Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
beauphus, Lina, blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK
18,516 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,991
Posts558,271
Members18,517
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,575
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
2 members (Boondoggle, BarkyDoos), 776 guests, and 193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Does anyone know of a hatchery where I can purchase these two species for stocking in my lake? I don't want to stock Gizzarrd Shad for fear of overpopulation and/or growing too large, and Threadfin won't survive this far north. Golden shiners don't seem to reproduce fast enough and/or in great enough numbers.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I believe those are big water fish, I don't know where to get them. I can't remember ever seeing them in a small BOW.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
The next question is how big is your lake?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm not aware of any hatcheries in the U.S. that carry either species, and I used to have a list of all hatcheries and what species they carry in a publication called The Aquaculture's Buyer's Guide. Not sure if the magazine or publication is even in existence anymore.

The only way you would probably get your hands on alewives is to remove some from Lake Michigan (and Indiana waters only) as any fish moved from another Great Lakes state requires VHS testing, but they are:

1.) Not on the list of approved species (therefore a permit would be needed if it would be granted at all.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/FishImportationRegulations.pdf

2.) Moving fish or water from any of the any Great Lakes is seriously dangerous now as you could introduce VHS, not to mention zebra mussel veligers

3.) Don't know if they reproduce sufficiently or at all in a pond, and

4.) They are very sensitive to drastic temp drops which is more likely in ponds vs. larger bodies of water. Even in Lake Michigan there are die offs due to drastic temperature drops.

Bluebacks are only found on the east coast.

The Great Lakes now have at last count 8 exotic parasites including the Asian tapeworm. I wouldn't want to bring any fish from those lakes into my ponds even if you paid me.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/07/10 05:09 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I believe my lake is somewhere between 5-7 acres. It has a good size area where the water 35-40 feet deep. I am trying to get a large variety of baitfish...the theory being bass will have more to choose from, and thus eat more. I know when I go to a large buffet with a variety of different foods, I eat more.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I don't think either river herring species would work in a lake that small. Like Cecil said, they are very sensitive to water temp changes and require water quality in the range of striped bass. This is why they make such good forage for landlocked stripers, trout and salmon. They too hang out in the area of the thermocline where the water is cold but still oxygenated. Not something commonly found in smaller lakes. They also require very specific spawning areas. Usually small streams to moderate sized creeks. Blueback herring are even more difficult to maintain than alewife. They seem to be more sensitive. A lake I fish in has both stocked in it and they do fairly well. The stripers hammer the snot out of them. But from the research done at the lake, the LMB feed mostly on gizzard shad. Also, alewife and bluebacks are nasty predators. They feed heavily on the fry and YOY of game fish. Do research on the studies done in TN on the diet on both herring species in their lakes. They destroyed the walleye fishery in more than one lake there and have severely impacted other species. They're great forage in their native rivers like the Potomac where I fish. I catch them using Sabiki rigs and use them for bait for stripers and blue cats and their YOY are eaten by everything in the river, but in lakes they can cause issues. In your shoes, I'd work with golden shiners and as your bass community progresses in size, then consider stocking gizzard shad.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
One thing a lot of people don't know is these species, which are all in the same family, have been implicated in EMS (Early Mortality Syndrome). This is due to an enzyme they produce that causes a thiamine deficiency in fish that eat them exclusively, especially lake trout and other salmonids.

http://afsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1577/H08-019.1

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
thanks for the great info as usual fellow pond bossers. I guess I will just stick to the usual perch/golden shiner/bg forage base.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
BirdD@wg, BWillis, Mike Troyer
Recent Posts
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by BarkyDoos - 05/05/24 11:33 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/05/24 11:23 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/05/24 09:39 PM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/05/24 09:35 PM