Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,976
Posts558,123
Members18,509
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,562
ewest 21,502
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
2 members (Boondoggle, Pat Williamson), 847 guests, and 226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Sandman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
I have a piece of land that includes two ponds that are about 10 acres each. These are old borrow pits from when the adjacnet highway was built. As such, they are pretty much big flat rectangles. The soil is sandy, so the ponds draw down significantly in the dry part of the year. Right now they are down about 3 feet from the spring. They both probably average about 3 or 4 feet deep right now. I seem to have good populations of LMB, and they feed on hordes of small GSF primarily. The bottoms are covered with 1-2 feet of grass, which provides most of the cover.

I would really like to add some structure / deeper water. Each pond has one small deep hole (2-3 feet deeper than the rest) that seems to hold most of the LMB in the summer months. In winter and spring when the water is high and stained, you can catch them anywhere.

Here is my idea: Rent a trackhoe when the water is low, and start from the bank, digging a deep trench on each side, piling it in the middle to create a levee that will serve as the working surface to continue working out. This will give me a point surrounded by deep water. I can do this in each pond and go as far out as I want. Due to the size of the ponds, I can't come up with a more cost effective way to improve habitat.

I have felled quite a few trees along the banks to provide cover, but that does not address the problem of how shallow the water gets in summer/fall.

What do you guys think? Am I overlooking anything? Any other ideas?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Interesting questions, sandman. I'd love to see pics of your place.

With that much water loss each year, structure would definitely need to be planned so you have coverage in all phases of the year. Keep in mind that it's probably a better idea to plan out the location, type, and size of the structure you are using so it follows a logical plan that is more likely than not to hold fish. Dropping trees randomly may not be the best way to achieve those goals, so you might want to give some thought to where the trees are located relative to any other work you do.

There are some great structure/habitat threads on the forum, so be sure to search around for them and read up. If I'm not mistaken, a general recommendation is that no more than 25% of your BOW should have structure so you can avoid spreading the fish out all over the place.

I really like your idea of going in while the water is low and adding mounds and ridges, etc, if that's what you're suggesting. That would be a great way to use dirt to create actual structure such as ledges, shelves, mounds, peninsulas, etc. around which you can then work to add attractants such as trees, PVC structures, and types of stuff to draw fish in.

I think you'll get lots of great ideas, so just hang on and, again, consider posting some pics so we can see what you are working with. It sounds like a really interesting setup.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That's what I would call a structure tour de force! If a pondmeister can't find a solution there, he ought to stick to swimming pools!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
S
Sandman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
There are some pretty cool ideas there, some of which I would like to do. My problem is that right now, all of that would stick up above the water. I am thinking that I really need to add some depth in some areas before I can really take advantage of any ideas to create structure.

The eastern pond has one deep hole (2 or 3 feet deeper than anywhere else in the pond, probably about 6 feet deep right now) in the NE corner. Most of the fish we are catching at this time of year seem to be hanging close to this hole, which is really small (20 x 30 feet maybe).

The western pond has a larger area of deep water (a trench about 20 feet wide by maybe 100 feet long) but it is about a foot shallower (about 5 feet) than the deep hole in the other pond. Once again, right now all the fish we are catching are hanging close to this trench.

The water is crystal clear, and I am thinking as the water temperature goes up, the fish are sticking to the deepest water they can find. During the winter and spring, rainfall and run-off keep the water much deeper and stained enough that the fish spread out over the entire ponds.

I have caught some nice fish, and some decent numbers. The fishing just really goes down in the dog days of summer.

I attached an aerial view. That is all I have for a picture right now.

Attached Images
Glenmora Ponds.jpg
Last edited by Sandman; 07/13/10 03:12 PM. Reason: correction
S
Sandman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Here is the same photo with the existing deep areas marked off. Keep in mind that the rest of both ponds are almost flat, maybe 3 to 4 feet deep in the north ends gradually sloping to 1 or 2 feet deep on the southern ends. They pulled the dirt out from North to South, thus the gradual slope and flat bottom.

Attached Images
glenmora ponds2.jpg
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I agree you need more water that is a little deeper. A track hoe can fix that. It can dig holes and make mounds all at once. You might need some ag lime with all the pine trees.

From the pics are the ponds at Glenmora ? If so my mother was raised there.

Last edited by ewest; 07/13/10 08:37 PM.

S
Sandman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Yep, about 2 or 3 miles West of Glenmora on Hwy 113.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sandman, I think you came up with a very good solution to your problem.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
There were a few gas wells in that area at one time. Are these old reserve pits ?

Last edited by ewest; 07/14/10 08:46 PM.

S
Sandman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S

"There were a few gas wells in that area at one time. Are these old reserve pits ?"

I am not 100% sure, but I do not think so. I am relatively certain that these were borrow pits were they excavated clay to build Hwy. 113. I have been told that the ponds have been flooded by the Calcasieu River in the past, but that has not happened since we have owned the land (late 2005 / early 2006). It did back up through the overflow once.

I am pretty sure I am going to put my plan in motion, the question is just when. I may not be able to do it until next summer. I just wanted to see what you guys thought first, to make sure I am not overlooking anything and end up making a big mistake.

I know a common concern is digging in to a sand layer and developing a leak, but with the soil being so sandy throughout and as much leakage as there already is, I can't imagine it getting any worse. Two summers ago it got so low that some high spots in the bottom of the pond became dry. I walked out onto sand flats and planted cypress trees that were in five feet of water the following spring.

Last edited by Sandman; 07/16/10 02:51 PM. Reason: revise
S
Sandman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Well, mother nature helped me out to some extent. The drought down here has reached the point where both of my ponds are now dry. We did bring in a trackhoe a few months back and dug a large deep area in the East pond. At the time there was still water in the West pond so we didn't do any digging in it. I am interested in what happens if they ever fill back up... Of course, I may have to restock now.

S
Sandman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Here is the East pond. As you can see it is down from 10 acres to about 2 acres of water and most of that is about 6" deep. It is actually much drier now, with only the far back corner int he picture and the area we deepened holding any water at all. The West pond now looks about like this picture.

Attached Images
2010 E Pond Dry 1.jpg
Last edited by Sandman; 08/19/11 03:41 PM. Reason: add pic
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Wow! I'm sorry to see that. All the work that we do on the ponds just to have them dry up.

Yeah, with water that shallow, I don't know what will survive.

It might be better to kill it if it doesn't completely dry up, and make sure that only the fish that you want in there, are.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
What is the width of the strip of land between the 2 ponds?

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
J
Fingerling
Fingerling
J
The water levels on my ponds are really low as well. My upper pond is about a half acre at full pool but now is down to 1/4 of that size. The dry areas are growing weeds and volunteer trees. Assuming that the drought will end at some point, what if anything should I be doing now with respect to the new vegetation?

S
Sandman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
I was back out there this past weekend, and the East pond is completely dry, except for the new deep holes we dug. There is not a fish left in that pond.

The West pond has a deep strip down the middle that I could see some fish still moving in, but I can't imagine many surviving with it as low as it is. They are easy prey to predators as it is.

S
Sandman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Here is a pic of the West pond from this past weekend. The area to the left is the remaining deep water. The water you can see to the right is only about a foot deep and full of grass.

Oh, and the strip of land between the two ponds is probably about 200 yards wide.

Attached Images
W Pond Dry 0811.jpg
Last edited by Sandman; 08/24/11 04:34 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
mark12, Wood
Recent Posts
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 12:00 AM
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by FishinRod - 05/01/24 09:46 PM
How much feed?
by TEC - 05/01/24 09:41 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 09:10 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 09:00 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 08:48 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 05/01/24 08:03 PM
New pond stocking