Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,253
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,569
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, FishinRod, Fishingadventure, KiwiGuy, teehjaeh57, phinfan, Boondoggle, x101airborne, lafarmpondguy), 814 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#213904 04/22/10 03:26 PM
L
Leebass Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
Hello to everyone!!!

First of all I have been a member to the forum for a while, but have been really too busy too check in. I am a big fan of this site as well, ya'll know what you are talking about when it comes to ponds.

Now to the issues, I have a spring feed pond and it is about 15 years old and I really have not had time to mess with it much. This year I have a little time to really start working on it. First it is about .8 acres and is stocked with Florida bass, Catfish and hybrid blue gill. I know this is wrong, but that was what my dad stocked it with. I have a tipical stunted bass situation, most of the bass is about 8 to 12 inches and any given day you can catch quite a few of them. Today I stopped by and bought 5Ibs of golden shiners and about 100 coppernose blue gill and put in it. I know I need some more but did not really want to invest a ton right off the bat.

I do have uncontrolled water weed issue as well. My plan is to stock sum Grass Carp and talipia in the next few weeks. At that time I will add some more BG and GS. The talipia should help out my bass out. The guy I spoke to at the fish store told me I should fertilize as well.

My question is should I fertize before I put in the GC and Talipia or after. I know the pond has not been fertized for at least 10 years and when we did it at that time the water weeds exploded.

Any other input would be apreciated and I have attached a pic as well. The pic is a least 3 years old, but it is in the same condition.

Attached Images
Pond.jpg
Last edited by Leebass; 04/22/10 03:27 PM.

Scott

12 acres with a 3/4 acre pond in my backyard, that needs a little TLC.
Leebass #213906 04/22/10 03:29 PM
L
Leebass Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
I may have put this in the wrong spot, also my pond is the bigger one in the pic with the weeds around it.

Scott

Leebass #213913 04/22/10 04:26 PM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I don't think you need to fertilize but somebody with more experience should be along to answer the question soon. From what I have read here, the fertilizer will add to the weed situation.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Leebass #213932 04/22/10 08:19 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I wouldn't start with fertilizer. Actually, why do you think, other than what the guy said, that you need fertilizer?

For Grass carp, you have to apply to the TPWD for a permit. Once you get that, you can buy and stock them. What kind of uncontrolled vegetation do you have? How bad is it?

If you stock bluegill, make sure that they are at least 5 to 6 inches. Anything smaller are bass snacks.

Nothing wrong with tilapia. I like them.

All that said, I would first start hammering bass and reduce their numbers. When the average size bass gets to be 14 inches, you may be getting close to going to step 2 which is tying all of the pieces together.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
L
Leebass Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
Not sure what type of weeds, I will take a pic tomorrow and post. The bluegill I put in today was about 5 to 6 inches. I thought at this time might be the best time to put some bait fish since I am seeing a ton of bass that just hatched.

I am sending in for a permit in the morning, looks like it could be a month or so before I can get them stocked. I like the idea of talipia, anthor fish I can my 3 year old to catch as well.

I am going to get a feeder going in the next week or so as well.

This afternoon I caught 4 bass out out of there in about 15 minutes. I threw one back since it was full of eggs. Should I have put that one back? I figured it would spawn and most of them will be dinner.

Scott

Leebass #213957 04/22/10 09:37 PM
L
Leebass Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
Forgot about the fertilizer reply, he asked me how clear the pond was and I told him you could see about 3 to 4 feet to the bottom. The pond is crystle clear, it does not have much of a green tint to it.

Scott

Leebass #213970 04/22/10 10:53 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Leebass:

Yank every bass out that is less than 14", even 16"; especially any full of eggs. While it seems that them spawning will create more food, actually it's just the opposite. There will be more mouths to feed, so everybody gets less food.

Just trying to save you some $$ here, but I'd get the LMB removed before adding any other forage fish. For one LMB to put on a pound of weight, it needs to consume 10# of forage fish. Run the numbers, but say you have 50 LMB in the pond. That's 500# of forage fish that you have to add just to get 1# on 50 LMB.

WRT adding fertilizer, if the weeds are actively growing, and you put in fertilizer, you might just be feeding the weeds.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #214037 04/23/10 10:51 AM
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Leebass:

I am new to this forum and joined to get information about replacing my drain. I had severe weed problems about four years ago. They showed up one day and the next day they engulfed my entire three acre lake. It was unfishable. Greg Grimes w/ "Water Works" in Ball Ground, GA hooked me up with some herbicide that I mixed in a handheld pump sprayer. I got in my john boat and just sprayed it all over the surface of the lake and it killed every weed in there. Then he got me 13 triploid sterile grass carp. Worked like a charm. Remember that with all the weeds, the small fish have too many places to hide and can't be eaten.

waterdawg #214042 04/23/10 11:18 AM
L
Leebass Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
Waterdawg,

Thanks, my pond is not unfishable right now but the way the weed grow it will be by the summer. In most years I have ducks during the winter and clean up most of the weeds, but they did not show up this year. I am going to try the caro and talipia for a couple of reasons. First, I need plenty of cover for my new BG and GS to hide in before they become dinner. Second, I like to have a natural way of managing weeds with out chemicals.

I am hoping to get this pond under control in the next couple of years. I am hoping to really enlarge it in about 3 years. There is a 3rd ditch that runs behide the pond right now and I did a quick survey on the elevation and I can expand this 3/4 of acre pond to almost 2ac. At that point I can cut the dam and really don't have to do much stocking.

Scott

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:52 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by KiwiGuy - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
My First
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 11:48 PM