Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
9 members (anthropic, Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, phinfan, jpsdad, Brett B, catscratch, jbird5986, Freg), 644 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Here are my stats (and question)... I welcome comments what I'm doing, or what you would do different. I have someone who is supposed to come take out (thin out) 10 lbs of 16" bass and 20 lbs of 12" bass. If I'm doing this right, I'm striving for a supply of 20" or larger bass in my 5th year (maybe even this year, my 4th year, as we're already seeing near 20" bass). I do very much continue to feed from a feeder and by free-throw at different spots and the fish know it. Honestly, after the 5th year and we reach the goal of the ultimate LMB, what next...
And I was told to not use the Cutrine and let there be more growth along the edges so the fish have hiding places, what are y'all thoughts there?
Also, I haven't had any luck finding a place near by that carries the Aqua Max Fish Food and to have it shipped is unbelieable. Anyone in Indiana have a place nearby that I could drive to to get some...I sure would like to try the stuff.
dot

Pond Built: 2006 onc acre, 20' deep
First Stock: 09/09/06
200 ea 3"-5" HBG
50 ea 4"-6" CC
40 ea 2-3" LMB
2000 FHMinnows
Second Stock: 12/10/06
250 ea 1"-2" GG
1000 ea Gambusia Minnows
Third Stock: 04/11/07
600 3"-5" HBG
80 ea 8"-9" LMB
4000 ea FHMinnows
4 ea 7" Albino Catfish
Fourth Stock: 05/08/10
300 ea 2"-3" HBG
2000 ea FHMinnows
50 ea Crappie

Last edited by MarkECIN; 05/10/10 07:32 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Mark:

What I did is go here , type in my zip code and started calling them to see if they either carried aquamax or could order it for me.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Am I understanding that you want to grow large bass? If so, I don't see the forage base in your stockings to support them... HBG do not reproduce enough to provide adequate forage, the same is true of GG. FHM and Gambusia(mosquitofish) both reach a maximum of 4" and 2" respectively. Hardly a meal for a 20" bass. You're going to need to stock something that reproduces more rapidly and grows to a larger size for your bass to feed on. Pure BG, GSH, LCS would be good options. There aren't many LMB ponds out that produce quality bass without BG making a substantial % of the bass community's diet. One thing missing here is if your bass are feed trained... If they are, you may be able to get around some lack of natural forage but I suspect even at lakes like Richmond Mill where the bass rely heavily on artificial feed, they also rely heavily on natural feed particularly those bass in the 8 pound plus range... I suspect that last batch of 2"-3" HBG mostly went into the bellies of your bass. If you have enough 16" bass in your pond that you feel the need to cull some, they're surely feeding on your newly stocked HBG and I am betting your 12" bass are doing the same... Also, I would keep a close eye on your newly stocked crappies. IME crappies often struggle to successfully spawn in >2 acre ponds. So they may not spawn... If they do, be ready to harvest any and every one you catch. I think you bass will really help you keep their numbers down though, particularly if you pond has minimal vegetation and other cover. Just my .02...

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Yes, hubby and neighbor want to catch the almight large bass out there in our pond... I know y'all told me about more bluegill before, am having a problem finding other than hybrid in Indiana and I know that y'all told me they really don't reproduce much if any. Anyone knows of a fishery nearby that sells other than hybrids. IMO what I put in last is 'food'. We haven't seen many bluegill yet so i suspect I still need more of that. Thanks.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I know that Rex (rainman)is making an indiana trip shortly, and Jones Fish in Ohio delivers in Indiana. Check with the local feed mill, or farm supply stores, they might have a fish truck coming to the store this summer as well.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
What's bad is Purina Mills is in Richmond and I cannot find anyone thus far that carries the stuff, I called about 10+ places they listed at their site and none have the fish stuff; got all the other animal stuff though. Haven't given up yet trying to find the Aqua Max.

I've heard of Jones Fish. Most of the local fisheries in the area carry the Hybrids. Where does Rex go in Indiana...i'm outside of Richmond, In.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Any place that sells Purina products should be able to special order you bags of fish food. It will be shipped to them in their regular orders. Start by asking your closest Purina dealer. If they seem to be hesitant I would contact Purina directly and see if the main office will put some pressure on your dealer to get you the fish food.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The Purina dealer that I go to didn't carry AquaMax, but when I asked them if they could order it they said "Sure!". They went on to explain that they placed orders with Purina on Tuesday, and the product was usually delivered the following Monday. No need to pre-pay, they called me mid-day the next Monday and said it was in. They have since started stocking 8 bags each of 500 and 600 and they said that they will have to start carrying more because it isn't lasting the month.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I just went thru the same thing wtih our local co-op. They carry Purina products and they were trying to sell me Game Fish Chow, I explained it didn't provide the protein level I wanted my fish to have and asked about 600 and she said, well let me see if it is in "the system" and lo and behold there it was...I said kindly order me 100 lbs and call me when it arrives. $32 for 50 lb bag, about what I heard the going rate was on here not long ago.

As far as bluegill surely there is a pond somewhere near you that has an abundance of them?? If I wanted bluegill around here, there is no need to pay for them, people would be glad to get rid of some excess fish.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I'm going to make some calls again today to see if I can talk one into carrying the AquaMax, they told me Purine was very 'picky' that they had to carry the other products for a year (stuff like that). Surely I can find this nearby.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you are that close to Richmond, and can't find a local store to buy the stuff; I'd drive to the plant and talk to someone there in the front office and explain what you are going thru. I'll bet they'll help ya.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
The Purina dealer that I go to didn't carry AquaMax, but when I asked them if they could order it they said "Sure!".

I just tried this with our local Tractor Supply store, the closest Purina dealer to me. The guy told me that they used to be able to special order AquaMax. However, just a week or two earlier, the Purina rep had stopped in and told them no more special orders on anything that wasn't on their shelves already. In other words, to take liberty with a famous line from Seinfeld, "No AquaMax for you!"

Soooo, with Purina having lost a potential customer in me due to that view of marketing, I went to a local fish supplier - Rainbowhead Farms - and bought a 50 pound bag of Burris feed for $30. My BG, which I've been trying to get to take pellets, seem to really like it, so that was a win in my book.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
With TSC leaning more towards emulating the "big box stores", (at least the one that I deal with) I'm wondering what Purinas' side of the story is......

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm sure there's a reason behind it. Not sure if it's a good one or not, but I'm sure there's a reason! The guy I was talking to at TSC was really frustrated by it, but it's obviously something that was decided way above his pay grade. Just sucks for me as the consumer but, like I said, I believe I've found a good alternative so I won't miss a beat.

Todd La Neve

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
It's simply amazing that with this economy some companies are going out of their way to lose customers. And you can bet it's way up their in the pay grade where they aren't in touch with reality and are overpaid. A sure testament to the "Peter Principal" if there ever was one.

As I posted a while back I ran into this with the Helena Chemical Company when I was refused a sale of liquid fertilizer for my ponds, and treated like an idiot for even asking. My letter to the regional headquarters went unanswered but you can bet I will go up the food chain until someone listens.

A good example of sheer stupidity at the corporate level was in a small town near me. The town can't have more than 300 residents but had a full size grocery story and even a smaller one for after hours. Someone decided the town needed ANOTHER grocery story! crazy Anyway a local bank lent the new guy the money to build a new grocery store from ground up. Said there was a study that backed up the fact that the town could use another grocery store. Huh? The new guy could not compete with the established grocery story in prices because his overhead was higher due to his loan. The established one, which I worked at was all paid for. Needless to say the new guy went under in record time. The building is now a church. Dumb, dumb, and dumber!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/12/10 01:25 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
But the cool thing is that others, in many instances, are there and ready to pick up those customers. I'll continue to patronize this local guy who carries the Burris feed. Plus, as I learned to my pleasant surprise, he lives about 200 yards away from me and I didn't know it!

I remember your escapade with the fertilizer, Cecil, and agree it sounds like it was a crazy situation. Yet there was Nate (if I recall correctly) ready to jump in and help.

Todd La Neve

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Do you know the stats for the Burris feed? Ingredients, protein levels...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Not right offhand, but I will get back out to the farm in the next day or two and grab the tag. If I'm not mistaken, he said the protein is 42% maybe. It certainly smells a heck of a lot more fishy than the TSC Game Fish mix I bought awhile back - that stuff looks like big Grape Nuts and has absolutely no fish smell at all.

I ought to actually be able to swing by there tomorrow and, if I can, I'll grab the tag off of the sack and either take a pic or scan it and post.

Todd La Neve

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The fact that is smells fishy is always a good sign...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That's what I was thinking. I literally wash my hands 2 or 3 times before the smell is gone. I guess if they keep sourcing their fish from the Gulf, the smell is going to get even stronger!

Todd La Neve

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Oily, but the wrong kind of oily... frown

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Bingo.

Todd La Neve

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
But the cool thing is that others, in many instances, are there and ready to pick up those customers. I'll continue to patronize this local guy who carries the Burris feed. Plus, as I learned to my pleasant surprise, he lives about 200 yards away from me and I didn't know it!

I remember your escapade with the fertilizer, Cecil, and agree it sounds like it was a crazy situation. Yet there was Nate (if I recall correctly) ready to jump in and help.

You bet! Nate send me fertilizer ASAP and he has my business forever!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Do you know the stats for the Burris feed? Ingredients, protein levels...

So I grabbed the tag yesterday and can't get it to scan very well, so I'll just list out the relevant stuff that it says.

Crude Protein - Min. 44%
Crude Fat - Min. 22%
Crude Fiber - Max. 3%
Phosphorus - Min. 1%

Ingredients: Animal protein products, Processed grain byproducts, grain products, fish oil, animal fat, plant protein products, mono dicalcium phosphate, and then a bunch more things like that last ingredient.

It's marked as being a trout food, but the guy says he sees really good results with all the fish that he feeds it to and that this is the exclusive feed he uses.

It's actually branded as Cargill Aquafeed, but I understand that Cargill is owned by Burris and this tag does reference it as a Burris product. I still see some fish grabbing the pellets and then spitting them out, but there are way more BG hitting them, and doing so happily, than there were with the TSC product. Pretty much every pellet gets taken, so I'm hoping to see some benefit in the fish sizes eventually.

Todd La Neve

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:39 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails