Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,782
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,505
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
4 members (Steve Clubb, FireIsHot, Augie, Bill Cody), 1,009 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Tom F Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
I was fishing today for BG using a piece of Gulp earthworm on a 1/32 oz jig on a ultralight Ugly Stik. I got a bite that at first thought was a LMB until this fish started stripping line. It made at least seven runs maybe more before I got it landed. I was trying to get it in and then back in the water as fast as possible because I remembered that George says these fish don't survive very well after being caught in warm water. My water temps are in the 80's. I got him back in the water but about ten minutes later he was floating belly up. After retrieving him I decided I would get my camera and take a couple pictures. This HSB was stocked in 2007 at 4-5" in length.

You have the world at your fingertips
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Nice fish!

So did he make it?

I was with a client at my pond yesterday, w/ water temps at 65 F. He fought an HSB for about 4 minutes. When we put it back in the water, he was laying on his side. I revived him and he slowly swam off. Didn't seem him floating all day so I hope he made it.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Awesome fish Tom! Congrats. Sorry you lost him though. frown

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Sunil, what's the best way to revive a stressed HSB?

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Originally Posted By: Omaha
Sunil, what's the best way to revive a stressed HSB?

I'm assuming a back rub and a cold beer, but I'll be anxious to hear Sunil's opinion.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Tom F
I was fishing today for BG using a piece of Gulp earthworm on a 1/32 oz jig on a ultralight Ugly Stik. I got a bite that at first thought was a LMB until this fish started stripping line. It made at least seven runs maybe more before I got it landed. I was trying to get it in and then back in the water as fast as possible because I remembered that George says these fish don't survive very well after being caught in warm water. My water temps are in the 80's. I got him back in the water but about ten minutes later he was floating belly up. After retrieving him I decided I would get my camera and take a couple pictures. This HSB was stocked in 2007 at 4-5" in length.

Tom, let me congratulate you on your trophy – a ~23 inch ~7+lb HSB on UL tackle should qualify as some kind of private waters record and
It must have been on heck of a battle and your angling skills are to be commended. I can imagine the fight you had on your hands, and even if it fought ‘til it died, it should have had the honor of respected guest at the dinner table.

It must be a northern thing because I can’t imagine UL fishing in any of our Texas waters – guess it’s a water temp thing.

I don’t give advice but always happy to share experience.
You may or may not know, my main pond goal was to attempt to grow HSB in Texas farm ponds with the skeptics advising against it, but by trial and error I was successful in reaching my goal.

It has often been repeated on the forum to stop fishing for HSB when the water temp reaches 80 degrees because HSB will fight ‘til they die unless landed quickly, revived and released. I go one step further and resuscitate in an oxygenated live well. To the best of my knowledge, over the years I have only lost one large HSB using this technique.

In order to achieve my goals I take all the precautionary steps.
I am strictly a fly fisherman because it provides versatility and challenge.
For HSB I use at least 8wt or larger rods with leader/tippet not less than 12 lbs. I still get a good run – sometimes into the backing, landing them quickly and if stressed from warmer water, resuscitate them in O2 live well with a Point Four diffuser.

It is my belief that all CPR fish should be landed quickly and released, not only HSB but also LMB and even trophy BG’s. Just because they swim away doesn’t mean they survive.

Again, congratulations on your trophy HSB.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Sorry, I didn't catch that the HSB died.

george has the ultimate method of revival for his fish.

In my case, I just moved him back and forth in the water to get water over his gills.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Nice fish!

So did he make it?

I was with a client at my pond yesterday, w/ water temps at 65 F. He fought an HSB for about 4 minutes. When we put it back in the water, he was laying on his side. I revived him and he slowly swam off. Didn't seem him floating all day so I hope he made it.

Sunil, 65 F is optimum temp for me .... just doesn't last long enough in Texas ... grin

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
HSBs have their ups and downs and IMO the ups far outnumber the downs. They are my favorite pond fish for several reasons:

1) they seem to bite throughout the year, especially well in the TX winter when I like to fish
2) they fight hard and fast
3) they grow predictably and consistently (with sufficient food and space) to a catchable size within a relatively short period of time
4) they don't reproduce in ponds so population control is easy
5) they are my favorite fish on the grill
6) they take pellets, allowing you the option to supplement with fish food
7) they have small mouths relative to body size, so potential impacts on mid to large sized forage fish are minimized

It's ALL about the fish!
T
Tom F Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
George,

After I stumbled upon Pond Boss forum a few years ago, I started reading your adventures with HSB. That is what made me decide to try them in my pond. I always found your information very helpful. Thanks much.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
What an awesome fish! I love these fish and hope to get some to that size someday. It is encouraging to see another Hoosier growing them that large.

Mine went in last Sept. at 6" - 8". We caught some with the Traveling Lures yesterday that were 12 1/2".

Nice job!

Mikey

T
Tom F Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Originally Posted By: FCM67693
I love these fish and hope to get some to that size someday. It is encouraging to see another Hoosier growing them that large.

Feed them lots of AM 600 they will be there before you know it.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
If I could put a funnel in each of their mouths and pour it in I would laugh

Mikey

Lunker
Lunker
Am I to understand that you stocked the HSB in 2007 and this is the first one you've caught?
Even though I tell myself not to, I keep fretting because I stocked 200 HSB last October in my pond and have yet to catch one.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Bullhead, 15 acres is a good sized body of water.

Most likely, these HSB are schooled up somewhere in your pond. So in other words, unless you are fishing where they are at, you might not see them or catch them.

Keep an eye out for areas of boiling water. The HSB will most likely be mauling bait fish.

T
Tom F Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Yep first one. I knew that they were still there because I would see them eating pellets every night but could not get one to bite. My pond is only 1/2 acre so not much room for them to hide.

Last edited by Tom F; 06/02/10 01:42 PM.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
great fish and angling skills to land that beast on UL tackle.
Let me add one to Todd's list...help manage small BG instead of needing too many runt lmb.
I wasnt sure how well they foraged for them. My son and family; wife, 4 and 6 YOs, came for the weekend. I needed to thin out the hsb and lmb. 1st 2 casts with a 2.5 to 3 inch bg caught 2 stripers. Kids caught about 30 BG mostly +- a pound. I know, only a fish story without photos. When I get back to real internet vs. this WildBlue.

Last edited by burgermeister; 06/02/10 03:08 PM.

Lunker
Lunker
Count me amongst those impressed that you landed him on UL tackle. I was fishing in my pond Monday with a UL rod and #4 line. I watched in horror as a 16-20" LMB grabbed the jig. The line broke just setting the hook.
Of course my knot tying is beyond reproach.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I used to struggle tying knots until someone showed me one where you double up the line, slip the looped end through the eyelet, tie a square knot with the doubled-up line, and then put the loop over the lure. Youn then just pull the square knot tight and you done. Even I find it easy. Maybe someone has a diagram?

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
That's the knot I use, RAH.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by CentexSaj - 04/18/24 03:32 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM
Chestnut other trees for wildlife
by Augie - 04/18/24 10:57 AM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 10:54 AM