Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS, Ben Davis, DBS
18,529 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,010
Posts558,488
Members18,529
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,604
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
6 members (nvcdl, Lincoln Doug, Theo Gallus, Justin W, Augie, catscratch), 1,142 guests, and 498 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#211679 04/06/10 11:03 AM
R
rcooked Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Question...

I've posted on here that I have noticed FA growing in the shallower parts of my pond and a running theory with some pond owners in the area is because of the ice cover this winter and the rapid warming here in central Ohio. Anyways, I called one of the pond guys who treats ponds and he said he would come out and take care of it. However, upon talking with others, they seem to think that this is something I could treat myself using Cutrine-Plus and it can be purchased at my local TSC store.

My question is, is there a consensus to doing this yourself on here - this will be my first time. Also, I am not getting big clumps up or anything. I am just seeing some strands floating here and there and I notice it "blooming" in the shallow areas around the rip-rap and beach.

Will this Cutrine-Plus kill off the junk growing underwater if I spray it on?

Thanks for all the help in advance, I appreciate it as a newbie!

I subscribe!

1/3 Acre pond - Central, OH
Deepest point 11 ft.
Stocked with:
Hybrid Bluegill, Bluegill, Yellow Perch, Largemouth Bass, White Amur.
rcooked #211688 04/06/10 11:35 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You can treat it yourself by spraying it on, and it will work thru the water column. I'd ony treat 1/4 of the pond area at one time, following the recommended mixing rates.

Unfortunately I can't remember how long you should wait to treat after the first treatment to hit another area of the pond. The main thing is not to kill enough of algae at one time to have a DO crash as it decomposes.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #211709 04/06/10 02:00 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I sprayed last weekend and it's working very slowly. In summer, it will knock it out in a day. Assuming you don't have a huge infestation, like more than 30% covered, I add half the recommended dose, sprayed from a pump sprayer from shore out as far as you can reach all the way around. Then wait a couple of weeks and see what happens. Add the second dose if needed. IMO Our water temps are too cold to be too concerned about a die off from low DO unless you have a serious algae problem. Bill Cody may have better advice.

Check the graineries and feed stores for Cutrine as it's quite a bit cheaper than TSC. Last I checked TSC was like $43 gal and I was getting it at the Feed Store in Plain City for $28, same price at Champaign Landmark too.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
R
rcooked Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Thanks!

I will do some checking around on the pricing and see. I am pretty sure that mine would not be considered a major outbreak or anything. I just want to make sure that I keep that from happening as well and kill it off.

I'll keep an eye on here for any other advice which pops up again.

Many thanks!

I subscribe!

Deepest point 11 ft.
Stocked with:
rcooked #211718 04/06/10 02:56 PM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Ya TSC is a LOT higher then most any place. I too us this. Spray one end of the pond one weekend then the other the next. Takes about a week to start see the dirrents but there a big diffrent after you spray.

Just working my pond for Grandkids
GET THE NET PAWPAW
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Couple of tips:

It will spray out of a pump spayer fine mixed with an equal part of water. I'm not admitting that I do this as the instructions on the label say to mix with a lot more water.;)

Use a dense narrow spray pattern/stream to keep the droplet size large. This will reduce wind drift and get it out farther.

Don't mix with pond water in the sprayer, use tap water. Pond water will absolutely clog up your sprayer.

It's really blue and will can stain surfaces. Wear old shoes and clothes.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
G
Fingerling
Fingerling
G
I am a new user and just can't seem to figure out how to post a question. so i'm hoping that submitting my question here will work. i have a small pond - .10 acres. it is supposedly 7' in center and shallow around edges. want to treat also with cutrine but don't know how to determine how much to use from the gallon (have not bought yet). also, have some curly leaf pondweed which tends to get out of hand. right now it's early in the season but can see it under water and takes up alot of pond space. looks like weedtrine-d or reward would be good to help with pondweed? again, i just don't know how much to buy because don't know how much to use. i'm looking to the experts to help. have 4 grass carp in there the last few years and they just don't seem to be helping. thank you very much.

Gail Allen #212441 04/11/10 11:06 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Hi Gail, welcome to the forum...

Posting an original post will help your question get the most exposure and you the most help.

As far posting a question in a new thread, after you open up the sub form, look near the upper left corner of your screen and you will see the "New Topic" button. Click it, fill in the Subject Line and then the body area and click submit. Hope this helps...

CJBS2003 #212461 04/12/10 09:20 AM
R
rcooked Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Hi guys.

I sprayed half the pond on Saturday with a mix of about 1 liter with 3 gallons of water, and I hit the second half of the pond today using the same mix.

I guess it is a waiting game to see what the results are at this point!

Hopefully, this stuff is pretty good and knocks it down - just me being a pond newbie and worrying. It's just thinly coating the rocks and I can see some strands coming up from the bottom in the shallow areas. Nothing major at this point, and

I subscribe!

Deepest point 11 ft.
Stocked with:

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
glfranks
Recent Posts
Repairing Dam with Culvert?
by catscratch - 05/14/24 03:45 PM
Nested Mallards
by FishinRod - 05/14/24 02:48 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by Augie - 05/14/24 02:40 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by Stressless - 05/14/24 01:37 PM