Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS
18,531 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,015
Posts558,541
Members18,532
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bobbss, shooterlurespond, Theo Gallus, Bill Cody, catscratch), 581 guests, and 268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
I was wondering what techniques soome of you have used to feed train young BG & YP ?

I have about 12 BG in a tank that were from this years spawn, they range between 1.5 - 2 inches. They love Frozen Brine but I can't get them to touch the ground AM.

Thanks,

AF

1/2 acre 14' Deep. LMB, WE, YP, HBG, BG, Rainbows.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Attica Farmer
I was wondering what techniques soome of you have used to feed train young BG & YP ?

I have about 12 BG in a tank that were from this years spawn, they range between 1.5 - 2 inches. They love Frozen Brine but I can't get them to touch the ground AM.

Thanks,

AF

Two options:

1.) Buy some 5D100 and feed slowly until they go crazy when ever you add it. Keep in mind a bag as far more then you will ever need and costs about $45.00.

2.) Hydrate any size Aquamax in a ziplock bag. Add just enough water that you can initially see the water in the bag. You can always add more too. Shake the bag up several times for the first 10 minutes or so. The pellets should absorb the water if you didn't add too much. If you did, don't worry about it for fish this size. Keep turning over the bag when you set it down after each shake. In a couple hours or sooner the water will penetrate the pellet, and you can mold it in your hands like play dough if you didn't add to much. Be sure to refrigerate.

Break off some pieces and drop it into the water to them. If they are hungry enough they will get interested and will go crazy every time you put some in. Be sure to feed up to 4 X per day for fish this size. You can actually get a better feeding response if you add more fish.

Just remember ammonia is your enemy. If you feed and have no way to biofilter and clarify the water it won't take long for your fish to have problem. Aeration is not enough.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/24/10 08:18 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

A
OP Offline
A
I have been pre-soaking it. It sounds like it's a matter of just stopping with the brine and when they get hungry enough they will eventually take the AM ?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Attica, PM me your address and I will be happy to send you some properly sized Aquamax food.

You need to feed fish in a tank a COMPLETE diet. Regular Aquamax is a supplemental feed. Brine shrimp is also missing many nutrients your fish need.

Your smarter fish will figure out eating the food is a good thing right away. Many others will watch and learn. Some fish are just stupid and will never eat (those are the ones that get eaten first in a pond).

Last edited by Rainman; 08/25/10 08:17 AM.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Mine took to goldfish flakes and Beta food. Not sure if this is what they need or if it is missing anything or not but it does have 42-45% protein and 11-16% fat.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Should I feed my Sunfish and Minnows this, or would Aquamax be a better choice?

All I know is I do not need 50 pounds of this food.

Now I did have a Longear Sunfish and it would not eat anything but bugs (flies were his favorite) and GSF Fry -- but he was a little too aggressive so he is now in the pond. LOL

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I feed Aquamax 2000 now 1-pound coffie can twice a day to my fish. I then take about a 1/4 of a can shake it up real good which breaks it down to real small pc. then dump along bank. Fingerling rip it up.
But that just from an old man from Texas

Just working my pond for Grandkids
GET THE NET PAWPAW
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Goldfish food is for omnivores....sunfish are carnivores.

A
OP Offline
A
Rainman,

PM is sent..

Greatly appreciated.

The pond minnows are out growing my tank raised ones at this point even with 3-4 feedings of brine a day. Defeats the purpose of tank raising them if you ask me.

My goal it to feed train them through the winter, tag them and then release into the pond come spring.

Again,

I really appreciate your offer and appreciate your help.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Goldfish food is for omnivores....sunfish are carnivores.

So should I stop feeding them the food and switch to something else?

The protein and fat seem in a good range.

Like I said I this is new to me and they just took to the food so did not think much about switching since they eat it.

Would love to consider other options.

Thanks

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
the protein and fat content may be right, but it most likely comes from a vegetable sources rather than from quality fish meal/oils.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Regular Aquamax is a supplemental feed. Brine shrimp is also missing many nutrients your fish need.

???

I assuming when you say "regular Aquamax" you mean the larger sizes like 5D06 that has less protein?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/27/10 07:49 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Does this make a difference, if so how much are we talking?

I have tried to get them to eat some of my Game Fish Chow with out luck. Once I get my feeder up and switch to Aquamax maybe they will take to it.

Would there be a preferred type of Aquamax if trying to feed BG, CC, and maybe even some LMB, if so what size of it should I get?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Regular Aquamax is a supplemental feed. Brine shrimp is also missing many nutrients your fish need.

???

I assuming when you say "regular Aquamax" you mean the larger sizes like 5D06 that has less protein?

No Cecil. With the possible exception of 5D07, 5D00 through 5D09 are all complete diets. I mis-spoke and should have said Game Chow (or regular pond fish foods) instead of Aquamax. Sorry about the confusion.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

No Cecil. With the possible exception of 5D07, 5D00 through 5D09 are all complete diets. I mis-spoke and should have said Game Chow (or regular pond fish foods) instead of Aquamax. Sorry about the confusion.

No biggie I was just trying to figure out your reasoning. The smaller starter sizes do have much higher protein though than the larger 5D05 and 5D06.

A
OP Offline
A
Does anyone have suggestions on how to get them started on pellets ? I am still feeding the brine shrimp but they are growing. Brine shrimp is only 4% protien and I would really like to get them on crushed pellets.

When I toss the ground pre-soaked pellets in they look at it and swim way... they show no interest in it at all. Should I starve them for a few days and then try the pellets again ?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
CityDad, DiamondDave, the stick
Recent Posts
Trapping the Crays
by Boondoggle - 05/18/24 05:17 PM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by H20fwler - 05/17/24 10:51 AM