river any time soon - it is really low. We spent a lot of time on this trip dragging our boats through skinny water. I'd be glad to offer any advice but keep in mind that the number of years I've been fishing in the area does not necessarily translate into a wealth of knowledge!

R
Lunker
Lunker
R

When I was in high school about 150 years ago Rolling Rock was all we could afford. Then, about 5 years ago I was in London on a business trip. I was taken to a trendy new bar (I would have preffered a pub) and guess what they served? Only 2 American beers - Rolling Rock and Bud! Surely they could have chosen something better to represent the USA!

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
The bet of the bunch, to me, was from Wisconsin.

The name is Leinenkugels. I tried several types and the classic amber was the best. I'm having trouble getting it here so I'm back to the King of Beers.

Come to Minnesota, it's everywhere. I prefer Surly though, it's a microbrew from the Twin Cities. Fantastic.

Originally Posted By: burgermeister
Zeigenbock, made by Bud plant here is nice. Try it.

I spent many a Friday night at the Dixie Chicken in College Station, killing pitchers of Ziegen with my friends and playing dominoes.

Pearl is probably my favorite swill beer, although it's only available in Texas and Oklahoma I believe.

Last edited by txelen; 09/10/10 07:51 PM.

Ponds in TX, lake place in WI, me in CA
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
.........So of you on here who consider yourself fisherman, would you say you are a non-alcohol drinking fisherman, a I'll drink the occasional brew while fishing or the, if I don't have a beer in my hand while fishing, then there ain't no point in fishing type fisherman?

it all depends wink

GSF are people too!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
fishtech
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Snipe - 03/30/24 02:17 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Snipe - 03/30/24 02:06 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/29/24 11:13 PM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 11:09 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 03/29/24 10:56 PM
Pond stand pipe blocked
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 07:39 PM
Is brown/yellow water always clay?
by FishinRod - 03/29/24 05:51 PM
Prayers needed
by FireIsHot - 03/29/24 02:32 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 01:59 PM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification
by Mike Troyer, October 6
Sharing the Food