Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,055
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
13 members (Freg, Donatello, Layne, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 633 guests, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Todd, can you get a close up picture of the footprints?

I subscribe!
F
F-H Offline
Lunker
Lunker
F
http://www.arkive.org/jaguarundi/puma-yagouaroundi/image-G40906.html

Lots of talk of these in TX and Florida too.
Seems likely to me.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Those wild cat/domestic cat hybrids often cost in excess of $5000. The biggest domestic cat I have ever seen was this cat I got on game camera a couple years back.

O
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
O
We looked for prints but found none. Was sugar-sand and hard-packed clay below.

It's ALL about the fish!
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I love this photo and can see why it is one of your favs JHAP!

PondBoss magazine subscriber
Don't text while driving!
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: WildlifeBiologist
However, your cat has a higher rump and longer tail than typical feral domestics

All tomcats have long, graceful tails. Several breeds are prized for long back legs reminiscent of a cougar.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Todd I just told Pam about the cat on your property and her first response was concern for the safety of your children! Sorry I was just curious as to what it was

O
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
O
I work outside. I see wildlife all the time, seriously. My eyes are 20/20 lazervision corrected. I don't make a habit of trying to inflate the truth about anything, but I likely did this time. I'm backing down from estimating 50+lbs but not below 30lbs for the time being. Anyway, my original guess on this cat was 30 lbs. Later I was persuaded by others that it was 50+lbs, after hundreds of pics had been taken, we were all convinced that this was an incredible moment in time, something we had never laid eyes on. We'll probably never see it again. A pack of 8 wild dogs showed up right at that same spot that evening....how random is that?? Anyway I am more worried about those wild dogs than I am of that cat. If I see it again, however, I may be compelled to pull the trigger, who knows.

We intend to show a few more photos of the cat and we intend to take my 4month old puppy (40lbs already) down to the site along with a 5gal bucket and a grown man. Should be revealing. Will be using same camera same zoom. I think my puppy is about the same size of that cat, and so does my wife who also saw the cat first hand. Stay tuned...

If this is a house cat, then I should be even more excited!...I may possibly have witnessed the largest house cat on record, and possibly the baddest of them all as well. If this is what I am forced to concede then I guess I'll be posting my story at hugehousecatsforum.com instead.

It's ALL about the fish!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Todd, I'd be more concerned about the dogs than the cat in regards to children (and people).

I've a problem with stray/wild dogs as well, and now I'm seeing coyotes too. I guess that I'll have to re-dye the traps and get busy.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I hope that you don't "pull the trigger" on that cat. What if it is something really special and rare? Pulling that trigger will ensure that nobody else will ever see this rare product of nature again either. An animal rights proponent I am not but I do enjoy experiencing the wonders that nature provides.

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
overtonfisheries - Please do not get frustrated. While I am a sceptic, I recall reporting a bobcat sighting to the Indiana DNR and them telling me to get pictures of prints next to a coin as proof. There were no prints. Years later, as the sightings continued, including those by DNR employees, caused them to call me for a database that they had established to track bobcat sightings. The dramatic success of the introduction program apparently surprised the DNR, so they initially doubted my sighting. One naturally doubts unusual sightings without solid proof. Your photos certainly should require the experts to offer an alternative explanation. What are the officials saying about the photos? By the way, I never regret leaving the bobcat alone, even though I was bow hunting at the time, and the cat walked right under me, and chased a squirrel up a tree less than 30 feet away. I have not seen the cat again, but I am glad that I caused it no harm.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I dont think its a house cat at all. I would say 30 lbs is about right.

Get out and fish.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
As the resident dopey city slicker, I gotta ask...
Is it possible for a pure bred jaguar or bobcat or lynx or similar to mate with an ordinary house (or barn) cat and produce viable offspring?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Jeez, the only responses that I can think of would get me banned forever.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Tigers and Lions can be successfully mated and are probably the most famous of the wild cat hybrids called a liger. I doubt a 100+ pound jaguar would mate with even a large 20 pound house cat. Maybe eat it? But hey, who knows for sure... My guess, it's a black house cat. But that is the fun thing about all if this, in all likelihood, we'll never know for sure! I would be very interested to see size comparisons utilizing items/animals of a known sized placed in the same spot the unknown cat was when photographed and then photographing that known item/animals from the same location and then doing a comparison. That will be very telling...

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
One of the guys on our deer lease in Del Rio killed a feral House cat about 10yrs ago that was as big, or bigger than the one in the photos...It had some huge fangs and was probably many generations wild.

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
[quote=CJBS2003]Tigers and Lions can be successfully mated and are probably the most famous of the wild cat hybrids called a liger./quote]

Here's what one looks like...

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: RAH
overtonfisheries - Please do not get frustrated. While I am a sceptic, I recall reporting a bobcat sighting to the Indiana DNR and them telling me to get pictures of prints next to a coin as proof.

I know exactly what you and Todd went through.

A friend once sighted a flock of birds, and told everyone they were parrots. He caught a very rough time from everyone for that. They asked him "How do you know it was parrots, did they tell you?". He finally got fed up and called the State Wildlife and Fisheries, and they confirmed that parrots fly over the area. That sure shut up some wiseacres. You have to trust your own eyes.

As someone who didn't see what Todd saw, all I can do is play the odds. Odds are it's a large house cat, and not a big cat. However, odds are beaten every hour of every day.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Omaha
[quote=CJBS2003]Tigers and Lions can be successfully mated and are probably the most famous of the wild cat hybrids called a liger./quote]

looks like a tiger with an Artis Gilmore doo.

Now, back on topic.

Last edited by burgermeister; 03/24/10 02:31 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

It looks like it took you like three hours to do the shading on the upper lip.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
It looks to me like that is a cross between a lion, a tiger and some type of iguana.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: bobad
[quote=RAH]I know exactly what you and Todd went through.

A friend once sighted a flock of birds, and told everyone they were parrots. He caught a very rough time from everyone for that. They asked him "How do you know it was parrots, did they tell you?". He finally got fed up and called the State Wildlife and Fisheries, and they confirmed that parrots fly over the area. That sure shut up some wiseacres. You have to trust your own eyes.

I remember one drunk night gathering up a trunkful of green tennis balls to sell at the flea market the following weekend. They turned out to be hedge apples.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

It looks like it took you like three hours to do the shading on the upper lip.

I got skills. Yesssss!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Yes but has your artwork being compared to Van Gogh or Da Vinci or described as a sign of the apocalypse such as my artwork has. Notice the friendly smile. The warm come-hither look in the eyes. The peek-a-boo style placement in the photo.

Oh that's a cow by the way.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

R
R
Our farm near Red River in Clay County, Texas having an issue with some sort of large black cat spooking and stampeding cattle enough so that they're going through barbed wire fences; I guess someone saw the cat.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Donatello - 03/28/24 07:20 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jludwig - 03/28/24 07:12 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??