Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,098
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (H20fwler, nvcdl, esshup, Bing, Fishingadventure, Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE), 679 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#211562 04/05/10 10:21 AM
L
lmoore Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
Hey everyone. I started a thread on here last year about the new pond my family was planning to purchase. When I fished it last summer (before we moved in), I saw LMB in the 6-8 inch range everywhere and they appeared very skinny. They appeared very stunted. Also, there was almost no bluegill to be seen other than the occasional giant sitting on a bed in one corner of the pond. My family moved in during November and yesterday was the first day I got a chance to go out and catch some fish. As expected, I caught 9 LMB all at right around 6-8 inches. This is where I got confused though. The LMB that were so skinny last summer seemed very healthy. The eyes seemed normal size and they were filled out just fine. Under further review I also saw a small school of bluegill fry hanging out in the grass near shore. There are still a ton of small LMB, but it doesn't seem to be as bad as I originally thought. My question is, where do I go from here? Some pond info:
About 2/3-3/4 of an acre, max depth when dug was 22 feet. That was almost 20 years ago so I would estimate the depth somewere in the 15-20 foot range. Lots of wood structure. My dad and I started out the project by cutting down all of the small trees that were on the bank and pushed them into the water in piles. I also added some rock piles at the ends of some bigger laydowns that were already in the pond. Would like big LMB, although they don't necesarily have to meet trophy standards. Mostly just want to have a place where family and friends can come and have good, consistent fishing, with the chance of maybe catching a big LMB or BG.
My original plan of action:
1) Remove as many LMB under 10 inches as possible and continue harvest of the small fish in years to come.
2) Add maybe 25-30 adult (4-6") bluegill this spring in hopes of getting a spawn.
3) Add other forage (Minnows) this spring in hopes of taking some pressure off of the bluegill spawn.
4) Evaluate later in the summer and hit up pondboss again for further advice.
Should I still do that even if the LMB appear healthy, or should I take it a little easier on LMB removal?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Chances are your minnows will not make it to spring with bass that size on the prowl. Someone here may know better than i..

I subscribe!
L
lmoore Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
I understand that. The minnows would be intended to take some pressure of the spawning BG since the BG will be spawning before a significant dent can be put in the LMB population.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
In a pond that small, you can remove to many LMB, keep a count of how many you take out, and if your catch rate begins to decline.

I would deff add some adult BG

then wait a few months and see if the bass start to look even better

also you say the fish starting to look better and smaller eyes, this suggests to me that they may be yoy (or at least younger), but i dont know if they would even be reproducing in your situation

I am no pro at all just opinion

Last edited by jakeb; 04/05/10 04:51 PM.

Get out and fish.
L
lmoore Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
That's the thing I am now confused about. If those are truly just young LMB, why are there so many and where did they come from? I have only saw one bass over 12 inches in the pond (granted, not with significant time spent there), and it was only about 14-15 inches. Almost all of the bass are in that 6-8 inch range and there are tons of them.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
If a bass looks to be young and in good shape. release. Keep all the stunted ones. Block off a section with a net and add minnows for growout and spawning. The adult BG is a good idea. You say good bass fishing for family and friends; remember, only so many decent sized lmb can be supported in a 1 acre or less pond. Start feeding. The bluegill and lmb will more than likely partake. think about adding a few hsb and cc for variety; they will not reproduce and will readily take feed.
good luck.

PS...you may have too much cover for the bass to forage on the BG. You may have more BG than you think. Watch closely later this spring. After all spawning, you may take out some of the trees. This will help congregate the fish for better observanc and fishing.

Last edited by burgermeister; 04/05/10 11:23 PM.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
those 8 inch bass may be many years old and reproducing, just not growing. its possible, not saying thats whats happening

I agree with burger if fish looks good let it go, if thin then harvest. Feeding will help, and remember to watch out for carrying capacity. I also like his idea of HSB, wont reproduce and will take feed and grow fast and provide a good fight.

Get out and fish.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Your big fish could be lurking in the deeper water. In the coming month, I would watch the shallower water closely as the big fish should be spawning.

burgermeister...if there are a lot of smaller bass that all look healthy but not many bigger ones, wouldn't you want to pull some of them out to make room for growth? Would a slot limit benefit a situation where you have a lot of small fish? I have a 1 acre pond that I stocked about 4 years ago. My bass are in the 14 to 17 inch range but I am starting to see a lot of 6 inch bass so I want to make sure I keep a handle on them so I do not see stunting. I have a great number of BG and plan to stock talapia for algae control and for bass food.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Mike Miller
Your big fish could be lurking in the deeper water. In the coming month, I would watch the shallower water closely as the big fish should be spawning.

burgermeister...if there are a lot of smaller bass that all look healthy but not many bigger ones, wouldn't you want to pull some of them out to make room for growth? Would a slot limit benefit a situation where you have a lot of small fish? I have a 1 acre pond that I stocked about 4 years ago. My bass are in the 14 to 17 inch range but I am starting to see a lot of 6 inch bass so I want to make sure I keep a handle on them so I do not see stunting. I have a great number of BG and plan to stock talapia for algae control and for bass food.

Absolutely pull some smaller bass out. Sorry, I read the 1st post that a new pond was being purchased. Then re-reading, I read that it is 20 Y.O. I am sure it is bass crowded. I'm sure you need to start culling, as I will next time at the pond.

L
lmoore Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
We have flirted with the idea of HSB to add some variety. We definitely want to add another species, just can't decide what. We have considered adding SMB every couple of years because they are posiblly the hardest fighting fish, pound for pound. We would have to add a few every couple years but it wouldn't be a whole lot different than HSB. I think I will continue to cull the small LMB as you guys reccomend. I just hope they aren't reproducing as was mentioned above. If those fish are old enough to reproduce and that small, I don't want those genetics to continue. Would it be a good idea, once the population can be "controlled" to some extent, to add a couple more adult LMB for genetic diversity?

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Yes your pretty much on the right track. Remember in a pond that small you can only have so many predators or you will have problems like your having, but with feeding and intense managment you can still have a wonderful pond.

If they are reproducing I would say <1% are surviving to the 6-8inch size to add to your problem. Your bass are most likely eating their own to stay alive.

Get out and fish.
L
lmoore Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
UPDATE:
This past weekend, I did spent about every waking hours working with the pond. Removed 30 LMB. Caught around 40 but released some of the very healthiest looking ones. Caught one at about 15" Couple in the 12" range. Also released 20 4-6" BG and another 6 6-8" BG. Netted about 100-150 BG fry from a nearby pond, along with about 2 dozen bluntnose minnows, another 3 dozen blacknose dace, and a small number of stickleback and johnny darters. I would assume that most or all of the minnows are already gone, but just to update.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images