Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 728 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#206952 03/07/10 04:28 AM
E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
My wife and I are heading to Bangkok on Tuesday for 2 weeks. I'm planning on going fishing a couple days - 1 day for catfish and 1 day for barramundi (if I get permission, lol - But since I'm taking her catfishing one day on her first fishing trip ever, I think I will). Any one have any suggestions for good places to go fishing? Maybe Rad will jump in on this one since he is the board's Thailand resident expert.

Also, I'm looking for ideas of things to do - we will probably stay in Bangkok most of the time with maybe a 2 day trip to one of the quieter beaches near Pattaya if we feel the need for a change of scenery. Other than that, our daily schedule looks to be - late breakfast, morning massage, lunch, nap, dip in the pool, afternoon massage, a little shopping, dinner, sweet dreams.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sounds like a very nice couple weeks of R&R! Don't have any answers to your questions but I hope you have a great time.

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Absolutely, don't miss the traditional midnight stroll on Walking Street in Pattaya.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Have fun! Last time I was there (1968) they really like a man in uniform... \:\)

Just do it...
E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
lol, thanks all. I was waiting for an R&R story from Vietnam. As a Gen-X'er, I ended up in Iraq and Afghanistan - and now I live in the land of camels (and beautiful women in case my wife reads this thread). You know what R&R was for a US soldier in Iraq? 3 days at Camp As Sayliyah in Qatar with a 3 beer/day max, and of course, only for those 21 and older. But on the bright side, no special shots required prior to boarding the C-130 back to Baghdad.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Remember, a 'man who goes through turnstyle sideways' is going also.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
 Originally Posted By: rmedgar
Have fun! Last time I was there (1968) they really like a man in uniform... \:\)

AHH, back in the good old days, you number 1 GI

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
 Originally Posted By: rmedgar

AHH, back in the good old days, you number 1 GI

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
First I have never been to these places.

This one is the Barramundi
http://www.bangkokfishing.com/

This is the catfish, plus a host of others
http://www.bungsamran.com/en/

I have talked with a few who have fished the latter and they all caught as many fish as they could handle, lots of sunscreen, hats and sunglasses.

Couple of tips, when you arrive and pass through customs, ignore the taxi touts and head up to the departures level and head to your left as you face the street, at the end of the terminal you will see a line of taxis off loading, they will also be looking for you. Pick one and ask if he is using the meter, if yes, that one is yours tell him where you want to go and you are in. This allows you to avoid the 800 or higher baht fee the bandit cabs charge and the usually long lines the government regulated cabs use. It will help if you have Thai baht as there will be a 100 baht or so toll road fee, which you are expected to pay, So either hit a currency exchange or an ATM in the airport.

Taxis are cheap in Bangkok and plentiful, always ask about the meter. always try to keep enough 20 baht bills to pay your cab, often they will have no change. If you plan on using either a lot both have debit card systems at the customer service windows, that saves trying to figure out how much you need to deposit in the ticket vending machine, just swipe and go. Might also get a subway and skytrain map, they are cheap and easy as well. The Skytrain will get you to many shopping spots and tourist locations. Pratunam Centre, for clothes and Pantip for electronic, both riddled with knock offs as well as real, both fun. Centralworld and Zen are two large shopping centers next door to each other with a sky train stop. Many levels hundreds of shops and a huge food court, easily a day.

Pattaya can be a wild and crazy place and most people stay out of the water. It is trying to grow into ore than just an R&R spot with lots of nice hotels, but as Dudley mention a walk on the wildside down walking street amongst the go go and beer bars is worth the trip. There is a small island off the coast that is relaxing, there are little restaurant bars all along its coast, where you sit in a beach chair under an umbrella ans sip suds, they also have jet skis and the parasail things they tow.

It is going to be hot, we are running over 90 every day now. Diner will be the only time you even approach a dress code a shirt with a collar will usually make the grade in most places.

Dinner cruises on the river are a nice one time thing. You can also get rides in long tail boats if you just want to look around.

Chiang Mai is up country and cooler, so many people head there. The kids are out of school so there will be lots of Thai tourists.

There is a nice beach town across the gulf from Pattaya and about the same distance from Bangkok, Hua Hin. The King has a summer palace there and spends a lot of time there, not as busy as Pattaya.

Last there is a large anti government demonstration planned for the 14th. They are usually well monitored, but can something get large and screw up traffic in and around the demonstration areas. Ask at the hotel if you plan wandering around that day.

Any questions please ask.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
Rad #207052 03/08/10 03:20 AM
E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Thanks Rad. Both those fishing sites look good. i think we may head to Hua Hin for a couple days if the city gets too much.

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Hope it was of some help.

Thailand is a place to bargain for your goods and services. Almost everything is negotiable and almost all tangible merchandise is knocked off. Tourism has been down and above backpacker level visitors will be highly prized. So the key phrase is "Do you discount?"

Drink 3 times as much water as you think necessary and take 3 times as many pictures as you think are necessary.

When walking you need to watch up, down and side ways Bangkok is one of the most walk unfriendly places in the world.

Traffic is wrong sided but that doesn't mean that just because they are expected to drive on any particular side of the road that they will, that includes sidewalks and wet markets. Right of way is granted to the largest vehicle entering the area where right of way may become an issue. Pedestrians are just about the same level as dogs when found in the street. So approach street crossing as a challenge and a serious one at that.

My hard line phone in Chumphon is 077622853 and I will be in Bangkok during part of your stay, so if I don't answer at that number call 0892062042 or 02437 9751 if you have any problems or questions. Don't hesitate to call, my Skype is allcladrad.

I may not be able to get you out of prison, but I can get you a better room.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails