Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Hey Folks, I am in need of opinions on placement of the flow-through pipes I need to install on a beaver dam on my property that will allow excess water that is not flowing through my hydro turbine to escape and yet not allow fish out or be easy for the beavers to dam again. (Any beavers that make it past me that is).

I am leaning towards 3 x 12" pipes with the inside the dam end cut at an angle with say 1" mesh over the inlets, and some kind of flip up design of said screen so I can 'easily' remove leaves/stick etc.
So the inlet end would be flush to the desired water surface height inside the dam and angled down to flow out the bottom of the dam on the downstream side. My concern is largely about ICE shifting the works. I would put the inlet at the bottom of the pond but them I lose water height control and it easier for the beavers. Any suggestions based on my crappy description and even crappier picture?

Thanks.

Last edited by Pottsy; 04/26/10 02:01 PM.

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If beaver are in the mix, I'd make sure that whatever screen I use would be easily tipped up and cleaned when packed solid with stuff. They can move some amazing stuff (and a bunch of it too) overnight!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Pottsy
Any suggestions based on my crappy description and even crappier picture?

Yup. Mechanical drawing lessons! grin grin grin

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Actually, Pottsy, I liked your drawing and think that's an interesting approach to living with the beaver nuisance as effectively as possible and letting the little buggers work with you. I just didn't want to say any of that in conjunction with my last message because it was cracking me up too much when I wrote it to interfere with the comedic impact by actually saying something serious in that message! Sorry, pal! smile

I suspect that as hard working and fast as beavers seem to be - though I have no direct personal experience with them - anything you put into their dam may not get a warm welcome and they may work quickly to either try to remove it or negate its perceived dam impact in their little dam brains. It may be something that you just need to stay on top of really vigilantly or else you may very well find that they have stopped up the dam outlets overnight just to mess with your dam plans!

It'll be interesting to see how that works out for you. Please post some pics if you move forward on it.

Todd La Neve

P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Originally Posted By: esshup
If beaver are in the mix, I'd make sure that whatever screen I use would be easily tipped up and cleaned when packed solid with stuff. They can move some amazing stuff (and a bunch of it too) overnight!!

You've got that right! The greatest handiwork was a 15' by 4' deep cut I made in one dam further upstream that had serious flow at the time and 2 days later they had repaired it much to my dismay at the incredible number of youg trees lost to their efforts. I do not like beavers.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Any suggestions based on my crappy description and even crappier picture?

Yup. Mechanical drawing lessons! grin grin grin

HA! It's the best I could do in 5 mins with MS paint on my work machine. wink

P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Actually, Pottsy, I liked your drawing and think that's an interesting approach to living with the beaver nuisance as effectively as possible and letting the little buggers work with you. I just didn't want to say any of that in conjunction with my last message because it was cracking me up too much when I wrote it to interfere with the comedic impact by actually saying something serious in that message! Sorry, pal! smile

I suspect that as hard working and fast as beavers seem to be - though I have no direct personal experience with them - anything you put into their dam may not get a warm welcome and they may work quickly to either try to remove it or negate its perceived dam impact in their little dam brains. It may be something that you just need to stay on top of really vigilantly or else you may very well find that they have stopped up the dam outlets overnight just to mess with your dam plans!

It'll be interesting to see how that works out for you. Please post some pics if you move forward on it.

Well you had to post the first response solo, no doubt about it. haha

So far the industrious buggers have managed to thwart my best 'living with them' efforts by moving just incredible amounts of lumber and mud until they stopped up pipes they were not 'supposed' to be able to.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
So far the industrious buggers have managed to thwart my best 'living with them' efforts by moving just incredible amounts of lumber and mud until they stopped up pipes they were not 'supposed' to be able to.

Sounds to me like your beavers suffer from a very serious lead deficiency. And if they run when you try to give it to them, then perhaps you should just utilize a means of very high velocity delivery of their lead supplements. Just sayin! grin

Todd La Neve

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Like Todd says, I would eliminate them.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If they won't sit still for their lead injection, you could see if they are allergic to steel.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I'm affraid You're out of luck fighting a beaver in a water war. I trapped beavers many years and you can't stop them You can only try and contain them. What's wrong with just letting the water go over the top of the beaver dam?
Beavers sense running water. They find it, and they stop it.

Having said that, here's what I would do. Put your intake as far upstream of the dam as possible. Use the intake screen that is used for a siphon drain (big surface area) and put it near the bottom of the pond. (it will stay clean) Run your drain pipe upwards out through the dam with the discharge at your desired water level. Water pressure will push the water out the end of the pipe and the beavers won't be able to get to it.

Hopefully, they won't sense the low flow associated at the inlet .

Good luck

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Now THAT seems like a very feasible solution that the beaver will have a hard time plugging, especially if the outlet is up in the air a ways where they can't climb up there and jam sticks into it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
I'm affraid You're out of luck fighting a beaver in a water war. I trapped beavers many years and you can't stop them You can only try and contain them. What's wrong with just letting the water go over the top of the beaver dam?
Beavers sense running water. They find it, and they stop it.

Having said that, here's what I would do. Put your intake as far upstream of the dam as possible. Use the intake screen that is used for a siphon drain (big surface area) and put it near the bottom of the pond. (it will stay clean) Run your drain pipe upwards out through the dam with the discharge at your desired water level. Water pressure will push the water out the end of the pipe and the beavers won't be able to get to it.

Hopefully, they won't sense the low flow associated at the inlet .

Good luck

Hey Waterdawg, I have been battling beavers in various watercourses/ponds for about 20 years and I agree there will always be more but I have to do my best to limit them not only from plugging my pipes but the crazy amount of tree damage they cause. I am in a pickle though because I do appreciate their damn maintenance efforts! (Well one of two dams... therein lies one of my problems... I want one dam in and one gone... they want four of them.) As for the water flowing over the dam, the main issue is the reduction in the integrity if the dam and also not having a good ability to manage the water level.

My big issue is that although the inlet for my micro-hydro diversion is underwater, double screened, 10 feet from the dam they are still plugging it. They just keep building up more and more material in that area until the block the flow.

That is an interesting suggestion about the pipes, basically a reverse of what I just finished doing... dang, I wish I had gotten online again before yesterday! It would remove th efreeze risk... and the outlet being blocked... only issue would be if they did plug the inlet. Hmmm... why do I feel like I am going to be getting cold/wet all over again.

Last edited by Pottsy; 05/07/10 11:32 AM.

P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
If they won't sit still for their lead injection, you could see if they are allergic to steel.

Todd3138: Lead supplement applied to 3 so far.
Dave: I can't believe you would suggest such a thing my friend! Shocked! wink hehehe

esshup: Turns out they are in fact allergic to steel.

P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Here is the view of pond drained so I could clean out my pipe screens and put in some description of water level control. Note the very large dam behind it... that is the one I want to remove to appease closest upstream neighbour (mile and a half away) that thinks it is flooding his fields... of course he is also uphill and on the other side of a road bed ... Removing it will give me one large pond at least. (Back dam is 8 feet high and ~250 feet long in total)

Lunker
Lunker
Beavers can be a pain in the posterior. Have you seen the "Clemson Beaver Pond Leveler". I believe it's the scientific name for waterdawgs idea.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~Patrick F. McManus
Lunker
Lunker
Here's a link that might be helpful, good luck.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/forestry/pdf/www/www23.pdf

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~Patrick F. McManus
P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Originally Posted By: 7mag
Beavers can be a pain in the posterior. Have you seen the "Clemson Beaver Pond Leveler". I believe it's the scientific name for waterdawgs idea.

Yes, that is what I have on my diversion pipe inlet, problem being that the busy buggers just carpet the entire area with mud until they plug it up. ;(

Lunker
Lunker
Hmm, maybe our beavers are too busy dodging gators to be that industrious. Sounds like you have a large population if they're maintaining those large dams and plugging your inlet pipes.

Last edited by 7mag; 05/07/10 03:16 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I saw something on TV yesterday about a 1/2 mile long beaver dam. Well heck, see the post about "Need Dam Built?".

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 05/09/10 05:26 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Dave: I can't believe you would suggest such a thing my friend! Shocked! wink hehehe

Well, Pottsy, looks and sounds like your nutrition program for the beavers is working nicely! Hope they continue responding well to the treatments! grin

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Now THAT'S a good beaver pic!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Originally Posted By: 7mag
Hmm, maybe our beavers are too busy dodging gators to be that industrious. Sounds like you have a large population if they're maintaining those large dams and plugging your inlet pipes.

Oh yes, surrounded by wetlands hosting a ton of beavers... 6 Down... many more to go I guess.

This quote from the article Dave mentiosn (Huge beaver dam in Alberta) is a little daunting:
"They're invading their old territories in a remarkable way in Canada," he said. "I found huge dams throughout Canada, and beaver colonies with up to 100 of them in a square kilometer."

Last edited by Pottsy; 05/10/10 09:36 AM.

P
Pottsy Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
P
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I saw something on TV yesterday about a 1/2 mile long beaver dam. Well heck, see the post about "Need Dam Built?".

The one in Alberta that can be seen from space? It's really amazing what they can do... even crazier what they can do in a single evening.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images