Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,999
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Sunil, FishinRod, Fishingadventure, Deancutler, JoshMI, Joe7328), 1,362 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#232102 08/24/10 09:43 AM
M
OP Offline
M
[originally placed in "site selection" but didn't get a bite]

Hello All!

I feel that I just stumbled across a gold mine. I have seen the magazine but subscribing is on my personal "to do" list and not on the "honey do" list. Well, if your're married you probably get the picture.

For instance, we have a ten acre, narrow (300' x 1800'), east to west spread and our house sits on a 300' X 300' cleared plot at the top or east end of the lot (upstate NY). We bought the forested lot in 2002 and the first tool I invested in was a Husky chain saw followed by I good 300' engineers tape. Thru the grace of the Almighty, I still have all my appendages, toes and fingers but my hearing isn't as good as it once was especially when my wife is saying something to me.

I just knew that I needed a compact tractor/loader or skidsteer but ran into the "to do list" priorities conumdrum. Since then, I've herniated a lower and upper (cervical) disc and have developed chronic lyme disease (as an aside, it dosen't go away. Just goes dormant like malaria. Huge fight in the medical field on how to diagnose and treat it which is all about, you guessed it, money). As for the tractor my wife thinks I just want another toy and, besides, she tells me that I have a lot more healthy discs to go!

My kids are 11 and 9 and I am lucky enough to have figured out that my highest priority is being with them as I'm pushing 55. So we do various outside projects, tree house w/ small wood stove that secretly doubles as a tree stand overlooking our sloped wooded bottom land with mucho deer trails, zip line, etc.

We have a seasonal spring (9-10) months that drains down into the woods and goes underground. A second spring surfaces a little further down and then it goes underground finally making its way to a narrow but long wetland that goes south to north. Our last project was a raised serpentine foot bridge made out of free hardwood pallets set on raised hardwood rails with spaced footings of hardwood cordage. It is still high and dry, great for watching the different critter and gives us access to the rest of our property that continues as a hardwood forest.

Okay, here's my idea. Well, before the wetland on relatively level ground sits an area that I always felt would make a good but small (40'diameter)vernal pond site if I could "capture" the water from the two springs along with a sizable run0off from our watershed. Well, the shallow vernal pond idea gave way to a possible small swimming hole as I felt I could always get some water and spillway it to the wetland. I also came across a good and thick liner that is as large as the pond site. My idea is to build a small waterfall fed by underground piping from the spring areas about 200' feet up hill from the pond site. That way I would always have a trickle of water falling in to the pond to keep away skeeters and oxegenate the pond. I don't care for flora, fauna or fish, just something nice for the kids with perhaps a pea gravel bottom over laying the liner. The site is in the forest so it won't get much sunlight that would cause growth, etc. Of course it would be nicely landscaped with indigenous rocks and ferms and my idea is to make it as natural-looking as possible.

Now, after that rambling introduction, I would appreciate any advice on: (1) capturing and sending the "clean" spring water to the site and (2)capturing as much run off water from our watershed to send also. I envision a direct pipe underground from the spring but also want to feed any and all other water via angled and lateral branches of trenches or UG piping that would feed the main line. What I need is advice on the details, type pipe (perforated or solid) fabric, stone under/around the pipe and whether I'll need some type of sand, etc. filter before the H2O reaches the pond.

I'm sure that I could piece all of your valuable insight from the archives but it's August and I'm "burning daylight" and can't afford the time right now. So, any ideas?

Thanks so much and I am immediately adding this site to my favorite list.

Steve

Steve Schassler
MyKidsDad #232104 08/24/10 10:01 AM
C
C
Hello, and welcome to Pondboss! This site is great and prepare for some expert opinions to come shortly.

MyKidsDad #232105 08/24/10 10:02 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm afraid that I won't be much help. If you are looking on transferring water, I would use solid pipe. The perforated will lose water unless it's to be used as a drain.

Without some sort of predators in there and keeping it natural you will have skeeters breeding in there.

What is sounds to me is that you want a natural man made swimming pool, which is VERY hard to do, expecially in a forest environment without a huge filtration system with a large skimmer to deal with the leaves.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #232137 08/24/10 02:41 PM
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I just came across a natural swimming pool in a forested area that was absolutely beautiful. There was a little more algae in the wetland area than the guy was expecting but it was only 5 months old, not heavily planted and dogs are allowed to freely roam around in the wetland area. Filtration was via gravel and wetland only. The main body of the pool had very good water quality and looked very inviting. My only concern (nominal as it may be) with this setup is sanitation. But a UV sterilizer could solve that problem. By the way, these are usually closed recirc systems with inflow only as needed to keep the pool full. The source water was from a well. Do a google image search for Natural Pools. It may give you some ideas.

Richard Dennis
EP Aeration
rich@epaeration.com
www.epaeration.com
(800) 556-9251

WaterWizard #232346 08/25/10 10:16 PM
B
B
Not sure about the waterfall situation but add small rock to the springs and creeks that feed the pond, then add larger rock to it (so the little rock doesn't get washed away) this will help filter the incoming water. Plants help filter too, so if you find the right kind you can plant them in the watershed area to.

Look up Natural floating islands they help filter water also and you can stand, picnic, dive off etc. Word of warning that they may attract snakes but in all honesty even without them expect to have a few visitors.

Edit: I'd also add a fountain in it.

Last edited by Bass Shepherd; 08/25/10 10:28 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 05:13 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM