Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,055
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
13 members (Freg, Donatello, Layne, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 633 guests, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#217420 05/16/10 08:14 PM
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey everyone,

It looks like I just might have electricity at my land the end of June I hope!!! And was wanting some suggestions for aeration.

My pond is 1 acre and only 8 feet deep. With that said what would you all suggest for aeration?

Should I use some sort of fountain or a diffuser on the bottom? How many CFM or HP and all that? With only a 8foot deep pond I thought I read something about not having to use a diffuser? Any suggestions would be great thanks!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
C
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
C
Hey RC...Great News!

Now you can breath life into your pond. Being a manufacturer of both, Still the most efficient at a depths below 4 and 5 feet is a Lake Bed Aeration System.

You state the pond is 8' deep. Is that for the entire pond or are there some shallow areas? What is the shape of the pond? Are there any islands or pennisulas? Are you feeding fish? If so, what is the protien rate of the feed? Do you do any other pond management as in chemical treatments?
What is the inflow and outflow rates? What is the watershead in acerage for the pond? In other words, what is the land surrounding the pond used for? Pasture, farming, subdivision?

All of these are used to size an aeration system.

Best fishes,

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Cary,

My pond is 8 feet at the deepest. I would say it averages about 5 to 6 feet all the way up to very shallow like 2 inches shallow. My watershed is just run off from the land and ditches. There is a farmer next to me but I don't think his cattle are around my pond very much and it's all fenced off anyway. I might get some run off from his land but I don't think it's much. I don't have a constent inflow only when it rains good and hard. I don't feed my fish except fish. IE FHM's GSH's and such. No pellet food. My pond is at least 50 years old and has not been kept up for at least the last 10 years. It's one acre in size.

Thanks,

P.S. The shape of my pond looks kind of like a triangle but with very round corners insteads of points.

Last edited by RC51; 05/17/10 02:57 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
RC51,

It looks like a simple single diffuser would do the job easily in your pond. I estimate that your volume is 1,840,931 gallons. A single diffuser depending on the brand you select should be able to turnover that volume at least 2.1 times per/day at 7 foot of depth.

Keep in mind that since no aeration has been ever done to this pond that you absolutely must follow start up guidelines that will allow the H2S and CO2, hydrogen sulfide gases and carbon dioxide, to escape a little bit each day. We just went through this with Farmer Rick and he is jow finally down to the bottom of his pond just about ready to go 24/7. It took some time and patients but in the end, he is getting the results that he planned.

Rick did purchase (as a mother's day present) a display aerator too. This allows him to have a secondary "Emergency" aeration capacity while receiving the benefits of a nice display too. Redundancy is real nice when your fish are at steake.

Best fishes,

G
GSB Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
RC51;
I purchased the AP100 pump two yrs ago to combat a low O2/fish-kill problem in my 3/4 acre pond. This was the lowest price I found for what I wanted. The pump will work down to a depth of 11.25 ft. I've had no issues with it since, and will be adding a second diffuser to help. You'll definately stir the bottom (as above C.Martin advice)

http://www.westernpond.com/aeratorStore.html#ap100kits

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey guys thanks! GSB thanks for the link and the review. That sounds perfect for my 1 acre pond. I apprecaite it. Plus it doesn't break the bank either! That's always nice!!

Thnaks a lot I'll keep you guys posted when I start this project.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Donatello - 03/28/24 07:20 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jludwig - 03/28/24 07:12 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??