Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
2 members (Pat Williamson, gehajake), 1,349 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
3 Images
M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
Tilapia - What Kind Are They

Here are some of the Tilapia I was given and I would like to know if anyone knows what type they are?

I know they are not that good of pics but thought someone could make something of them.

Thanks
19 Comments
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
looks like Nile Tilapia, IIRC.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Nilotica X Aurea.....Nile/Blue Hybrid

The most common cross there is.

Last edited by Rainman; 09/02/10 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling
M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Niloltica X Aurea.....Nile/Blue Hybrid

I had asked the guy again and he said that he was told they were Blues and then went on to say they were T. Nilotica.

Is there such a thing as T. Nilotica?

I was hoping for Blues but my first thought was Nile as well.

But you say it is a Nile Blue Hybrid, if so how can you tell that and are they a pretty good choice?

Either way I can't complain since they were free but if I was Pure Blues I guess I will have to get rid of these and start over.

I have 7 of these little guys with 2 the size you see and the rest about 1-2 inches long.

What would be some choices for food, he was feeding catfish food, and I have some Game Fish Chow, but may consider some Aquamax if I know what size and type I should get?

What would be the smallest tank I should be able to keep them in until next spring?

Will these hybrids spawn? If so do they produce both male and female?

Are these able to be hand sexed, if so how large do they have to be to do so?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Mr. Hello,

I am the only retail source I am aware of for a known pure Blue Tilapia. Whomever supplied you may well have gotten some fish from me, but the fish pictured is unquestionably not pure and not what I supply.

The vertical rays on the tail are the most obvious identifier of the hybridization for me in the picture. The straightness of the dark coloring indicates it is a hybrid. A pure Aurea will have a pronounced curvature or arc(s) to the coloring. The bands may be broken. A pure Nilotica will have horizontal barely colored rays on the tail. The light, almost clear white coloring in most of the scales only come from Nilotica DNA.

The "T" represents "Tilapia". There have been many scientific names used over the last 20-30 years to identify species.

Currently the proper designations used are O. Nilotica, O. Aurea, and O. Mozanbicus.....the "O" representing "Oreochromis".

They can all be sexed at less than 2 inches in length. Yes they will spawn, but there is no way to know as to what % will be male or female. You are clearly thinking of the so-called Super Male (true Super Males cost over $25K) so it is not that.

Here are a female and male PURE Blue Tilapia (Male on top)
[IMG]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa4/Rainman_pics_2007/Tilapia-2.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Rainman; 09/02/10 11:54 AM. Reason: addition of picture and more clarification
M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Those are nice fish there even at just 7 inches. How much did those weigh and how long does it take to get them to that size?

By looking at the two how can I tell them apart as these appear the same, do you have info on how to sex them?

What do you feed each size of yours again and can you recommend food for the size I have?

You say there is now way to know what % will be male or female, is that due to the fact these are hybrids or is that just the general rule?

Also at what size and age should these spawn at and do I need to keep there water at a certain temp or supply something for them to spawn?

Do you know what water temps these can handle, I believe you said the Blues were down to 45 degrees?

Like I said since there were free it allows me to try this project out and see if I am able to keep them alive and grow them out before I put down the money for True Blues.

So if this pans out and they make it until next spring than I will most likely get some blues and start over since that is what I want anyway.

Thanks

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
Those are nice fish there even at just 7 inches. How much did those weigh and how long does it take to get them to that size?

By looking at the two how can I tell them apart as these appear the same, do you have info on how to sex them?

What do you feed each size of yours again and can you recommend food for the size I have?

You say there is now way to know what % will be male or female, is that due to the fact these are hybrids or is that just the general rule?

Also at what size and age should these spawn at and do I need to keep there water at a certain temp or supply something for them to spawn?

Do you know what water temps these can handle, I believe you said the Blues were down to 45 degrees?

