Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (Reno Guerra, ArkieJig, buzzdpm), 1,030 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Way late to this one, but I love this idea. I haven't read completely through the thread yet, so maybe this has been mentioned already. But if it's a box, there should be a sharpie in there and have everyone sign the inside of the lid as it makes it's way from pond to pond.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Also late, also love it!!

I'd vote for a single lure, though-and stipulate that the fish and lure have to be in each pic. Woe be to he or she who loses the Pond Boss Traveler!

Anybody still have one of those Budweiser lures left over from the 70's and 80's?

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
For shipping:

Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope $4.90 12-1/2" x 9-1/2"

link

I mail books that I sell on Amazon using these. As long as you can close the envelope, USPS will ship it. It'd be no problem to fit a slim, single-layer tackle box or even just a lure in a pill bottle with some foam to prevent rattling.

I think that it would be neat to try to collect pictures of the lure catching some of the more "exotic" freshwater gamefish: Guadalupe Bass, Lake Trout, Peacock Bass, Sacramento Perch, etc.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think a 7-10 days max as well. Some people who can get out asap might only have it for a day.

If it's only one lure that'll be making the rounds, I don't think it needs a large box to ship. K.I.S.S. principle. I'd save the good box for the auction. As much as it's going to see the postal service, there's a chance that it will get damaged.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I like the sharpie idea as well.

I've decided on multiple lures in a wooden box.

The box was made for a knife company as a knife display box. It's 5.75 inches long, 5.5 inches wide and 1.125 inches deep. It should nicely hold 4 or 5 lures.

The box is designed such that you can just tilt open the lid for display, or open the lid and pivot it around and the lid then acts like a display stand. JWHAP is going to finish the interior in felt.

It's not the fanciest box in the world but I think it looks pretty cool.

I'd ask you all if you like the box but frankly I don't really care because I've already bought the box. \:D

Originally Posted By: esshup
I'd save the good box for the auction. As much as it's going to see the postal service, there's a chance that it will get damaged.

Good point, I hadn't though of that. Perhaps the lures will be shipped around in a plastic box and then the wooden box will go with the lures for the auction.

Hmmmmm, so darn many decisions.

Last edited by jeffhasapond; 03/16/10 07:03 PM. Reason: OH NO...... BOX DAMAGE?!?!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
After a consultation with DIED here are some lure potentials to enter the box....

Rapala J05 Jointed Brown Trout (According to DIED good swimming action, can fast or slow retrieve, this is the lure that DWIED caught the LMB at my place recently. I love Rapala X-Raps, this looks even better.)

Chartreuse Sonic Rooster Tail in 1/8 ounce (a killer on sunfish and LMB according to DIED, why Chartreuse? Danged if I know, but DIED said Chartreuse and I didn't even know that word was in his vocabulary so there ya go. Personally, I'm a great fan of Rooster Tails as well, I caught my pond record 4 pound LMB on a 1/16 ounce black Rooster Tail).

A Condello Jig (Killer lures, I used one at Bob Lusk's place a couple of years ago, these things slam sunfish and Large Bullhead. \:D Plus it's endorsed by Condello, what more needs to be said).

Hopefully one of George's new lures but I haven't sealed that deal yet.

I'm thinking one more lure to make it 5 lures.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
UGLY DUCKLING!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I think the decaying golden shiner is a shoe-in here.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Excellent choices IMO. How will you decide where the box goes? Start on your end of the country and head east? I always liked Head East(if anybody remembers them) With the cheap rate of mailing the box could go around the country a few times. Also, any thought on how long this will go? I like the 7-10 day limit. I only get to my place on weekends so that would give somebody like me at least 2 tries to catch fish.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Does anybody have a Heddon Lucky 13 in mint condition and original box? I volunteer to be 1st to try it out.
I think I recognise that shade of pink on Condello's jigs.
I say ship the box, have folks sign it; DONT take the box down to the pond.(or spray it with panther or crawfish scent)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think a Heddon 100 in the same condition would go nicely in the box.

Do we have to catch a fish on all the lures, or just one lure?

I've never fished with a Brown Trout colored Rapala, most of mine are silver/black.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I wonder whats gonna smell worse,my fish or Sunils "lure"?

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Who can say for sure, TOM G?

JHAP, be sure to include some dissection pins in the box so we can pin the DGS (decaying golden shiner) to the inside of the box.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
I don't want this to become complicated, I want this to be fun.

I'm thinking one of two processes either one single lure or a box of three different types of lures (including one of George's “Gutless Frog” if he is willing to part with one). I'm leaning toward the box of three lures just so each recipient has a better chance of catching a fish.

At the end of the event the box of lures will be available for auction here on the site (assuming that this is OK with the boss). I'd like it to be an on-line auction so everyone would have a chance to bid on the box. All proceeds will go to the Jesse West Foundation (assuming this is Ok with Ewest).

I’ll donate my Gutless Frog to the winner – I’m afraid very few forum members have a 8 or 9 weight fly rod necessary to cast this bug, to pull a hog out of pads or primrose - or the expertise, knowledge, experience and good looks to properly utilize this bug to it’s fullest potential. \:D

My version of the GF would beat the socks off all the wimpy lures suggested!!!

OK, I would change the rules for the lures to be used in personal pond only, or if you don’t have a pond, maybe a buddy pond.
NO public waters.
No adornment of plastics or live bait (earth worms) on any lure or jig – only fur or feathers permitted.
My only personal addition to lure selection to date would be a RoadRunner.

Burger, you can't have my old 60+ year old Lucky 13 – I don’t have the original box but lure older than most forum members …

Grea idea Jeff - GOOD LUCK to all !!!!

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Can foreigners participate?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
There aren't any foreigners here!

Would they be held up in customs?

Ahem, George, I happen to have one of those rods..... That Heddon Pumpkinseed, what weight do you use for that?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
There aren't any foreigners here!

Would they be held up in customs?

Ahem, George, I happen to have one of those rods..... That Heddon Pumpkinseed, what weight do you use for that?
I'll tie up a couple of GF's for 'ya to fish your buddy's ponds when you come to visit ...

That Heddon Pumpkinseed was cast on a True Temper square shaft steel casting rod with a Pflueger Supreme "knuckle buster" reel... but I have a 12wt salty blue water fly rod I'll let you try it on - betcha you could do it ...

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
George -- I've still got my Heddon Pumpkinseed, too! \:\)

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Ok so three lures so far.

I completely trust George's judgement, if he says the Gutless Frog takes a high skill level and the correct equipment to cast then that's good enough for me.

Originally Posted By: Cisco
Excellent choices IMO. How will you decide where the box goes? Start on your end of the country and head east? I always liked Head East(if anybody remembers them) With the cheap rate of mailing the box could go around the country a few times. Also, any thought on how long this will go? I like the 7-10 day limit. I only get to my place on weekends so that would give somebody like me at least 2 tries to catch fish.

I'm thinking of using a sign up sheet that will be posted on line. That way folks can sign up for a time slot that fits their schedule. It will be the first to request a given slot get's it. I don't want to be in the middle of shipping so it will be each recipient's duty to PM the next recipient and get their shipping address.

Ten days soulds like a reasonable turn around time. Especially if we have previously agreed upon time slots.

Originally Posted By: Wood
Can foreigners participate?

I don't see why not. As long as the calendar is adhered to. I have no idea what it would cost to ship to and from Edmonton Alberta but I would think that this can be worked out.

Do we have to catch a fish on all the lures, or just one lure?

Just one lure. A participant can fish any and all of the lures in the box that they want to. However the first fish caught on any lure will end their session. This will be on the honor system. If you catch a fish using one of the lures then that is the fish photo and story that must be posted. No matter what size the fish is, no matter what species.

Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
UGLY DUCKLING!

Another great choice of a lure and a good variation to the size and shape of the lures already chosen. Hmmmm.

I'm avoiding soft plastic lures for obvious reasons. Other than that is there any size, shape or color of lure that we're completly missing? I've had good luck with all white or all black X-raps and Rooster Tails. I'm relying on our better fishermen for suggestions (which certainly doesn't include me). Nate? Bruce? Died? George? Are we overlooking a good general purpose lure?

Gotta go, I'm drowning in tax returns....

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
RoadRunner .... !!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think that if you go with a 1)floating lure (topwater), 2)dive upon retrieve lure that floats when paused (floating crankbait), 3)suspending crankbait, 4)in-line spinner and 5)jig those 5 lures would cover all scenarios.

Bruce's jig and the Roostertail covers the last 2, the jointed Rapala covers #2.

It'll be interesting to keep a running tally of what lure caught the most fish.

A floating lure could be an imitation frog, a "walk-the-dog" type of lure, a jitterbug, etc.

I've caught LMB, BG, RES, PSK, YP and SMB on this lure:
F77 Teeny Wee Crawfish in Ditch Brown

I'm game for anytime from mid-May 'till the end of Sept.

I wonder how many different species will be caught?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
road runner is an excellent choice, your color selection george??

one of the reasons i suggested the broken back rap is that it actually fills both #1 and #2 and depends on how you work it and rig it. dont get me wrong, i am not opposed to adding another topwater lure, i was just being efficient....and this lure will catch warm AND COLD water species, we have to consider our northern brethren in all this.

one of my favorite topwaters is a simple zara spook, black and silver (although i like to replace the stock hooks w/ red ones).

GSF are people too!

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
It'll be interesting to keep a running tally of what lure caught the most fish.

That would certainly be an interesting study, however, I believe it'd tell us less about a lure's effectiveness and more about which lure we're most comfortable with.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Omaha

That would certainly be an interesting study, however, I believe it'd tell us less about a lure's effectiveness and more about which lure we're most comfortable with.

True. I will ship out the lures the next day after catching the first fish, but I plan on swapping lures after fish #1 to see what else I can catch.

As for losing a lure, I think that fisherperson should replace it with an exact copy of what was lost. Even if the lures aren't available locally, they would be available on the internet, and could be drop-shipped to the next person in line.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
road runner is an excellent choice, your color selection george??...............................................................

one of my favorite topwaters is a simple zara spook, black and silver (although i like to replace the stock hooks w/ red ones).

Dave, any color is OK as long as it is white and chartreuse ...
"If it ain't chartreuse - it ain't no use" ...
I'll tie up a couple of my my home-made version RR in the morning unless you want store-bought?

Photos below may be close to Zara Spook action - turned and air-brushed by these old hands some twenty years ago..
Y'all can have them for the contest or for auction at next conference if Eric and Dr. Dave want them?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond