Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,959
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
6 members (emactxag, catscratch, Sunil, KenHorton, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24), 1,151 guests, and 485 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#201357 01/28/10 10:11 AM
H
HotRod Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
H
Found some little critters on my bass awhile back and I've been trying to find out what they were for some time. I finally found a good picture match couple days ago and it's argulus (fish lice). They look to be quite heavily infested,(4 to 10 on every fish I catch).
Help me out gang, what caused them and how do I get rid of them?

Rod

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hello HotRod and welcome to Pond Boss. Hang on for some expert opinions.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Howdy, HotRod, and welcome to the Forum.

A few questions:

1. Are these little pink bumps of flesh located under the edge of scales? Can you post the photo match you found? (want to see if your idea of fish lice matches mine).

2. Do you have any Redear Sunfish in your pond, to eat snails and hence reduce the incidence of many fish parasites? (fish lice included IIRC). I suffered a lower RES poluation in one of my ponds last year and noted a definite increase in parasites on bass, lice included.

There may be some useful info in the archive thread on Fish Diseases.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I believe the parasite he is talking about looks something like this below. I have had these myself, they are some weird looking cretures for sure. I am not sure what to treat them with except I have been told to get some RES just like Theo told you above. They seem to keep this kind of thing under control. I also thought I read somewhere that this parasite cannot live under 60 degree water temps? Not sure on that but I thought I read something to that effect. Rod what is your water temp there? Do you know?

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
H
HotRod Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
H
They are little green translucent critters, the ones I see are small enough that you can't really see the legs unless you look really close. I originally thought this was just some kind of vegetation stuck to the fish until I saw some scampering around on a fishes tail I caught.

Here is a link to a picture. http://www.bonniesplants.com/sick_injured_fish/argulus.htm The picture of the koi with little greenish spots looks exactally like what I have on my fish.

Pond is about a half acre +/- and it does get very ganky in the summer time, which is another subject I'll take up with you guys soon. I'll try to get some pics the next time I catch a fish that is infested

Thanks for the quick replies by the way, ya'll are the greatest.

Rod

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Theo, et al;

RES seem to be a good solution for controlling parasitic snails and these little buggers among other parasitic organisms I imagine...should it give one a reason to pause harvesting RES considering their proclivity for, um....eating nasty things? I mean, I like my steak from a corn fed steer...you see my point?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Do you like bear meat TJ?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Lunker
Lunker
If you have to pose that question it reveals how little you truly do not know about me. I'm shocked, quite frankly.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
TJ, virtually all fish parasites are no problem to eat directly, if the fish is cooked. After they pass through a RES, they should be at least as safe.

Now, realize I eat beef that grazes over my leach field and potatoes that grow in horse manure.

-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
".... if the fish is cooked."

NOTE TO SELF: This may affect my Bullhead Sushi franchise.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
use diapers instead of rice

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: HotRod
Found some little critters on my bass awhile back and I've been trying to find out what they were for some time. I finally found a good picture match couple days ago and it's argulus (fish lice). They look to be quite heavily infested,(4 to 10 on every fish I catch).
Help me out gang, what caused them and how do I get rid of them?

Rod

Did you plant any fish from a wild source? Usually this kind of thing comes in with fish that are added.

Depending on the size of your pond it most likely will not be feasible to treat the entire pond with various chemicals although copper sulfate is an option but one must be very careful with the application. Adding redears would be a more long term solution.

If you want to treat a fish you catch for external parasites use 2.5 lbs. of noniodized table salt per 10 gallons of water. You could use a 5 gallon bucket and use only 1.25 lbs. Put the fish in the solution (make sure it's dissolved well and remove the fish and put him back into the pond in up to 30 seconds or a minute, or when he turns on his side, whichever comes first.

It's possible this may be only a temporary problem.

The salt will cause the parasite to dehydrate and it's outer membrane to collapse.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/28/10 05:38 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
If you have to pose that question it reveals how little you truly do not know about me. I'm shocked, quite frankly.

So is that a yes or no?

Don't make me get all "sock puppet" on you.

Besides we didn't get a chance to hang out much at the last conference.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Lunker
I honestly had only heard of eating bear on one other occasion before the posts on PB and that was from my friends in CA who own and operate a fly in fishing and black bear/moose camp. They mentioned eating bear, but I thought it was just a rustic/necessity type thing and trying not to be wasteful after clients got their trophy. Sounds like some guys like it - Lord knows I've eaten worse and not been aware [don't look at the kids making your food at the drive thru].

Let's keep Sock Puppet out of this....please.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
TJ, virtually all fish parasites are no problem to eat directly, if the fish is cooked. After they pass through a RES, they should be at least as safe.

Now, realize I eat beef that grazes over my leach field and potatoes that grow in horse manure.

Good point. Helps not to fully contemplate the source of one's food too much and helps to fully cook one's food regularly.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
If people thought about where eggs, sausage, or sock puppets come from too much, they'd never eat breakfast.

H
HotRod Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
H

Quote:

Did you plant any fish from a wild source? Usually this kind of thing comes in with fish that are added.

Depending on the size of your pond it most likely will not be feasible to treat the entire pond with various chemicals although copper sulfate is an option but one must be very careful with the application. Adding redears would be a more long term solution.

If you want to treat a fish you catch for external parasites use 2.5 lbs. of noniodized table salt per 10 gallons of water. You could use a 5 gallon bucket and use only 1.25 lbs. Put the fish in the solution (make sure it's dissolved well and remove the fish and put him back into the pond in up to 30 seconds or a minute, or when he turns on his side, whichever comes first.

It's possible this may be only a temporary problem.

The salt will cause the parasite to dehydrate and it's outer membrane to collapse.

No these are not introduced fish, the pond has been around about 12 years, and I already have a pretty healthy population of RES.

These critters aren't new in the pond, I just got kind of worried about them when I saw them scampering around on the fish, and because my bass do look a little skinny for their head size I've been told.

Rod

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Omaha - 04/25/24 05:34 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Lumberman1985 - 04/25/24 03:01 PM
Low Alkalinity