Like I said since there were free it allows me to try this project out and see if I am able to keep them alive and grow them out before I put down the money for True Blues.

So if this pans out and they make it until next spring than I will most likely get some blues and start over since that is what I want anyway.

Thanks

That's a lot of questions! Some ?'s simply can't be answered where others take hands on experience. Still more have been asked and answered a few times recently.

I feed nothing but Aquamax and like any fish, the feed size type depends on the size and type of the fish. The 4 Aquamax's I use are 5D00, 5D01, 5D04 and 5D09.

Any tilapia is a good fish to learn aquaculture with since you can kill them 5 or 6 times before their bellies get sunburned.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Well I was 1/2 right, haha. Rainman do you know much about T. Mariae (spotted tilapia). I have 6 in a 55g and 2 of them are building a nest. I'm going to move them to a 30g matched at 80 degrees and see if they will spawn.

Any thing I should look out for? I know theyre substrate spawners; and I planned on feeding crushed fishfeed.

I figure if I can pull off a substrate spawner then, Blues should be no problem! I might catch some at Lake julian in NC or see about having you some ship some to me. Thanks in advance!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Sorry, I don't know anything about that particular species. My expertise is in the Blue. I know a fair amount about Mozambique and Niles, but not a whole lot more than most. Others here raise those species and are much more informed than I.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Cool I appreciate it though! Theyre all pretty neat, colorful and interesting to watch I mean.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
After a little quick research on the Spotted Tilapia, seems to me that a clean bottom aquarium would be the easiest way to spawn your species with blocking screens to reduce agression toward others in the tank.

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
So how big does the Spotted Tlapia get and are they more of a tank species?

Just wondering as I know you can grow out and eat the Blues, Niles, and Mozambique.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I remember reading 15" or so. They actually were used in the aquarium trade for whatever reason. Now smaller species are more popular since they wont outgrow smaller tanks.

I have had 6 in a 55 gallon for almost a year. Theyve grown from 2-3" to 5-6.5". They seem to be picky eaters. Ive used regular fish feed and they love that. I find it strange that even though they arent carnivores they wont eat peas and other vegetables. I fed them some type of pond algae and they ate it. I feel like they would eat duckweed too. They may be similar to Blue Tilapia at feeding on bacteria off the floor, but perhaps a lesser degree.

Maybe other species are preferred due to their diet and filling different niches better (controlling plants, or reducing muck, or having lesser spawns than mouthbrooders). They supposed to be pretty aggresive too, but I've only noticed that they will switch between chasing each other for a few minutes then being calm for a few more.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
And thanks RM, I'll move the pair to the 30g since its already set up and established. I have just enough sand to cover the bottom so I wont bother adding more. I'll let everyone now if i get a big school of fry.

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Nilotica X Aurea.....Nile/Blue Hybrid

Rainman,

Does it make a difference in these hybrids which is male or female?

I was just wondering if you get a fish that looks different or grows faster and larger depending on the sex of each used in the cross?

Also do you know if you will be comming through Oklahoma next year to deliver any, or how close you will be to the NE part of the state.

Thanks

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I don't know, sorry.

I will be coming through there next spring.

S
S
Rex, Interested in stocking my pond with 'em as well...I'm in SE Indiana 6 hrs from St Louis I-74 West straight shot!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Snide, send me a PM and I will add you to the spring runs.

S
S
DONE wink

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Could this possibly me a Nile x Mozambique Hybrid?

I have been trying to back step where these have come from and may have come closer but the fish farm I talked to said they got there stock from a farm in Colorado and they originally came from Idaho.

Has anyone heard of Tilapia coming from that are or have any ideas if this is true?

Not sure what these were raised for or if mine will do me any good in my pond or not. Still trying to determine if I have both males and females and if they will spawn once stocked in a pond next spring.

I guess I will have to wait and see what happens assuming I do not kill them first.

Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by gehajake - 04/28/24 01:38 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build