Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
2 members (gehajake, nvcdl), 1,325 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#224963 07/06/10 08:34 AM
O
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
O
Just over a year ago (April 2009), we stocked 50 CC that were about 4-6" long. I fed "generic" floating catfish food last year, and started with that again this summer before switching over to AquaMax. My friend and I caught 8 of these over July 4 weekend but only kept 6. They were so fat! Also thinned out a couple dozen bullheads...

Caught these on worms with a cork about 5' deep. FUN! FUN! FUN! grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Nice!!!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Those are some beautiful critters -- and I'm sure, quite delicious.

I have a love-hate relationship with those things. They are so easy to take care of, they grow so fast, they are fun to catch, they are great to eat -- but, they sure make pests of themselves when they get to 30 inches and bigger.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Your picture is very encouraging to some of us just getting started. I stocked some 6-8" CC early this spring. I am feeding daily when I'm home, less often when I'm on the road. My plan is for them to be the size as yours next summer. I get a good look at them when I'm feeding and I think I'll meet that goal.

We plan to harvest some next year and add a few more.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
If one is not feeding theirs how big should they expect them to be at one year old if stocked at 4"-6"?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Assuming they've got adequate forage, I would think that in most cases you could expect them to be in the 8-12 inch range, just not as fat as Okie's. However, as I recall, you mentioned in one of your posts that you stocked a very large quantity of them in a moderate size pond. That could really hold back their growth if they are fighting each other for a limited amount of local pond forage.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Yes there way to many in the pond, that is why I was checking to see what to expect.

If they can catch the HBG they have plenty to eat as it is full of them as well.

Plus there should be some FHM and GSH for them to munch on as well.

Once the rain stops I plan to go back and try to catch some again.

I may even try to take some Jug Lines and set them out while I am there. If no luck I may just leave them and see if they will bite while I am gone.

The problem with that would be they may die before I get back over to check them again.

Oh well at least I can see if they are still in there and how much they have grown.

I still plan to start feeding as well so I hope that will put some weight on them.

Any recommendations on the amount to feed them when starting out and this time of year?

Thanks

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
Oh well at least I can see if they are still in there and how much they have grown.

I still plan to start feeding as well so I hope that will put some weight on them.

Any recommendations on the amount to feed them when starting out and this time of year?

Once you start feeding you will get a pretty good idea of their size. For all of the fish, it may take them several days, to a couple of weeks, to start coming up for food. I'd probably start with the equivalent of about a large coffee mug's worth of pellets until you see how well they respond. That is about what I start with each springtime. In a couple of weeks, I'm up to about four times that much. You want to put out enough feed for them to consume in 15 or 20 minutes -- or until they quit feeding. They won't overeat, but no sense in letting a bunch of it sink to the bottom and rot.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
So what part of OK you from?

Where did you get your fish from that you stocked?

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Catmandoo - Why are CC a pest when they get big?

O
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
O
So what part of OK you from?

Where did you get your fish from that you stocked?

We're in NW Oklahoma and used Dunns Fish Farm.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RAH
Catmandoo - Why are CC a pest when they get big?

They begin to cause multiple issues as they get about 22 to 25 inches. There comes a point where they become very wise and very hook smart. Part of the hook smartness comes from them attacking baits or flies intended for bluegills. As the catfish grow to a brute size, it is pretty hard to control a 30-inch catfish on an ultralight with 4 lb., test line, or a flyrod with a very light tippet. They will grab a bait on an ultralight or flyrod, and run with it well into cover and structure, or around your dock, where they will become so entangled that you have no choice but to break your line. They learn real quick from such an adventure.

Then, think of the Cheshire cat's smile when you think of a channel cat's very wide mouth.

I don't mind feeding while I can still catch one or two for a catfish dinner or neighborhood fish fry, like this little guy that my grandson dragged in.

Once they hit the "tipping point" where they become very hard to catch, they can make a single sweep like a huge skimmer or vacuum cleaner. When they get to this size,

just one catfish can skim through the floating pellets intended to feed 25 big bluegill. When there are several of them, they look like a wolfpack of sharks skimming the surface.

Come early summer, they get pretty randy. They start to excavate huge caves in the steep sides of ponds so they can impress multiple girlfriends. If you don't know the cave is there, it is murder on a tractor, heavy mower, or your leg. Once they get their cave done, you need to become a noodler to get them out. (We're now extremely fortunate to have a lot of good Okies on the forum who can give great inspiration and noodling directions.)

If they make it through the breeding season without getting noodled, then they are real hungry. They start scouring the bottom of your pond, where they stir up everything. Your pond becomes muddy.

Other than that, they are pretty good -- especially with cornbread!

Good noodlin'
Ken

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ken:

What did you end up using to catch the CC in your pond? (I was reading the threads from '06.) Still have the Koi?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
so have you had pretty good luck with your Dunns fish?

What all did you get from them?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Ken:

What did you end up using to catch the CC in your pond? (I was reading the threads from '06.) Still have the Koi?

The most effective method of catching them was to throw chunks of shrimp into the area where I'd then throw a #4 circle hook baited with a full shrimp. I found that the best time for them was near dusk.

Edit -- Yes, the big orange and black koi is still healthy and fun for everybody to see. He's huge, but doesn't cause any issues that I know of. Several weeks ago some friends came over to help get the trout out. The husband is color blind. The wife had just had cataract surgery. She could see the koi as an orange blur. He couldn't see it at all. She thought she had another eye problem.

Last edited by catmandoo; 07/07/10 06:26 AM. Reason: added note about koi

O
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
O
Ken, thanks so much for that detailed explanation! We've always fished someone else's ponds/lakes, and I never thought about the issues you mentioned as they relate to pond management. And the catfish in your last picture sure did look good! smile Guess I'll just have to fish more often...tough job, but somebody's gotta do it. HA! HA!

MrHello: Just CC and LMB.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks Ken. Last night I strung a 100 hook trotline in the pond, baited with liver, hotdog and shrimp, alternating baits. 0 fish this a.m. (at least I didn't feel any on it when I pulled on it, I'll run it this evening) Depth ran from shallow to deep, then back to shallow, and it even ran in front of the feeder.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Maybe stop feeding for a couple days and starve them a bit... That is what my dad's friend does when he wants to make the fishing a bit easier.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That might work. I haven't seen any hitting the feed tho. I caught a few from a neighbors pond for a July 4th fish fry and they were egg/milt laden.

I'll shut it down this evening.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Catmandoo - I guess that don't mind the big catfish because I don't feed my fish. I also am happy to fight a big fish on light tackle, but I have a kayak handy if I need it to reach a tangled line (not needed yet with a fish on). I just hate getting Big CC off the lure since they are getting too big to grab hold of and lift out of the water. I managed to get my thumb caught real bad on a lure still securely hooked in a 2' CC a couple of years ago, and finally had to just pull the barb back out the hard way, but beer was involved...

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I agree with everything ken just stated about catfish. They are a great fish when small but when they get really large they are not so good to eat and they eat all of the pellets intended for the smaller fish. I would recommend removing all of the very large catfish you catch even if you end up having to just throw them on the bank. From what I have read on the forum most fish kills can be traced to having too many large catfish in a small pond.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Did you happen to weigh them or get their length?

Have you eaten them yet?

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Catmandoo,

Ok how large is that pond with the boy in it and is that your pond?

How big was the large catfish in the picture below that one and how old would you say it was?

Also that sure looks good in the pan, can you tell us the secret to cooking that and making it look so good?

I think I can smell it!!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: James Holt
I would recommend removing all of the very large catfish you catch even if you end up having to just throw them on the bank.

I really agree with Jame's comment. I start taking them out when they are larger than 18 inches, which happens late the first season, or during the second season for the 10-12 inchers I've stocked. I still always have a few that are smarter than me, and get into the 25-30 inch range.

Ok how large is that pond with the boy in it and is that your pond?

How big was the large catfish in the picture below that one and how old would you say it was?

Also that sure looks good in the pan, can you tell us the secret to cooking that and making it look so good?

I think I can smell it!!!

Yes, that is my pond. It is about 0.7 acres.

I don't quite remember how big the larger catfish was, but I think it was 35-36 inches. I'm guessing it was 6-8 years old.

As for cooking them -- I filet and skin them. Then I cut the filets into about 2x2 inch squares. Todd3138 captured the cooking method starting in this post Fish Fry. It works for most any fried and battered fish. The trick to battering fish is to coat the fish with a tasty breading before battering them.

Good Eatn'
Ken

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: Okie Writer
Just over a year ago (April 2009), we stocked 50 CC that were about 4-6" long. I fed "generic" floating catfish food last year, and started with that again this summer before switching over to AquaMax. My friend and I caught 8 of these over July 4 weekend but only kept 6. They were so fat! Also thinned out a couple dozen bullheads...

Caught these on worms with a cork about 5' deep. FUN! FUN! FUN! grin

Have you been back out, or has it been just too hot to fish?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by gehajake - 04/28/24 01:38 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build