Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
1 members (Croakin' Toad), 702 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Not that I have vast feeding experience, but as long as they'll eat it, I have to think there's nothing wrong with continuing the feeding schedule. I certainly don't think they'll ever quit getting a benefit from the food until they hit your fillet board. Up till then, even if they've maxed out on length, you can always add more weight from feeding.

Experts, am I off base on this?

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
As long as they eat, I believe it helps them. I feed as long as the water is warm enough. Not sure what temp that is. My BG feed until they are no longer hungry. My catfish feed as long as there are pellets floating.

Experts, am I wrong on this?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
If you are looking for max BG growth, when the water cools a little, say down to 80-85, I would start a 3rd and tnen a 4th feeding. As you add feeding times, you will see that they will feed for a little shorter time. They have small stomachs and benefit from more times per day, up to 4. If you live at the pond, a day per wk without feeding is also beneficial. I wish the timer manufacturers would get with the program and offer a skip a day, also a simple switch to cut off the feed motor, but allow the timer to keep running.

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I was wondering if 4 times a day at half the time I am feeding would be better than 2 times per day.

You think this is better for BG?

I think I can feed upto 6 times a day. I wonder if that would be even better, then again since I am not there I would have no idea what times they are feeding and what times they are not.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
If they are consuming all you feed, I would not cut down on the 2 prime times, but add 3rd feeding at 11am at 1/2 time, and as it cools more, add another and change the last feeding to 630. They like to feed in warm water, but they all will eat more in the 75 to 80 range.
Fatten em up for the winter. It seems thru testing that 4 is optimal and more than that does little if any good.

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I wish I could get out there more, or better yet live there and I would probably go ahead and feed all 6 settings and just have the extra 2 be just for the CC.

Since they are eating the Game Fish Chow do you think I ought to stay with it or change to Aquamax 400?

I was going to change just to give them the extra protein, but if for some reason I have to change back I and they not want to eat the GFC after getting used to AM, there may be problems.

Any Ideas?

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
I once again agree with BM (scary). Fall is a short window but one of the best times of the year to be feeding your fish- add mroe feeding not just ealry and alte liek you did in the hot summer months. THey ahev already began to feed well due to cooler nights.

However be aware of the cold snaps. This might happen soon to Canada clients. Here in the SE around mid November fish will slow way down- too cold so then set feeder to once per day at hottest part of day (3 pm) and fed this way until the stop feeding or keep it up all winter if they keep eating at minimum setting.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
So are we setting the feeder based on water temps or air temps?

Also I would love to leave mine up all year but my concern is the ice storms we have and would hate for it to fall in the water.

My plan is to try to leave it up during Deer season and then take it down.

Does this seem like a good idea?

Also if I do decide to take it down when should I consider putting it back up and what times are recomended as good feeding times for when i put it back up?

I have also read that the fish tend to loose weigth if you stop feedign them, I am guessing they may not loose as much during the winter, is this true.

What % of weight loss should I expect while the feeder is down and how long to get the weight back up and more once feeding starts again in the spring?

Thanks

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
surface temp, take down when fish stop feeding, next march/april when water temsp rise above 55 start with feeding haottest part of day, yes fish will lose weigth less with slower metabolism, too many variables to predict weight loss.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Thanks for the info, I hope to be over there again on Monday as that will make it 2 weeks and I bet the feeder will be empty and I did not want that to happen.

At any rate I bet the fish are about to bust as they will have been stuffing themselves for 3 weeks and I hope to see some change in growth even though I doubt much could change in 2 weeks.

I may at least get to see what other types have fish taken to the feed and possible catch a CC for the first time. May try some Stubby Steves or corn while the feed is floating, do you this this may work?

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Ok made it back yesterday to check the feeder and it was not empty so either it holds more feed than I thought or it was jammed.

At any rate we filled it back up and set it off to make sure it worked.

This fish pretty much at it all and I think more have come to eat as the water was popping louder than ever.

I think I need to think out the fish so the others can grow but I will continue this as it to see what happens.

Come to find out though I was feeding at noon not midnight.

Oh well I guess if they eat 3 times a day it will not hurt them.

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Do you think it would be wise to go ahead and get another bag of feed that will last me until the end of November or just quit when my feeder is empty in the next week or so?

Also how long can you store feed before it goes bad?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've kept pellets from October to early May and they still were good. If they get wet all bets are off. I kept mine in a metal trash can with a lid - it kept the mice from getting into it during the winter. The little buggers will chew thru plastic. I keep my food plot seed in an old chest type freezer that quit working. I toss in a bag of dessicant every year to keep moisture at bay.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
So a large 7 gallon bucket with a screw on lid would not be a good idea?

That is what I currantly use and have not had a problem, but it has not been tested for months of storage.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I had to store a 50# sack of feed. For a smaller amount, I think that bucket would work providing you don't have a rodent problem. Here in the barn, I can never get rid of them all, even with blocks of One-Bite poison and a couple of local barn cats.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Well it looks like we are getting some cooler weather now. What do you think the water temps can change to if the mornings are in the 30's and it gets up into the 70's?

How long will it take for it to get below 60 degrees?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Too many variables to give an answer. Wal-Mart might have some of their pool thermometers on sale. I bought one for about $6 during the summer they might be cheaper now. I also purchased an indoor/outdoor thermometer from them or Lowes for less than $10. Knowing the temp is better than guessing.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Ok can you tell me the easiest way to use them if I do not have a boat or anything to get out to the water?

Also what depths should I check?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I just tossed it in where the water was a foot deep or so and read the temp that way. Right now, all you are concerned about is surface temp.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Well went out to feed and the water is the clearest it has ever been I would say you can see 15-20 inches in the water.

The problem is the fish were not eating and I just bought a new bag of feed, and I wanted to see them as I could have identified many since you could see them.

When I walked around the pond there were fingerlings everywhere but they were so quick I could not make out what they were.

Anyway just wondered what would be the worst thing that could happen if I continue to feed the whole 50 pound bag and the food is not eaten?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
Anyway just wondered what would be the worst thing that could happen if I continue to feed the whole 50 pound bag and the food is not eaten?

You'll be out $30 or so for food that just went to waste.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
What about any water issues?

Would the cool weather help prevent them?

I may try to store it but would prefer the fish to eat it.

The were feeding like crazy just a week ago and could not get enough food, now not one is site.

Maybe once they adjust to the weather change.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
If you feed the fish daily, and they don't eat the food, it will either sink or blow in to the shore and something will eat it. I'd continue to feed - the fish food will be no good if you try to save it for spring.

Just do it...
M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I think the ducks have been coming in and eating it. While deer hunting the other day about 20-30 ducks landed on the pond in the area the feed hits.

Just a thought.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
One things for sure, wood ducks carry pocket watches. They usually fly in 15 minutes before the feeder goes off in the morning and evening.
They left about a week ago since the pond is getting a hard surface most nights and I just pulled the feeder.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward