Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,070
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Freg, Rick O, Justin W, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Augie), 754 guests, and 179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
What size were the fish when you stocked them?

7mag Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I bought 4-6" F1 strain LMB and cast netted for 3-5" BG from an overstocked subdivision pond.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~Patrick F. McManus
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
7mag

You mention being surrounding by a housing community, is that correct? Realize if your watershed includes these pristine, green lawns you are probably some very nutrient rich runoff from their excess lawn fertilizer.

Unless you depend on this runoff to keep the pond full, you may consider creating burms to redirect the runoff from entering your pond, thus preventing excess nutrient loads to exist and your algae to flourish.

Sue and Cecil and Burger are all very excellent sources for info and know volumes more than I - really good advice they offer you should follow.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

7mag Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
7mag

You mention being surrounding by a housing community, is that correct? Realize if your watershed includes these pristine, green lawns you are probably some very nutrient rich runoff from their excess lawn fertilizer.

Sorry I gave you the wrong impression. It's pretty rural where I live and not much lawn fertilizing goes on. The contour of the land is such that most water just pools or flows away from pond, very poor drainage and a driveway between other propertys and the pond. But, I'm not sure how long it takes for Cow nutrients to dissipate from a pasture though.

Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Sue and Cecil and Burger are all very excellent sources for info and know volumes more than I - really good advice they offer you should follow.
Yes thank you, all of y'all have given me some very good ideas and I'm still digesting the information. My mind is slow at processing stuff sometimes and it seems I find something new or understand it better each time I read it and I've reread the thread several times just today.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~Patrick F. McManus
7mag Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Well it looks like I can't use Tilapia in my pond. Louisiana is pretty strict on permits for Tilapia tanks and preventing the fish from getting into wild waters. But the good news is I received a link for a buffered Alum, that doesn't effect PH like standard Alum so it is supposed to be safer for the fish. I've also realized I need to get a water test kit too. Guesstimating isn't cutting it.

7mag Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Does anyone know how much Alum to apply for phosphorous. My problem is with the nutrients but not with suspended particles. My water is fairly clear so I'm not sure if the mason jar test is applicable for my situation.

H
Fingerling
Fingerling
H
I am new to the posting so forgive my form, but if you have a garden the algae and other undesireables you collect can make good fertilizer. My wife and I collected 48 - 5 gallon buckets of algae last weekend and hauled them to our garden. I don't know if it was coincidence but we started with the algae applications to the garden last summer and boy did we have unbelievable vegetables. We had 4 in diameter carrots and parsnips and great greens. We built something similar to an oil boom which a guy had posted the plans for on the web. He is from Florida. Anyway the boom is 60 feet long so can gather some serious algae. If you are interested I can email you some pics the next time we collect. It only works on our pond to collect on the south end so we wait for the north wind to gather the algae for us and then we bring it together with the boom and load the buckets.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: higgy
I am new to the posting so forgive my form, but if you have a garden the algae and other undesireables you collect can make good fertilizer. My wife and I collected 48 - 5 gallon buckets of algae last weekend and hauled them to our garden. I don't know if it was coincidence but we started with the algae applications to the garden last summer and boy did we have unbelievable vegetables. We had 4 in diameter carrots and parsnips and great greens. We built something similar to an oil boom which a guy had posted the plans for on the web. He is from Florida. Anyway the boom is 60 feet long so can gather some serious algae. If you are interested I can email you some pics the next time we collect. It only works on our pond to collect on the south end so we wait for the north wind to gather the algae for us and then we bring it together with the boom and load the buckets.

Welcome, Higgy! Glad you are on board and sharing ideas. We would absolutely love to see some pics of how you manage the FA in your pond. Can you give us some more detail about that boom as well? If you don't mind sharing, what was the cost on it?

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: 7mag
Does anyone know how much Alum to apply for phosphorous. My problem is with the nutrients but not with suspended particles. My water is fairly clear so I'm not sure if the mason jar test is applicable for my situation.

Mason jar test has nothing to do with adding alum for nutrient inactivation. I feel your frustration. Lots of talk about using alum for nutrient (phosphorus) inactivation but no info about amounts to use. Apparently it has a lot to do with the individual chemistry of the pond.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/fhp/papers/alum_brochure.pdf

http://www.phosclear.com/downloads/Control%20of%20Lake%20PO4%20with%20Alum.pdf

There is an alum product called Baraclear produced by the Haliburton company that purports to inactivate phosphorus.

http://www.pondperfections.com/html/baraclear.html

I have some contacts that will probably know how much alum to add for phosphorus inactivation. I'll get back to you.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/06/10 08:48 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

7mag Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Higgy I'd like to see pictures of your boom in action. Do you know where we can find the plans?

Thanks Cecil the links were very educational. It also got me to thinking whether I need to be concerned about a reduction in DO from the algae dying off after the alum treatment? Also should I turn off the aerators to allow the floc to settle?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Depends on how much algae you have on whether you should be concerned.

As far as floc if you problem is filamentous algae and not phytoplankton there shouldn't be much floc to settle. I thought you said your pond was very clear?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

7mag Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
"On contact with water, alum forms a fluffy aluminum
hydroxide precipitate called floc. Aluminum hydroxide (the
principle ingredient in common antacids such as Maalox) binds
with phosphorus to form an aluminum phosphate compound."

It's my understanding that the Alum turns to Floc.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Also this from John Richardson:

Cecil: I have proposed it for Indiana lakes many times but have never tried it, I rely on Nate Long at Aquatic Control for application rates. He will want to know total volume of pond, buffering capacity, pH etc. please contact him. Aquatic Control- Seymour, IN (800) 753-5253

7mag Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Thanks Cecil. I've been busy at my paying job and haven't been able to check my posts for a while. Hopefully I can get back to fighting FA soon.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: 7mag
Thanks Cecil. I've been busy at my paying job and haven't been able to check my posts for a while. Hopefully I can get back to fighting FA soon.

Be glad you have a busy paying job. Many people don't right now. My twin is climbing the walls being unemployed for 8 months now.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:13 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails