Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
5 members (Fishingadventure, RogersTailgate, jpsdad, anthropic, Brev), 714 guests, and 197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
 Originally Posted By: JKB

Grass Carp is an Asian Carp. Possessing one, knowingly or un-knowingly in MI is a 5 year Felony, 1/4 Mil fine, plus reparations to the state to eradicate them.

Question 2cat about that one!

When I was listed as a grass carp supplier in Indiana a couple of years ago I had a lady from Michigan that wanted to buy them. I told her they were illegal in Michigan. She said she knew but didn't care. \:o I said no way no how! For all I know it may have been a set up anyway.

I do seriously question why Michigan won't allow triploid grass carp in private ponds. Apparently your DNR is concerned they would eliminate natural beneficial macorphytes if they got into natural waters right? But at the same time we had a retired DNR official at an aquaculture meeting tell us they are worthless at eliminating macrophytes from ponds. Unless I'm missing something it appears they are trying to have it both ways. I remember him also saying their digestive tract is so short they poop out whatever they east immediately. Funny the picture Catmandoo posted of the intestines of one seemed to be the longest digestive tract I've ever seen.

No one in MI knows what MI is doing. We are all pretty much numb from the mole effect. Sometimes it takes tapping someone on the shoulder, repeatedly, to get a response, and then it is only slurred with a pool of uncontrolled druell at their feet because their mouth is agape. That stuff will freeze up here making for more hazardous conditions. Fortunately, the year's of the mole is coming to a close. The effects will linger for our lifetime. Just make sure you pack me in a decent box, I do own the hole.

Lunker
Lunker
I have already told everyone that I want my ashes in the storm drain. That way I can haunt everyone that lives on this lake after I am gone.
Here is the gist of the article, (Carp, real menace or minor problem?- Danger posed by carp is questioned-experts disagree on what constitutes an invasion)
FACTS LISTED IN THE ARTICLE:

1. A few Asian carp have been found in Lake Erie since 1995, but there is no evidence they reproduced.

2. Earlier this month Asian Carp DNA was found in L.Mich, but no live one has been found.

3. In a large lake in Hungary similar to L. Mich where they are stocked there is no evidence that they have reproduced.

4. No evidence the carp will find L. Mich hospitable since they feed only on tiny plankton and there is less of that in L. Mich and Huron (Lake St. Clair too) because the Quagga and Zebra mussles have invaded and filtered much of it out of the water.

5. The food supply is as low in L. Mich as it has been in 40 to 50 years.

6. Lakes Mich & Huron (and Lake St. Clair)look more like pristine Lake Superior with water so clear it almost looks distilled.

7. The Carp would have a better chance in Lake Erie as it is warmer and the carp can tolerate real cold water, but possibly not thrive.

8. The fish need fast, long rivers to spawn in, and many rivers around Lake Mich are too short to satisfy that need. They will find food in polluted harbors around Chicago though.

9. The eggs need to be suspended for 2 days to survive; if they sink in slow water, they die.

10. However the Grand River, and the Fox and Maumee Rivers in Wisconsin and Ohio would be suitable to the fish.

11. They list two species BIGHEAD CARP (HYPOPHTHALMICHTUS NOBLIS): Up to 4 ft long and 80 lbs. Reported in open waters by early 1980's, they are found in 18 states. SILVER CARP (HYPOPHTHALMICHTHYS MOLITRIX) Up to 4 feet long and 40 lbs. Found in 12 states, including evidence of reproducing population in Louisiana and the Mississippi River.

12. Asian carp began escaping into rivers from catfish fish farms in Arkansas as early as the 1970's so it has taken them longer than most think to get here. They were brought in to control algae and floods washed them into the Miss. River in the 80's. They thrive in the Illinois River.

13. The State of Louisiana has approved plans to market the fish to restaurants and fish stores. They will be sold under the name "Silverfin" a nicer name.

They quote about 4 experts who have differing opinions, biologists, etc. Who knows?

HUSBAND AND CAT MISSING -$100 REWARD FOR THE CAT!
I subscribe too, but tried and failed at the fish logo.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Good info... Only time will tell for sure.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Interesting Info. I knew the big lakes would probably not be affected, but the rivers and streams would be a concern.

Check this out.
http://www.streammaps.com/showmap.php?id=SMMI

Pretty Cool. I sold some conveyor rollers to them on ebay then I bought 3 maps, gave two to friends. Quite detailed. They even show a small spring fed creek, maybe a foot or two wide that is behind the house I grew up in. I have the laminated one, but the mural would really look nice on the wall.

Lunker
Lunker
I have been thinking about this article all day. The lakes commercial fishery was really great and then the sea lamprey came in during the 1950's and destroyed it. That is when the Great Lakes Fishery Commission was set up. I'm pretty sure that is when they brought the non native salmon in to restore and it was a success. Everyone probably knows what happened to Lake Erie with pollution, that is when they took phosphates out of laundry soap when I was a kid.
What sticks out in my mind as hopeful from this article are the credentials of the 2 that think it may not become a problem, they really are experts on this fish, dedicated for years and years in studying it. On the other hand, the future of Michigan I think is tied to the health of these lakes. We are moving away from a Mfg. state for a steady long time now. What we have here is very precious, nobody else has all these beautiful large freshwater lakes.

HUSBAND AND CAT MISSING -$100 REWARD FOR THE CAT!
I subscribe too, but tried and failed at the fish logo.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images