Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
victortechy, fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra
18,475 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,937
Posts557,713
Members18,476
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
13 members (Theeck, catscratch, canyoncreek, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, Mainer, Abaggs, Bigtrh24, Sunil, Don Kennedy, phinfan, John Folchetti, gehajake), 812 guests, and 226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#197020 12/30/09 09:46 AM
D
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
D
Our pond is about 1/2acre spring fed(probably 1gal/min), 12'deep in middle shallow shore on south end, drop offs on north and east ends, and shallow bay 4' on west end. It currently has a good population of LM bass and Bluegill, and has sustained itself for at least 15 years. In the summer months we have to control the weeds otherwise they will cover the shorelines and sometime the algae will cover the surface of the pond. Water clarity in the summer is usually around 5-6ft.

My question is if a windmill for aeration will help our pond and if there will be any negative consequences to adding one. Will it also help with weeds and algae in the summer? And if it would help in the summer are there benefits in S,Wi to leaving it on all winter?

Thanks,
Aaron

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hello Aaron and welcome to Pond Boss. Hang on for some expert opinions.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey there dirtyedge ~ welcome to Pond Boss! A windmill would probably be adequate for your size pond. The main draw back to a windmill system is that there may not always be enough wind to keep the diffuser bubbling and those hot still summer days is when you need the aeration the most. If you don't get enough air, then your pond could become under-aerated and that could cause more problems. I believe Outdoor Water Solutions has an electric back up compressor in addition to the windmill, so you wouldn't have to worry about there not being enough wind. The bottom line is that an electric system is much more dependable. In the summer you would want the diffuser in the deepest location, but if you want to run it in the winter you'll need to relocate the diffuser to shallower water to prevent the water becoming too cold for the fish. There are many benefits to having a well aerated pond - just make sure you do your homework and read up ~ there is a ton of great information regarding aeration on this website.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
A small economical electrical aeration system (DIY) for a pond will do a better job and cost less than a windmill. But if the pond is over 500 ft from a power source then a windmill becomes more attractive. Maybe search windmill on this forum site. Quite a bit has been discussed about them.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/30/09 01:47 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The only downside to putting an aerator in a small pond is if you normaly would want to ice fish the pond. The aerator might make all of the ice unsafe to walk on. But I feel that the positive things that an aerator will do for your pond will outweigh that one possible negative.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Fingerling
Fingerling
J
Well, this is my first post on this site, so please bear with me!

I think most people would agree that there are a lot of benefits to aeration, in both summer and winter. Using the wind for aeration can be very effective, especially if you don't have immediate access to electricity and does offer some long-term cost savings. If someone wants the benefits of both wind and electricity, we recently developed a controller that allows you to use both and it regulates the system for you. You can go to our website for more information.

John Redd
Outdoor Water Solutions
http://www.OutdoorWaterSolutions.com

John Redd
Outdoor Water Solutions
http://www.OutdoorWaterSolutions.com
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hello John and welcome to Pond Boss. Thanks for being a supporting vendor and congratulations on your first post!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
Aaron,

These guys have pretty much covered everything. You also asked if an aeration system would help out with weeds and algae in the summer and the answer is "Yes", obviously every pond is different and the reasons for the proliferation of weeds algae can vary, however aerating a pond will assist you with these issues. Here is a link to an article on our websites blog:

(Lusk deleted the link....I don't know this company...will send "rules" email)

I hope you find this helpful.

Last edited by Bob Lusk; 01/20/10 01:08 PM. Reason: new unknown solicitor.....

Daniel Crackower
Living Water Aeration

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
I love aeration... made it possible for me to have Bass, Walleye, Bluegill etc. survive very cold winters in a pond with a max depth of 6 feet. ;\)

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Happy birthday, Pottsy!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
We aerate with a windmill (one acre pond) and it is great.
Only drawback for anyone with a pond is, if like me, you have geo loops in a pond--hindsight, I have learned since that is a big NO-NO!

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Mark,

I was thinking about putting my loop in my pond. What is the drawback?

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

J
JR1 Offline
Fingerling
Fingerling
J
I have a loop in our pond...the only thing I can think of to aeration with a loop is that your are circulating the water and therefore your geothermal wouldn't be as effective. You want the cold water on the bottom in the summer and the warm water on the bottom in winter hence you defeat the layering wiht circulation and aeration. I don't aerate any of my three ponds and they are do fine but are spring fed and have large surface areas

21 Acres 3 great ponds all spring fed. A 3 acre a 2 acre and a 1/2 acre
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Several folks here have geothermal loops in their pond. With any luck at all we will put one in our pond when we build our house on the property. It is my understanding that geothermal loops in ponds are fine but that you should not aerate the pond for the reason that JR1 explained.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

R
R
A Plug for Vertex Waterfeatures System: I have had a Vertex System running 24/7 since December, 2006 and I just had Vertex rebuild the compressor. It has operated for THREE AND A HALF YEARS!!! 24/7 and not a minute of downtime. We were down to 16 degrees this winter here in Florida and had ice on the pond for the first time in the 25 years I have owned the pond. It is HOT here now and aeration is a must. Thanks to Sue Cruz and gang for a great product and service.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hi, ronlutes, and welcome to the forum! Thanks for joining up and posting. Why don't you start a new thread and tell us about your pond and your management plans and goals with it. We love pictures, so maybe a few of those, too. Stick around and stay involved - it's the best way to really get to know what pondmeistering is all about and to get to know the great folks here!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hello ronlutes and a second welcome to Pond Boss. It is always great to hear feedback about our Pond Boss advertisers. Bob Lusk carefully screens each and every vendor and is very protective (and rightly so) about our supporting vendors. Our vendors (notice how I said our? It's almost like I own the place) are constantly going the extra mile for us and supporting our vendors supports both this site and the magazine - the proverbial win-win come to life (is that deep or what?).

We're glad you found us, thanks for joining in and posting.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

M
M
The aeration bench ventilation is what supports the potting mix and plants above the water tank. air gap necessary for the lower bench of aeration and water. Cracks and holes are too full to ensure the potting mix can not flow freely, and never be too saturated with water. practical standpoint, only water as it enters the surface of potting mix after planting, rainwater. Design allows currently about 1 / 2 all the rainwater to accumulate in the water tank before concluding with an additional overflow.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: milloreeri
The aeration bench ventilation is what supports the potting mix and plants above the water tank. air gap necessary for the lower bench of aeration and water. Cracks and holes are too full to ensure the potting mix can not flow freely, and never be too saturated with water. practical standpoint, only water as it enters the surface of potting mix after planting, rainwater. Design allows currently about 1 / 2 all the rainwater to accumulate in the water tank before concluding with an additional overflow.

Huh????????????

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Just an update for those of you with interest in pond loops. This has been quite a learning experience for me. As you recall, I had windmill aeration beforehand.
Two very important questions that installers should ask you:

1. Do you have an aerator? (Windmill or other)
2. Do you ever plan on aerating your pond?

If you answered YES to either question, then GEO LOOPS in your pond are NOT good. It has been proven and I don't want to get into a complicated issue here, but can cause your loops to float. One geo installer in my aftermath research for resolve told me, he personally would NEVER do pond loops, now I know why.

Jeff, This week I am finally having my pond loops done away with and my geo installation will be in the GROUND.

Last edited by MarkECIN; 08/14/10 06:07 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
'Nother New Guy
by Sunil - 04/16/24 12:45 PM
aeration pump type?
by Theo Gallus - 04/16/24 10:19 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 04/16/24 09:49 AM
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 09:45 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by Augie - 04/16/24 09:31 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed