Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,107
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, jbird5986, Deancutler, Angler8689, FireIsHot, Treeguy27, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS), 739 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Tony, we have a bunch of BG fans around here as well and some of my nutty BG friends use 6ft fiber glass fly rods with - yes - three lb mono tippets .... I give them a hard time fishing itsy bitsy fly rods with itsy bitsy flies for itsy bitsy fish ... they love their gills!!

Our trees don't only grow to the waters edge and the ones on the bank have overhangong limbs.

I agree with Scott, give me 30 minutes with you in my tree covered back yard with over hanging branches and I'll have you roll casting, side arm, back hand and under hand fly casting a 6ft fly rod in 30 minutes - I guarantee ...

CHEERS,
George

Quote below from: http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...ing#Post4833926

"I must confess - I’m not a UL guy, let alone a UL spin cast guy ….. BUT - I am an experimenter and the posts on UL spin/fly has been of interest to me.

As a result, TFO has provided me with their new Spin/fly rig.
I tossed it in the backyard with a 5 wf line and got a decent ~35-40 ft cast but the action is a little slow for me - I lean toward fast action rods.
It may be more 3-4 fly rod than 4-5 wt?

Below are specs for spin rod - $100.00 for a premium UL …

Spin/Fly
Model Length Power Line Wt. Lure Wt. (oz.) Weight (oz.) Pcs. Action MSRP
TFG FWSF 601-2 6' UL 2-6 1/32 - 3/8 2.6 2 Mod Fast

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
George,
Thank you for the words of encouragement, I enjoy reading about your endeavours down in the Lone Star state. However, I fear both you and Scott may have grossly overestimated my abilities where hand-eye coordination is concerned! No reflection on either of your guys teaching abilities, but I'm not sure I possess the needed talents! On the other hand, I must confess to a deeply hidden desire to try my hand at a fly rod. The pictures you provided of the UL Spin/fly rig have really gotten my attention. Perhaps I should pursue this further.....!!

Scott, thank you as well, I appreciate the offer of instruction. The spot with the bridge is one of the more open areas, it gets pretty woolly down here! Maybe I'll spend the rest of the afternoon reading up on fly fishing for BG. It's so dry down here I'm not working on much anyway...

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I mean no disrespect to anyone, but please forum members, remember that a few of us fish in what I consider "real world" conditions, that require different approaches than what you may be used to.

Respectfully,
Tony

Real world conditions???? I don't guess I really get this statment. Like you said no offense intended here but you are fishing on your pond right? With fish you stocked in the pond correct? And no one else can fish it unless you say so right? You said you could take a boat out but you choose to fish from the shore? I don't know that I would consider that "real world conditions" but I do understand your shore fishing. I did it for a long time and it is hard to do it with trees everywhere that's for sure! I been tangled up in a many of branches because I didn't look close enough before I went back with my rod to cast it. Great post sprkplug!

Last edited by RC51; 09/16/10 02:20 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
There is no need to take any offense with these posts.

If you are having fun fishing then you are doing it right.

I use UL because I have fun with it.
I use a fly rod because I have fun with it.
I don't use a bait caster because I hated it. I'm sure it's like anything else if I had learned to use it properly I probably would have liked it.
I still have humongous Rods and Reels from my days of salt water fishing because that is what was used in trolling for marlin/tuna/dorado/shark etc and I had fun with them.

I don't care if you tie a lamb onto a grappling hook and haul it in with a Warn Winch, it's your pond have fun with it.

I do however have one requirement....

...if you catch anything with the lamb/grappling hook/warn winch set up you darn well better post photos of it.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

I do however have one requirement....

...if you catch anything with the lamb/grappling hook/warn winch set up you darn well better post photos of it.

