Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,007
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Sunil, SetterGuy, Dave Davidson1, catscratch, Boondoggle, jmartin), 919 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#222898 06/21/10 10:48 AM
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
This is a little late, but I figure better late than never.

I met FRIZ at his place on Wed afternoon and he showed me his new ponds. He bought a nice piec of land a while ago, and last year had two ponds dug, each about an acre. They were completed late last Fall, and due to unforseen circumstances, he just got fish in them this past week.

Each pond is about 12'-14' deep, and he will be stocking each one with different predators. He has been doing a LOT of lurking on the forum, and he's absorbed a considerable amount of information (actually, he knows a lot more than he thinks he knows). wink

I don't have the exact numbers of fish written down, so my numbers may be off a bit. As of right now, each of the ponds are stocked with 5# FHM, 5# 3"-4" GSH, 50 Gambusia each and 50 4"-6" RES. He also stocked the drainage ditch on one side of the property with a handful of FHM and Gambusia for mosquito control. I thought I saw a couple of 1"-2" GSF in the ditch as his kids were stocking the minnows, but since we didn't get any in hand, I'm not 100% sure. I am 100% sure that they weren't BG. The ditch had less than a foot of water in it, and it was at the most 3' across. The ditch will not connect to the ponds unless there is a tremendous amount of water in one "rain" event, and even at that I highly doubt that. The ditch is at least 500' from any pond.

His current plan is to let these fish multiply in the ponds until next Spring, then he will stock some more RES and the predators. One pond will be stocked with Smallies and Yellow Perch, and I'm not sure what the plan is for the 2nd pond. He is having a 3rd pond dug this year, which will be roughly about the same size as the others. In that pond he will stock the same forage base, but add BG and LMB. He'd like to stock it with CSBG. TJ, you'd better get a move on making cages and traps! grin

His daughter was behind the camera, and these are what she sent me via e-mail. I know she took lots more, but she's at summer camp now so I don't know when I'll get more. He's an absentee PondMeister, and I'll be keeping an eye on the place for him when I can - it's only 15 minutes away at the most.

The kids had a blast, and the driver of the truck had a good time explaining to the kids what pond stocking was all about. In that last tank on the drivers side he had 1,000# of CC that looked like they were about 2# or bigger. He was going to a place in Gary after this stop. You should have seen the kids' eyes when they opened the lid and the CC got to splashing! grin

Here's the RES getting transferred to the bucket:

GSH getting tempered in pond #2.

Swim, little fishies, Swim!

Here go the RES

When he pulled in by the pond, he pulled off of the gravel road a bit. That was a mistake. We had a good rainstorm the previous day, and there were some soft spots. Luckily there was some equipment on site, and the contractor was only about 20 minutes away. He came right over after FRIZ called. The 8 ton truck was pulled out like it wasn't stuck at all, and off to the next pond we went.

That's about it, I'll let FRIZ fill in any blanks.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Great commentary and congrats to FRIZ on the new fish!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Exciting! 3 one acre ponds... Man, that would be sweet!

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Thanks, Esshup, for this excellent and detailed post about the stocking of my ponds. You just forgot to mention the additional 50 4-6" RES in each pond. It is a privilege to call you my neighbor and friend. Your patience is boundless in explaining country living to me, especially everything concerning ponds.

And thanks to everybody who over the last year has taken so much time to answer all my questions.

FRIZ #223004 06/21/10 09:47 PM
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks for the kind words Friz. It was a pleasure watching the kids' eyes light up walking thru the woods. It's always fun watching a city person learn and see the different things out in the country. I should know, I was one once! You've got some great kids there.

Give yourself a couple more years and you'll be pretty comfortable out away from the concrete jungle. Being an absentee landowner makes it more difficult, but you pick up on things quick!

Did you check the truck for any frog stowaways? wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by SetterGuy - 04/29/24 07:02 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Willy Wonka - 04/29/24 05:23 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM