Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,093
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
18 members (BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, esshup, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson), 739 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Rainman said :

"ewest, speaking of selling, can I interest you in some African Blue Crappie? "

--------------------------------------------------------

Question :

How big do they get Rainman ? ;\)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Lamar, a couple of things about this place. It is considered to be the most polite site of any forum around. However, if we disagree we say so and make it respectful. It might come across as negative but platitudes are dangerous and expensive.

That said, I understand about being a crotchety old goat. Actually, I resemble that remark. I'm 67, have 2 2/9 Great Grandsons and am about to sit for my 4th degree curmudgeon diploma. Like Bing, I don't really remember why I started writing this. Gotta go, my bladder is calling again.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
I think Lamar set this thread up so people could get a lot of their old people jokes out.

Getting old is not for wimps!!!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: hang_loose

I'm not too fond of the other option... Well at least not yet!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
 Originally Posted By: hang_loose

I'm not too fond of the other option... Well at least not yet!

Hey CJ, you might not be fond of the other option, but it is better than being dead,--- most of the time.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
That is what I meant by the other option. Being dead! My 86 year old grandfather always jokes around by saying that anytime he complains about his ailments from old age... Something like, boy my knees are hurting me today, it's a bear getting old. Followed by, but it sure beats the other option. He's been saying that for as long as I can remember!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Lamar, I read your post shortly after you posted it. I typed three different responses and posted none of them. Sometimes even I have the intelligence to walk away from the keyboard before posting, granted it doesn't happen often, the proof of which lies in the archives (JAIWAK), but for your post I decided to exercise some discretion.

Post attempt number one clearly took on an accusatory tone. WHAT DO YOU MEAN CRITISM? Us criticize? How dare you come into our home and.... well you get the idea.

Post attempt two was more conciliatory. Welcome to Pond Boss, don’t let a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch, blah, blah, niceties, pleasantries, sugar and spice.

Post attempt three was a blend of one and two.
So here the fourth attempt to respond. Hopefully this will make the final cut and get posted because I’m tired of writing and deleting. Here goes….

Lamar,
I’ve been on this site for a little over three years. During that time I’ve been praised and criticized, called a genius (ok that was by me, but I had a valid point), and a complete idiot. I’ve had people tell me they like my posts and others have told me to stay out of their threads. In fact let me tell you a little known story, a few of months after my first posting on pond boss I had one individual contact me and basically tell me that I was a waste of band width and that I should stop posting on Pond Boss – and I almost did.

Why am I telling you all this? Because if it seemed like harassment and harsh criticism to you then it might have seemed the same to the neophyte (jeez I hope that’s not a bad word), just like the criticism that I received early on, and it might have discouraged additional questions. Which is exactly opposite of what Pond Boss it all about.

We’re a family here. Many of us have met, many of us talk back and forth outside the confines of the public forum. We poke fun at each other and yes on occasion it gets out of hand. Unfortunately sometimes on occasion this occurs in a “newbie’s” thread and the entire purpose of the thread gets lost in the melee. Sometimes we forget that a newbie may not realize that we regularly poke fun at each other and therefore take a comment as a criticism when in fact it was meant as a joke. I don’t believe that any of the folks that post here on a regular basis are mean spirited and would intentionally belittle a new poster. In fact most of the people I’ve had contact with here are quite the opposite.

I’m going to ask two things of you. One: stay around, post on Pond Boss, become part of the family. It’s a great forum in which you are granted free access to the best minds in pondom (is that a word?). Two, if you do see a post that “feels” too critical to you then take action. Either PM the member that made the post and point it out to them. It might not have sounded harsh or critical to the poster. Sometimes the mere omission of a word or the choice of a word changes the entire feel of the post. Or you can do what I’ve done in the past and post in the thread something like… Jeez guys that’s a little harsh – often times that will change the nature of a thread.

Welcome to Pond Boss Lamar, we’re glad you found us.

Originally Posted By: Rainman
Welcome to the forum Lamar and thank you so much for the new ammunition...... I think Jhap may have needed to reload!

Naw, no need to reload. Heck I didn't even "chamber a round." \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Pond boss could become a little dry with out humor. I do not joke much myself as I am hesitant on being misunder stood. Maybe it is because I am unable to spell. Whatever keep up what you are saying as I have not seen any blood---yet. joke

paul weatherholt
L
Lamar Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
O.K. told myself was not going to post on this thread again and just start first of week posting with my pond on another thread. I know this is one of the best forums around been lurking for about 4-6 months. You are the reason I realize this lake is not what it could be. I appreciate all your responses, and right now can not say which post "set me off", I had read about everything posted w/n last 2-3 days when I posted that. Should done as JHAP typed, walked away, then sent if I wanted, needless to say did not do that. Spanking received and deserved!!!!! I only read this and two other forums, all applicable to me and I feel give good and constructive info. If a moderator can just delete this thread
it would not hurt my feelings in the least, most of the responses have been by the posters that I read constantly, enjoy, and respect what they have to say.
Posting Muddy Flooded Pond First of Week
Lamar

Lamar
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Lamar, it has to be a lot further out in left field than this one to get deleted.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Lamar
If a moderator can just delete this thread
it would not hurt my feelings in the least, most of the responses have been by the posters that I read constantly, enjoy, and respect what they have to say.

Oh you're not getting off that easy. This thread shall be saved in the archives and will forever be remembered as the day Lamar ripped us a new one. \:D

I look forward to your lake thread!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Lamar,

My reply to this is has been very similar to Jeff's. I find myself writing something that isn't very complimentary, and is more of a frustration on my part, then what's actually being posted. While I'm a fan of this site, I sometimes struggle to keep up with some of the postings because they get so far off topic and turn into one bad joke after another.

My desire for being here is to learn what I can, and follow along with those threads that I find interesting. Sometimes, there's a real gem that I come across, and is why I keep coming back here.

After the pond is dug, and the fish are released, there's not much more to do with the pond. Improving the land, improving the habitat around the pond, and building docks or homes is what I find interesting. I've suggested a section for this here, but it's never happened. As a result, I'm sure there are some really good threads on here that I've missed because the title didn't indicate what they were building, and I never opened the thread.

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I would like for this to be clear. This thread is worth its value for this reason alone.

If anyone other than Bob or a Moderator contacts anyone on here any says you (anyone) should stop posting you should immediately contact Bob or a moderator. That is not the way Pond Boss works nor proper under Bob's instructions. Please don't send a PM or email to anyone on here telling them to stop posting etc. If anyone has a problem with someone else on here then contact Bob or a moderator. We are not about running people off if they are following the rules.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Pretty funny if you ask me, that somebody's first post ever on a forum is criticizing the people for criticizing too much. \:\)

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm about to go off the deep end of the dock.

Welcome Lamar and other Lurkers. Please don't feel intimidated. This is a very friendly group, with many very knowledgeable individuals who welcome all who come with a sincere desire to learn, help, and make friends with people of similar interests. A sense of humor, even if it is significantly off-center, helps a lot.

We've got the best moderators on the Internet, and forum owners who really take an extremely strong interest in what happens on a daily basis. You can always send any of them a private message and they will quickly respond and react appropriately. It is mostly only disrespect, nastiness, politics, and inflammatory rhetoric that gets moderated (and posts for knock-off name-brand purses, male enhancement products, etc.,).

Well, here I go. The first to take this thread off topic, and the first to disagree with a post. But, that is what I feel this great forum is all about -- as long as it doesn't get mean, demeaning, or offensive.

Originally Posted By: eddie_walker

While I'm a fan of this site, I sometimes struggle to keep up with some of the postings because they get so far off topic and turn into one bad joke after another.

Eddie

I'm going to pick on Eddie. He has been an important member here for a long time, and on other sites where I participate. This isn't really directed at him, but he brings up an important point in his post.

First, I can not think of any reasonable retort for the so-called Pond Boss humor. Maybe JHAP or Brettski can explain. But, even in our everyday lives away from our ponds, most all of us have relatives we don't talk much about in public. However, I think all of us feel it keeps the forum going when most of our ponds are under a foot of ice and snow, and things are kind of slow.

Divergence is very important. Uncommon thinking has led to a lot of successes we'd never have attempted, had we not heard many of the unconventional methods people have applied. My pond wouldn't be anywhere near as much fun for my grandkids, our guests, our family, and me, had I never heard of some of the crazy concepts presented on Pond Boss. What pond professional would have ever suggested raising maggots and flies to improve a pond?

Camaraderie is very important. A very large number the Pond Boss forum participants, and their spouses, have spent significant time with one another over the last several years as we've learned more about pond management techniques and each other. These nationwide friendships have allowed us to share what might have otherwise seemed like stupid ideas -- but have blossomed into many important break throughs (just look at the latest issue of Pond Boss Magazine).

Most of us came here not knowing anyone else related to Pond Boss. Many of us came here after lurking for some time, and wanting to know a whole lot more about pond management. I'm just one example. I was immediately welcomed after my first post, and that was over three years ago. I was made to feel like an important part of the group -- and all I came with was problems that seemed nearly insurmountable to me at the time.

Since then, my wife and I have met the students that Pond Boss helps sponsor, and many other students. One of these exceptional students was named a moderator last year. Their professors are an important part of the forum and magazine. The forum owners, moderators, field advisory staff, participants, students, and professors regularly publish in Pond Boss Magazine, and I feel like all are personal friends. Many of us have developed multiple ties with one another, which certainly can cause side trips within the threads. But, very often it brings up important subjects that might not otherwise get posted if we stayed strictly between the lines.

After the pond is dug, and the fish are released, there's not much more to do with the pond.

Eddie

Here I am, again picking on Eddie. But, this is just the kind of difference of opinion we respond to.

At least here in West Virginia, my pond and its inhabitants need frequent attention to keep producing the way I want. To me, my ponds are like a garden. After you till it, and plant the seeds or transplants, you can't just let it go on its own. It needs regular attention to produce good crops. Thinning, feeding/fertilizing, disease prevention, weed control, structure, and planting different crops at different times of the year are all part of it.

Everyone of those topics has an important parallel in my pond. I keep a strict eye on water quality and mineral/inflow content. I keep an accurate record of fish density and size, and cull as necessary. My structure wears out and needs to get replaced. Trout get planted in the fall, and harvested by summertime. Catfish get planted in the early springtime, and get harvested by fall. Big male bluegill are catch-and-release only. Grass carp need regular replacement.

I'm not sure how much of this I would know if it wasn't for my Pond Boss friends.

Just one more crazy opinion.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
First, I can not think of any reasonable retort for the so-called Pond Boss humor. Maybe JHAP or Brettski can explain. But, even in our everyday lives away from our ponds, most all of us have relatives we don't talk much about in public.

Did Brettski and I just get called "relatives we don't talk much about in public"? \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
ie; cousin It and uncle Fester

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I can see JHAP as Uncle Fester. Well, in a few years anyways.

Brettski, you are too tall for Cousin It.

You might be able to pull off a Lerch if you shave though.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
OK, 2Cat, time to post something about the pink hat!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

While I'm a fan of this site, I sometimes struggle to keep up with some of the postings because they get so far off topic and turn into one bad joke after another.

we're headin' for a Texas size spanking

L
Lamar Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
A Georgia spanking has already been applied, nothing like opening the big mouth and inserting foot. total different feel from lurking than being active and posting. As for Bruce post a few back, never crossed my mind that that was what i was doing. My dad used to warn me about letting my "mockingbird mouth overload my jaybird a--", guess that's what I have done. Eddie have read pretty much all your posts about your property on other forum, respect and enjoy. Have begun thread under maintaining and adjusting on existing ponds, looking forward to, good ideas, suggestions, and yes constructive criticism.
Lamar

Lamar
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Well we can probably let this thread die a slow death. Or we can forever remember this thread as TDLRUANO (The Day Lamar Ripped Us A New One). Used in a sentence... Jeez I've had a bad day, the car broke down, my parakeet died, and I've just found out that there are going to be layoffs at my job, I haven't felt this bad since TDLRUANO. \:D

Oh and Uncle Fester? Come on, I have some hair on my head!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

Oh and Uncle Fester? Come on, I have some hair on my head!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
\:D \:o \:\) ;\)

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
This has turned into a funny thread - once we got past the serious part. \:o - \:D

Hey Lamar I think I like your dad's approach (and your birthday - yesterday). I will have to keep that one in mind.

Last edited by ewest; 12/28/09 02:22 PM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13