I know that's right!!! I want to see that bad boy! smile

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
JHAP, the next time I catch a good sized CC, I'll pin it on my Penn 50SW 2-speed w/100# test, full roller rod and a 16/0 hook. Will be close enough to a Warn Winch for ya? grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Only if you use a lamb for bait and it is one big catfish.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O.K. what's in the red "X"?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
RC..
I looked back over my post, and I see what you mean. I could've chosen my words with a little more forethought. I'll take another stab at it. A few months ago I was approached about being an ambassador for Pond Boss. I agreed, as I know what the magazine, and this forum has done for my ponds,and I wanted to share this with the people in my area. I own a small businesss, and as I type this, Pond Boss brochures are displayed on the counter for customers to pickup. Part of my business requires that I travel to customers houses to pickup and return equipment that I repair. I carry brochures in the glovebox, and if I see a pond at my customers house, I always leave a brochure. I encourage everyone to come to the forum, and checkout what Pondboss is about before they subscribe. Now comes the rub. Everything you stated about my ponds is true. I own them, I stock them, and I control who fishes them.
I could choose to cut down the trees, or take a boat out, or toss a half stick of dynamite in and collect what floats up... it's entirely up to me. However, when I made the "real world" statement, I wasn't talking about me. You see, most of my friends' ponds, my family's ponds, and my customers' ponds, look just like mine. Trees growing down to the waters edge, grass and weeds up to your waist. I have gotten some feedback from people who visited the forum on my reccomendation, and they were concerned that the issues discussed were so divergent from their own concerns, that they weren't interested in subscribing. I try to explain that everyone here is very friendly, and a wide variety of topics are discussed at length. Hang around and give it a chance I say. But I can see their point. I realize that it's impossible to discuss, at length, the various nuances among ponds of different geographic locales, I just don't want Pond Boss to seem like they are too far removed to be able to help the guy with cattle in his pond, or the fellow who needs advice on drinking water systems utilizing pond water, or the angler who chooses to fish in the brush. Those are my "real world" contacts, that I am trying to convince to join us. I already know that this is the friendliest, most helpful forum to which I belong. I just want the locals to know it too.

Respectfully,
Tony

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Sprkplug,

Oh ok I get now. That makes more since!

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Sprkplug Tony! You are just fishing the way I fish a lot. Although I usually target bass, I do love some BG fishing from the bank and walking the whole banks around a pond, ducking under the trees, trying make a cast through a "hole" between tree branches, the whole thing. That's some good fishing!

Now that my buddy and I have a few small boats and a couple of kayaks that we can drag through the woods, we do fish mostly from out on the water but, not always and it's not always possible.

So, what you describe is a FUN way to fish, too! I love tossing those little jigs (when I can see well enough to tie them on)!

Don't feel left out here at all! We started off talking about mono and got off into various techniques - obviously one of my favorite topics - but, you are not alone in the way you're fishing.

That's why I have a 6' Avid rigged with a Symetre 750. I just gave away a 5'6" UL rod and a cheapo Okuma reel to a friend's 10-year old boy but, I'll probably get another one in 5' at some point and an even smaller micro spinning reel just so I can do what you're describing.

I was really just getting into how I usually fish but, I'll fish where I can and when I can even if I have blow the bait out through a soda-straw to get it in the water. All the ponds we fish around here (and rivers and streams too) have some areas where the tree cover is heavy next to the banks and the weeds are thick (and full of ticks and chiggers). If I can launch a boat, I will but if not, I'm gonna fish it anyway.

Everybody fish the way they like it the best! wink

Last edited by Al Davison; 09/16/10 09:43 PM.

If you're too scared to throw that bait where the fish are, why did you tie it on?
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
There is no need to take any offense with these posts.

I don't care if you tie a lamb onto a grappling hook and haul it in with a Warn Winch, it's your pond have fun with it.

Well, I have to take offense at the thought of using a poor defenseless little lamb for fish bait! frown

But, here in WV, we've sometimes been known to use 30 to 40 inch minnows with a 120/0 hook, tied to a logging winch operated with the tractor PTO.

Here is one of the typical minnows. You can see the hook hanging on the side of the bucket. grin

P.S. We don't use monofilament line on the logging winch.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
laugh laugh Dang it man now that's a minnow!!! I love it! That hook is impressive too! laugh

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Nice pic.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
that's about the size of shiner they use down in Miss. for white perch(sac-o-lait)(crappie) Texas aint got the biggest everything. laugh

Lunker
Lunker
Back to the original topic, I have found that a product called Reel Magic "reely" helps with line twist and memory. Reel Magic

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yes a buddy of mine uses it and he likes it as well and says it does help! I have heard this from a few guys now so this product must be pretty good.

Lunker
Lunker
It ain't a cure all but it does help. I doubt that it's actually much different than WD-40.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: Bullhead
It ain't a cure all but it does help. I doubt that it's actually much different than WD-40.

Not nearly as sticky as WD, seems to have no residual stickiness. I spray each time I use it, and occasionally during a fishing trip.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Looking at the specs and properties of the reel magic lube, I'd lay odds it is a blend of raw PTFE (teflon) and pure silicone.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
George, these days I'm using about 50% spinning gear with 6 pound line.

I'm not as bad as Ray Scott. He uses it 100% of the time.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
George, these days I'm using about 50% spinning gear with 6 pound line.

I'm not as bad as Ray Scott. He uses it 100% of the time.

Senator, I knew J**K K*****Y, and believe me, you are not J***K K*****Y...
grin... grin ... grin

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Lunker
Lunker
You knew Jock Kelly? shocked

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 08:10 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails