Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M
18,498 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,949
Members18,499
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
6 members (Boondoggle, Dave Davidson1, Angler8689, Sunil, highflyer, Bill Cody), 1,112 guests, and 153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#227418 07/21/10 08:07 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Last weekend, at the end of another butt-bustin work day on the gar/apt at the pond project, I sat down at the picnic bench under the trees to hide from the setting sun and just stared out over the water.

• I noticed how the black eyed susans and prairie coneflowers were blooming strong this year, likely due to the extensive rain and hot weather.
  • Then, I noticed how they were blooming in areas that were either not seeded (some 3 years ago), or in areas that were seeded but too shady and had not bloomed much....until this year. It looked nice and was a vegetation invasion that I appreciated.
  • Then, I thought about how I should share this natural occurrence with the PB forum; maybe take some pics or a short walking video.
  • Then, I thought about how big Al (ahvatsa to our PB family) once PM'd me way back when I first started my seeding project for wildflowers. He said that he had an area near his pond where he wanted to try the same thing.
  • Then, I got a little sad knowing that he probably never got around to fulfilling that wish.
  • Then, I quitely said to myself "so, whaddayathink, Al?"

-
I wonder how big Dave (davatsa to our PB family) and his new career is coming along. I miss his posts and wish he would check in to let us know how the Vastsa's are doin' way down in San Antone.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I know that Dave still looks at the forum from time to time. I think he sent a note to DIED a few days back.

I have Dave's cell number if anyone wants to reach him.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I miss big Al as well. I got to spend some time with him at the Pond Boss 2 conference, he was truly an exceptional person.

In my heart of hearts I believe that Big Al, Greg Grimes's dad, my dad and DIED's brother Mike are fishing the ultimate honey hole in heaven.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I still lurk and read PB, but obviously I haven't posted much lately.

The Vatsas are doing well...we're all just staying busy. I'm working hard and enjoying as much time as possible with my wife and the rest of the family.

I miss Big Al tremendously, but I'm proud that he enjoyed life to the very end, helped others along the way, and raised a great family.

Bski, I know my dad would've been impressed with the finishing touches you're putting on your place. We both enjoyed watching the LNP project come to life just as much as we enjoyed making our own pond projects come to life.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks B'ski - its good to sit and remember our blessings. Al was and still is a blessing for the many he helped and touched. I have no doubt that the many that have gone before us are there watching and helping us on our journey. If you will just sit sincerely in silence and listen with an open mind you will hear them.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Al still inspires me on a regular basis. My office is thriving in part to some great advice from Al.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Today is the third anniversary of my dad's passing, and a conversation I had with Bruce reminded me of this thread. I wish Big Al could've been here to see so many recent changes in my life (starting a career and making him a grandfather) and to see all of the new (and ongoing) projects here on Pond Boss. He drew great inspiration from the posters and the creativity on this forum. As I mentioned above on July 21, 2010: "he enjoyed life to the very end." And now I'll add this: that enjoyent was in no small part due to the relationships and information he gleaned from Pond Boss.

While the chapter on our pond project has closed, what he did and learned about managing those big puddles will not go to waste. Some day, some how, some way, I will continue both of our dreams with another pond project.

Just wanted to check in and share with the Pond Boss family.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: davatsa
Today is the third anniversary of my dad's passing, and a conversation I had with Bruce reminded me of this thread. I wish Big Al could've been here to see so many recent changes in my life (starting a career and making him a grandfather) and to see all of the new (and ongoing) projects here on Pond Boss. He drew great inspiration from the posters and the creativity on this forum. As I mentioned above on July 21, 2010: "he enjoyed life to the very end." And now I'll add this: that enjoyent was in no small part due to the relationships and information he gleaned from Pond Boss.

While the chapter on our pond project has closed, what he did and learned about managing those big puddles will not go to waste. Some day, some how, some way, I will continue both of our dreams with another pond project.

Just wanted to check in and share with the Pond Boss family.

Thank you for the update. We all want to create. We all want to try new things. We all want to share. We all want to be loved. We all miss those who've passed. We're all so very fragile. If there's one singular thing that I'd like to take from Al is that you need to appreciate all the things and people around you. They're all gifts from our Maker. Give for giving's sake. It's the right thing to do.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Dave, I still think of Al.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Hey Dave,
Thanks for checking in. Your accomplishments, both career and family, surely brings a smile to Al. You can be assured of this, every time you see a rainbow. I hope your sis' is doing well, too.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Dave, you were blessed to have Al as a father, and we were all blessed to know him!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Dave I have been checking on you and you are doing well. Al is smiling ! Al is the only person I have dedicated a PB talk/program to. He always took the time and made the effort to go way beyond the extra mile in helping people. Here's to you Al !!

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Nice post guys. Dave, I remember at one of the PB Conventions, you, me, Big Al
and someone else shared a table. After a while you took a break, and I watched
Al as you walked away - nothing was said but I could see & feel the pride that he
had in/for you. He was a good man and raised a quality son...
Randy

Just do it...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
somewhat faded, but never forgotten memories....

This was my rookie post on PBF; Al was right there from jump-street. There are some excellent Al'isms in there.
-
From within that thread is this link that I think all of Al's pals will enjoy.

Originally Posted By: ahvatsa
Hope this works!

Brettski, you seemed surprised at the co$t I posted... this shows the "character and unique design" we wanted.

You have been invited to visit a photo album
http://photobucket.com/albums/b165/ahvatsa/

Will be adding more pictures, 80 tons of rock and gravel due to arrive today.

Click slide show.

ALL COMMENTS WELCOMED!

Learned alot, 2 more ponds planned for next year.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Sunil - 04/24/24 08:07 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM