Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#223361 06/24/10 07:58 AM
C
Cisco Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
I just saw this this morning on Yahoo. It doesn't look good
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100624/ap_on_bi_ge/us_asian_carp_great_lakes

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Cisco #223363 06/24/10 08:19 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Sadly for those of us in the region that have been following this it's no surprise. frown Our politicians and court system have once again let us down where they sided with short term big money interests over our environment, and what will be long term monumental financial losses for the region.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Cecil Baird1 #223373 06/24/10 09:44 AM
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
As close as i live to it, i actually don't hit the mississippi too often. However, as little as i am there, and as terrible a fisherman as i am, even I have taken 4 of those #$@&* carp out. Seems like no matter what bait i am using they are willing to take it. Jigging across the bottom works well.

I've never hooked into a 4', 100lb one before, but have had a few good 3 & 4 lb ones.

One time, they actually provided me with a really cool experience. I unhooked it, and banked it, just threw it away from me up on shore. I tried to walk downstream a little and WHOOSH! overhead a bald eagle flies over, grabs the fish and takes it a few yards away to devour it. Cool sight to see.

But yeah, i hate the stupidhead carp.

Last edited by skinnybass; 06/24/10 09:45 AM.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.
skinnybass #223380 06/24/10 11:16 AM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Someone brought these over right to raise them for food?

I am guessing they decided they were not as good as Crappie and let them go.

We sure do appreciate your help getting these established.

Anyway off my soapbox, has anyone here tried to eat one?

MRHELLO #223384 06/24/10 11:43 AM
C
Cisco Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Aren't these the same fish I see these guys on TV bowfishing for that jump in the air when an outboard goes by? Seems like a worthless fish.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Cisco #223391 06/24/10 12:18 PM
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
absolutely worthless. And they eat anything too, including the white crappie i fish the Miss for, as well as LMB, when it isn't size prohibitive, of course.

Yeah, in the Kaskaskia river there is a drunken Asian carp derby....guys in jon boats tool off down the river, making the fish jump. Other guys in the boat have beer and nets, you try to get as many in your boat as possible. It's crazy to watch, like a lacrosse game with huge leaping fish. And seriously, they jump out of the river by the hundreds.

I'm sure someone has seen these videos on youtube, it was in the news a few weeks back. Apparently it's pretty dangerous, one of these fish can easily jump up and hit you in the face going 30mph down the river.

you know what hurts? 5lbs of fishmeat at 30mph. at least so says billy-bob, the guy with the black eye they interviewed afterwards.

But....they get more of them out than i do, so maybe i shouldn't judge.

Last edited by skinnybass; 06/24/10 12:20 PM.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.
skinnybass #223396 06/24/10 12:59 PM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A

PAUL
MRHELLO #223399 06/24/10 01:37 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
Someone brought these over right to raise them for food?

All I know is at least one variety was brought over by fish farmers to control snails and they got away via some flooding. There was also a fish farmer that moved some illegally and got caught and fined terribly and may have even done some jail time.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Cecil Baird1 #223735 06/27/10 04:02 PM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I am so sick of this crap by the gov't. They only study something to death so they don't have to do anything or they just won't enforce what they have on the books. Many of these great fisheries, shorelines and wildlife habitat have been squandered away via death by committee.

ceadmin #223738 06/27/10 04:19 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ceadmin
I am so sick of this crap by the gov't. They only study something to death so they don't have to do anything or they just won't enforce what they have on the books. Many of these great fisheries, shorelines and wildlife habitat have been squandered away via death by committee.

You hit the nail on the head but you forgot the part about special interest groups slowing things down, the influence money can buy through lobbyists, and corporations tying something up in court forever.

Cecil Baird1 #223739 06/27/10 04:33 PM
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
The horse is out of the barn. Money spent now is just part of the economic incentive plan. Keep folks busy so they don't get in trouble. We all get to pay.

RAH #223743 06/27/10 05:43 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RAH
The horse is out of the barn. Money spent now is just part of the economic incentive plan. Keep folks busy so they don't get in trouble. We all get to pay.

You got that right RAH. Let's just hope the carp don't adapt to the Great lakes (it's possible they won't) or may not end up as damaging as their worst critics claim they will be.

If this issue would have had 1/10th the urgency of the oil spill in the Gulf we could have licked this before it became a problem.

Cecil Baird1 #223744 06/27/10 05:55 PM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Maybe the should catch, cook them down and make some sort of fish cakes, or something else we could eat.

Or maybe they could be let go in the ocean to clean up the oil.

#223746 06/27/10 06:22 PM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

You hit the nail on the head but you forgot the part about special interest groups slowing things down, the influence money can buy through lobbyists, and corporations tying something up in court forever.

So where are we gona point ouer fingers, and start getting some results? Towards dose that caused it in the first place or inadequad politicans right or left wing trying to get it straigt?
Originally Posted By: RAH

Yeah right "we"(or maybee children grandchildren????) are gona pay the bill, some way or another.
Maybe time to adress isues in a practical matter, as recognizing the problems as real? in stead off arguing/discusing wether it's a political problem???????
To me or the future it's not important hoom let the horse out, or hoom is to blame,just flat out recognicing that it's out (the horse).
Agreeing on getting it in and keep it there should be #1 mutual intrest.
It seems to me that politicans left and right keep ordinary people bizze arguing about the political aproach to something that seems eassy, for plain ordinary left/right wing people with a litle common scense to sort out???????
So hoom is fooling hoom I ask?

Mods if this is to political please delete

PAUL
Cecil Baird1 #223773 06/27/10 08:59 PM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

lol...I was trying to keep my frustrations short but you are correct too many hands/variables that slow down the process. Wouldn't it be great if someone with the proper authority would stand up and clean out all of the red tape and lawyers that get involved in the process? Maybe we could get something done for the good of the country and in this case save the GL's fishery.

andedammen #223800 06/28/10 01:53 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: andedammen

Yeah right "we"(or maybee children grandchildren????) are gona pay the bill, some way or another.
Maybe time to adress isues in a practical matter, as recognizing the problems as real? in stead off arguing/discusing wether it's a political problem???????
To me or the future it's not important hoom let the horse out, or hoom is to blame,just flat out recognicing that it's out (the horse).
Agreeing on getting it in and keep it there should be #1 mutual intrest.
It seems to me that politicans left and right keep ordinary people bizze arguing about the political aproach to something that seems eassy, for plain ordinary left/right wing people with a litle common scense to sort out???????
So hoom is fooling hoom I ask?

Mods if this is to political please delete

Andy,

The asian carp thing was pretty much out of the hands of the common people as soon as it became a problem. Many of us tried to get something done "addressed the issue" complete with lawsuits and contacting our political representatives. Trust me everything was tried short of a violent protest. The courts decided what was best for us as they always do (we're stupid we don't know anything), which was closing the canal for the good of the Great Lakes was not an option. End of story. Closing the canal was the only option that would have closed the "barn door."

No blaming here. Just stating it like it is.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/28/10 01:58 AM.

Cecil Baird1 #223802 06/28/10 02:41 AM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Last year I asked an aquaculture instructor at cal poly what we could do to stop the asian carp from reaching the great lakes.

I'm paraphrasing, but his response was... "Nothing, we are screwed. It is just a matter of time as long as the waterway is intact"

Apparently it is virtually impossible (Based on pretty much every attempt we have made on other species in smaller bodies of water) to remove fish once they are transplanted and have acclimated...

All we can really do is sit back and see what happens to the fishery. Not exactly an ideal situation.

Dr. Flores D.V.M.
Gflo #223890 06/28/10 01:54 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Gflo
Last year I asked an aquaculture instructor at cal poly what we could do to stop the asian carp from reaching the great lakes.

I'm paraphrasing, but his response was... "Nothing, we are screwed. It is just a matter of time as long as the waterway is intact"

Apparently it is virtually impossible (Based on pretty much every attempt we have made on other species in smaller bodies of water) to remove fish once they are transplanted and have acclimated...

All we can really do is sit back and see what happens to the fishery. Not exactly an ideal situation.

My point exactly. To fill in the canal or at least permanently close it off was an option but was dismissed by the powers to be, and they stood around arguing with their fingers up their bottoms anyway. The Corps of Engineers even shut down the electric weir a few times! And something not very well known, there was a push to divert funding from the weir to DHS, but it was shot down. (Yes I have that from a very reliable source in my DNR.)

The canal is man made for heavens sake! It's not like it's a natural waterway. It was originally built to flush raw sewage into Lake Michigan. It's possible the economic loss that may have been lost by closing the canal and sending shipping entirely on land (filling it in) may be a pittance compared to the economic loss of all the Great Lakes states, if the carp gets established. That's the part that doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/28/10 02:01 PM.

Cecil Baird1 #223962 06/28/10 11:02 PM
D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
The sad part is that if the canal would be closed and companies started to lose money and folks started losing jobs how long do you think it would take for people to start intentionally dumping carp into Lake Michigan? That way they could say "Well the carp are already here so there is no reason to keep the canal closed". It would only take one person to do it.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
DJT #223973 06/28/10 11:52 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
As is the case with most fish, people will spread them. Snakeheads are just taking hold in the Potomac and as they become a common catch, people will start transporting them to other drainages. It is only a matter of time. First it will be adjacent rivers and soon, someone will catch 4 or 5 from a distant state and say hey I'd like to fish for them closer to my home and the rest will be history.

CJBS2003 #224011 06/29/10 11:39 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That's always a possibility but now it's a sure thing they will be in the Great Lakes. A twenty pond Asian carp was caught on the lake side of the weir and their DNA has been detected in Lake Michigan.

Cecil Baird1 #226342 07/14/10 09:33 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Quote:
Governor Quinn has a plan to end the asian carp problem and make the state money at the same time.
Several states have sued Illinois trying to prevent the fish from getting into the great lakes.
They're predatory and could upset the lakes ecosystem.
But in Asia, the fish are considered a delicacy.
Quinn unveiled an agreement between a Chinese meat packing company and an Illinois fishery which will send Asian carp to china.
He said it'll clean up our environment and create jobs at the same time.
The Governor says as much as 30-million pounds of fish could be sent to china by the end of next year.

Brettski #226388 07/14/10 03:25 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Now that would be good. Just have to limit sources so people don't get the idea they can plant some and get in on the deal.

ewest #226828 07/17/10 07:43 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I dont think the great lakes themselves are in danger directly of an asian carp invasion. The carps actually are filter feeders and don't eat much of anything else except what they filter out of the water. They will like the rivers much better than the big lakes, but here is the real danger which they will get too sooner or later- all of the streams, creeks, rivers, and tributaries that come and go into the big lakes. There are lots of them.

Every stream, creek, crick, river, tributary, waterway, etc that is connected to the Illinois river in my area is completely infested with the asian carps. Snagging is the only way to catch em with fishing gear.

Definitely need to make them worth some money so people will want to target them, but even then it seems like you would just be picking a corn field by hand.

n8ly #226863 07/17/10 10:48 AM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
The vast amount of money wasted on the electronic gate should now be used as a bounty for the fish...Coyotes were nearly wiped out from that lone incentive at one time and it would go a long way to controlling this species too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails