Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts558,002
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
8 members (Fishingadventure, catscratch, Sunil, esshup, Cliff76169, jmartin, JasonInOhio, FishinRod), 1,304 guests, and 220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#208268 03/16/10 02:24 AM
J
jignpig Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
hi there. \:\) i'm a new guy from tn. i have been led to this site through bassresource. having seen on there first hand what mr. lusk is capable of, i have beaten a path here to learn more. after several years of chasing trophy bass, the natural extension of that for me has been wanting to grow them. i got serious about this last year and the results have been nothing short of spectacular. please don't get me wrong. not bragging at all. i have to be the poster child for "if THAT guy can grow big fish, anybody can!" using what i have learned through mr. lusk's info, other sources, common sense, and some of my own "outside the box" methods i have achieved results beyond my wildest dreams already. but i know i can learn, refine, and improve. my hat is off to mr. lusk for opening my eyes to the possibilities. i am thankful to have discovered this forum dedicated to folks like me who love to grow and catch big fish from small waters. unfortunately, on other sites i have found that there is sometimes a predjudice and resentment towards small water guys, almost as if catching nice fish from small waters is somehow cheating and shouldn't count. it's the old "fish in the barrel" mentality i guess. so with the exception of bassresource, there's just not a lot out there on other fishing forums that i have been able to use to learn more about what i'm trying to accomplish. so far what i've seen here is just what the dr. ordered though. great site. looking forward to learning from y'all. \:\)

jignpig #208269 03/16/10 05:11 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Good looking bass. How old are they?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Holy Mackerel Bass! You've come to the right place. Nobody here is going to show resentment because of huge fish from small waters. We'll just pick your brain.

Let us know a little more about what you are doing to grow those hogs. They are beautiful.

How big is your "small water"?

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
catmandoo #208276 03/16/10 07:05 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Uhhhh??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are some monster-pig bass!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Pond Boss!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #208279 03/16/10 07:14 AM
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Wow. Not much more can be said than that. Welcome, and I look forward to hearing what you have to share. This site has been a God send for me as I have built my pond and managed it for the last two years.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

CoachB #208285 03/16/10 08:05 AM
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
jignpig, Im guessing west, TN? Your hardness is naturally good right, no lime required? Is this form one body of water? Very Nice!

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
CoachB #208286 03/16/10 08:07 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Being the resident fish neophyte, even I had to take pause between sips of coffee this morning to scrutinize the PC monitor and verify that you weren't exceeding the allowable arm projection for the Condello technique of fish-pic presentation. I wanna see how Lusk reacts.

Greg Grimes #208287 03/16/10 08:10 AM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Welcome to PB. Nice fish.

ewest #208297 03/16/10 09:05 AM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Thats a photo book full of pigs if i ever saw one! WOW! All of those came from one pond? What are you feeding them?

I subscribe!
rcn11thacr #208299 03/16/10 09:12 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Welcome jignpig! In my estimation you are certainly not bragging, your photos speak for themselves.

Thanks for joining in and posting, we're glad you found us.

Tell us more about your pond and your management strategy.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
jignpig #208305 03/16/10 09:30 AM
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Wow. Pigs. "Trophy" is an understatement. Nicely done. And stick around. ;\)

Omaha #208320 03/16/10 10:11 AM
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Welcome. Great looking fish. tell us more...

Just do it...
rmedgar #208345 03/16/10 12:34 PM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Omaha I'm adding miracle grow to my feeding. Man them are some nice BIG bass. I ain't posting another picture from my pond now. My little bass would be used for bait. Welcome jignpig you got to tells more on what you done and so on.

Just working my pond for Grandkids
GET THE NET PAWPAW
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: Magnolia Rick
Omaha I'm adding miracle grow to my feeding.

Make them grow like weeds!

Omaha #208349 03/16/10 12:54 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
He must be giving out free "roids" and holding "scuba" gym classes on the weekend.

I subscribe!
rcn11thacr #208445 03/16/10 09:38 PM
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Wow, how just big/small is the "small waters" your referring to?

s_montgomery #208457 03/16/10 10:19 PM
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
I want to hear the "rest of the story." Fish like that don't just happen.
Been wanting a reason to go to Tennessee to see my friend Mr. Dance. I may have a new reason.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Bob Lusk #208462 03/16/10 10:51 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I have fished for LMB heavy for 40 years and still don't have a 10 pounder. I saw a 18 caught by my best man's brother in law. That is one of the nicest collections of bass photos I have ever seen. I'm not worthy.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My biggest LMB isn't even close to the smallest one pictured!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
s_montgomery #208471 03/16/10 11:46 PM
J
jignpig Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
first, i gotta say wow! what a nice bunch of folks. i sincerely appreciate the warm welcome and nice words. i am humbled by your kindness. second, i apologize that it has taken so long to get back with y'all. my days are usually pretty full, so most of my posting will probably be at night.

where to begin? i suppose the best way to answer all these questions is just to tell my story and we'll go from there. i'll try to keep from writing a novel.

i have loved bass fishing since i was old enough to walk down to the water. but it was 2003 when i became serious about trophy bass. after i caught my first double digit fish back in 2004, i was hopelessly addicted. i was fortunate enough to be fishing a 130+ acre watershed lake that was abundant with big fish. i was blessed with success beyond anything i had ever imagined in this watery paradise. several fish over 10. two teeners. one of those only missing the state record by 6 oz. and i lost track of all the 7, 8, and 9 pound fish. all of the double digit fish in my sig line, with the exception of the beautiful 11-10 (more on her in a minute) were caught here. and this is tn mind you, not florida, tx, or cali. needless to say, i was spoiled. that's when the wheels began to turn in my mind. you see, as good as the fishing was in that honey hole, there was no management going on at all. it was just one of those magical places that everything clicked. in short, that place was phenomenal BY ACCIDENT! if this could be acheived through happenstance, then what could be done if a man was DELIBERATELY trying to grow big fish? well, i set out to find out just that.

being a poor boy, i had no means to buy or build my own pond. but i did have permission to fish several ponds. one of these was about 2-3 acres. the good news was that this pond had decent depth, good vegetation, and beautiful clean, clear water thanks to it's mussel inhabitation. the bad news was that the fish were a mess. every one of them small, skinny, stunted and malnourished. the same fish had been in there for years and years. the gene pool was stagnant though years of inbreeding (although the fish were so small i doubt there was much breeding going on at all). forage was minimal. overpopulation was an understatement. while this was a good place to go catch a mess of fish for the fry daddy, big fish were non-existent and had been for quite a while. i approached the landowners to see if they'd be willing to let me try my hand at mananging their pond for big fish. they agreed and thus began my journey. the first thing i did was remove every small fish i could. the next thing i did was catch a few 2-4 pound bass from several other locales and put them in the pond to try to breathe some new life into the population through gentic diversity. now these were just regular old "mutt bass" mind you, but they came from different places to maximize diversity. and to this day, there are no bass with a fancy genetic pedigree in the pond. like i said, just regular old northern strain.

with the pond stocked at what i thought were appropriate levels, i then set out on a program of "old school" management through selective harvest (keeping anything i caught that was under 2 pounds) and stocking the pond with plentiful forage (bluegill). i was fortunate that i did not have to buy these. i had access to another pond that was absolutely overflowing with 3-5" gills, so i was able to catch them myself. and believe me, i put load after load of those little suckers in there. when i was absolutely sure i'd put in enough, i put in twice as much. a couple of years in, i started seeing the fruits of my labor. 6 pounders became regular. but it was not all rosey. the fish just weren't growing fast enough to suit me. i would still catch skinny fish from time to time despite selective harvest and continual stocking of bluegill. things seemed to be taking too long for the fish to grow. i was impatient. one fish in particular convinced me that i needed to do some tweaking, a long skinny 7.5 pounder that should have weighed at least 9. more on her in a minute.

that's when i decided that i was not going to be satisfied with a good pond. i wanted a great one. so i embarked on a program of "new school" management implementing some of my own ideas and tactics. i did things that went against the grain of conventional wisdom. and that's when things really took off. and that's where i am today.

looking at the sig link, you will see the 2 crown jewels of my attempts at management, the 11-10 and the 9-12. the 11-10 is mostly a product of my "old school" days. she has now gone on to the great honey hole in the sky, dying of what i'm convinced was just old age last year. while i am proud of that fish, i have a lot of regrets. if i had only known then what i know now, i have no doubt that could have been a new state record, or at least a teen fish. she had all the potential in the world. the 9-12, while smaller, excites me even more. you see, she was the skinny 7.5 pounder that should have weighed 9 that i spoke of earlier. that picture was taken back in the fall, with her over 2 pounds heavier than she had been in the spring at 7.5. i am proud to announce that i caught her again yesterday and she is now a double digit bass. and if she stays healthy, i project her to be 11 pounds or more before the end of this year. but sadly, i think she is pretty old. unfortunately, i believe i am working against the clock with her. i'll keep y'all posted.

as proud as i am of some of the big fish i've raised, i'm even prouder of a 3 pounder my daughter caught a few days ago. it's in the pic below. i'm seeing a lot of these showing up now. fish with blazing growth rates. look at the tiny fins and tail on this fish. look how fat and thick. this fish's body is growing at such a rate that its fins and tail cannot catch up! i truly believe this fish is only 2 years old and that little chunk has to weigh at least 3 pounds. doing the math on this one, and projecting future weights almost puts me in a state of euphoria. sure hope it's a female. and that is what a lot of the fish in this lake are looking like now. i'd give that one an 8 on a scale of 1-10. while there are not many of them, the 9's and 10's truly have to be seen to be believed.

so hopefully i'm on the right track. i'll try to set up a photobucket album entitled "project fish" to give y'all a look at some of the amazing results i am getting. in time, i might share some details of my program. but for now, i am here to learn myself, as i think i can do better than what i am currently. so for now, enjoy this little freak of a very young, very fat little bass held by my daughter. and we'll keep our fingers crossed that we're all on the right track with our managament programs. and thanks again for the very warm welcome. \:\)

Last edited by jignpig; 03/17/10 01:40 AM.
jignpig #208473 03/16/10 11:57 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
that's when i decided that i was not going to be satisfied with a good pond. i wanted a great one. so i embarked on a program of "new school" management implementing some of my own ideas and tactics. i did things that went against the grain of conventional wisdom. and that's when things really took off. and that's where i am today.

I'm still stuck almost exactly doing what you did old school. But I sure would try new school as I have no fear trying things that go against the grain. I really want my fish to take off, but have not many unique ideas left. This old frog would try any new tricks. Please share, I am not in competition with you.

Last edited by The Pond Frog; 03/17/10 12:09 AM.
jignpig #208474 03/17/10 12:01 AM
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Amazing write up! Please tell us more!

Omaha #208476 03/17/10 12:50 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Unbelievable...Those are absolute monsters.

Is the forage base strictly BG or do you supplement with shad or shiners?

Please tell us more we don't care if you write an encyclopedia volume, or two.

Black Bass #208481 03/17/10 01:37 AM
J
jignpig Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
almost forgot about the catfish. sorry. here's a couple of nice channel cats from my little management project. these are not really a passion for me like the bass, but they do pull hard. and my daughter likes that they "talk". so i like to keep a few nice ones around. ;\) i promise i'll try to answer some of y'all's questions tomorrow if possible.

Last edited by jignpig; 03/17/10 01:39 AM.
jignpig #208486 03/17/10 06:38 AM
Lunker
Lunker
That bass has a different color than many...is that the water color or what it eats?

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/28/24 09:41 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...