Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
DBS, SHORTCREEK, Goldie1!, RobS, GhostRiver
18,525 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,004
Posts558,409
Members18,525
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,596
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,157
Who's Online Now
3 members (Brian from Texas, Fishingadventure, phinfan), 1,071 guests, and 185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#218604 05/24/10 08:10 PM
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey everyone. I am thinking of starting a feeding program, but how do I go about getting the fish to the food if you will??? Will they eventually just find it? I have a deer feeder with a timer that I can use but i don't want it spraying food everywhere if the fish are not going to eat it anyway? If I am just feeding BG and RES how many seconds should I put the feeder on at first? Or should I throw some food out there by hand just to see if they will even eat it??

Thanks,

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
RC, as you may have read in one of the threads here, I've recently started hand feeding my fish and it took awhile but they're beginning to really like it. I have an area where there are always a pretty good number of small to mid-sized BG hanging out, and so I started by just tossing in a really small handful of pellets. They were sort of indifferent at first, but gradually got a little more interested. Turned out that they didn't like the brand I was using (TSC Farm Pond Mix I think is what it was called) so I switched over to a 42% protein food made by Burris. The fish went from grabbing the pellets and spitting them back out with the TSC stuff to inhaling the Burris pellets moments after they hit the water. It's been really fun and I'm now considering going the route of a feeder at some point, but right now it's not a big priority. I know a regular feeding program is important if you want to grow your fish well, and I'll likely get to that point. For now, though, we are at the farm pretty regularly and I'll typically feed them twice during the course of spending a full day out there and at least once if we're there for a shorter period. It's a lot of fun to do and the kids love tossing the pellets out. We see swirls all over as the feed drifts around and the fish all nail it.

So, I guess the point of this wandering post is that if you can find a place that you have a decent congregation of fish, you could start there with some hand feeding to see how they like it and get them used to being fed, then maybe move to your feeder idea to see how that works and just go from there.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Todd,

Thanks for the advice I figured I would start slow just wasn't for sure what to do. I am not at my pond very often maybe once every couple of weeks so it's kind of hard to figure out how I need to proceed. I would like to try though. I will try the hand feeding and see what happens thanks for the heads on the feed too!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
G
GSB Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
I've had good luck w/ Purina gamefish chow: main reason is it floats to watch feeding and it has a variable size pellet for different size fish to feed effectively. ($19.00, 50# bag) I can't help w/ the feeder though, I do mine by hand...when I can't do it, I beg the wife...(If I pester her enough, maybe she'll buy an auto feeder. I'll be asking for your advice then)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
For some reason I was thinking you lived at your pond, RC. My bad. The hand feeding bit may at least give you an idea, though, of how the fish react, but I bet unless they started off as pellet trained, it might take a bit more regularity to get them going than once every couple of weeks. Just speculating on that point, though. You know, if you had a week or so that you were going to spend there, you might be able to make some good progress with daily feeding efforts. Then, if they take to it, you could hook up the feeder and give that a try. Keep us posted. I had a blast getting my BG interested in pellets and now, like I said, it's something the whole family looks forward to when we go out.

Todd La Neve

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I heard that pellet trained fish will nip at your toes if you use the pond for swimming?
True?

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." Doug Larson
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I haven't experienced it, but we've only been in the water at our pond a few times now. My daughters have swum the most and never mentioned being nipped at, and at 7 and 10, they'd definitely be complaining if the fish were after them! I have heard that it's a fairly typical behavior with BG, but they are incapable of doing any damage so it's not really anything to be worried about. Now GSF on the other hand, with their huge mouth gape, could probably take a leg off. Or at least they and the members of the GSA would say so! grin

Todd La Neve

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey guys thanks for the advice. Todd the GSF thing that was too funny! smile They could take a pinkie toe that's for sure!! I will let you guys know how it goes once I start feeding. I am also attempting to get electricity at my pond this next month as well. So that will be nice too. Gives you a whole lot more ability to do things.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dantheman
I heard that pellet trained fish will nip at your toes if you use the pond for swimming?
True?

Only if your toes look like pellets and you're swimming in the area of the feeder right before it's due to dispense the feed!

RC51, it would be a lot easier to train the fish if you were to feed the same time every day. If using a feeder, I'd start with the lowest possible setting an hour after sunrise on a daily baisis. You might get quicker results if you were to use a good quality food, and iffen it was me, I'd start out with smaller pellets, say 1/8"-3/16" maximum size, say AquaMax 500 size.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
esshup,

Thanks for your help! I think I can set my timer to 3 seconds minimum. I'll see what I can do. It is harder being how's I am not out there all the time and the auto feeder would at least feed at the same time every day like you said. Thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
curly leaf infestation
by jim100 - 05/11/24 01:49 PM
Happy Birthday Gehajake!
by Dave Davidson1 - 05/11/24 11:19 AM
Did I accidentally kill my fish?
by Theo Gallus - 05/11/24 10:15 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FireIsHot - 05/11/24 08:38 AM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Pat Williamson - 05/11/24 08:01 AM
Aquamax Largemouth for Yellow Perch
by esshup - 05/10/24 11:13 PM
Very sandy soil
by Dave Davidson1 - 05/10/24 08:08 PM
Low pH, low Alkalinity in Fresh ponds/Lakes
by Stressless - 05/10/24 01:08 PM
Tilapia with Winterkill
by FishinRod - 05/10/24 12:53 PM
Pond PH, lime, and fertilizer questions??
by Boondoggle - 05/10/24 12:07 PM
2.5 Acre Pond Gone! work/restroation thread
by Stressless - 05/10/24 09:17 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by esshup - 05/10/24 08:30 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13