Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,261
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,574
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
5 members (Boondoggle, FireIsHot, TEC, shooterlurespond, 4CornersPuddle), 1,055 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
mikel Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
How do you stop good friends from fishing your pond without hurting their feelings? I've let friends come when they ask but now they want to come often and bring a friend of theirs. What are some good excuses why you can't let them fish anymore. I don't want anyone but my immediate family fishing but I don't want to hurt feelings either.

Are there some approaches that have worked for you that kept your friends close but not coming to fish. If the friend would come once or twice through the season there wouldn't be a problem. Honestly I don't want anyone but my family at the pond. That may sound selfish but thats how I feel.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Mikel, I am new to pond ownership and have had to deal with this situation. I let people know that I have a strict fisheries management plan in place, which is true, and that I am monitoring all fishing activities which includes catch and release, as well as any fish that might be foul hooked and not expected to survive. Once I'm ready for friends, and family for that matter, to fish my pond I will notify them with an invitation. I have worked hard to acheive pond ownership and along with that hard work comes the right to say who does and who does not get to fish there.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Interesting topic Mikel. Personally I've used the following excuse on a neighbor: I'm in the process of managing this pond to improve the quality of the fishery. Part of this management process is keeping records of the quality and quantity of this fish that are caught and ensuring that the fish are handled properly. Until I have the management of the pond under control, I am limiting all fishing to immediate family and to supervised fishing activities. Any one that knows me knows that is a complete fabrication because using pond management and JHAP in the same sentence is illogical, immoral and illegal in three states.

You can also use the excuse of property owner's liability, costs associated with stocking and managing the pond, or tales of rogue squirrel gangs that menace unsuspecting fishermen.

Hang on for some better advice and feedback.

Last edited by jeffhasapond; 12/21/09 04:55 PM. Reason: dang FR is a much faster typer than me!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
The truth works the best!

Tell them what you've said here, that you don't mind occasional outings but they are rare. Add that you are trying to manage the pond and it would be nice if they helped with a creel survey sometime.

What is selfish about spending your money on your land to raise your fish? If your buddys think fishing is a requirement, fugettaboutem!

M
mikel Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I wish I could get a glossy copy of Theo's roster surrounded by a chain certificate and say this is the management company I've hired to manage my pond. If I had a copy of this with a few big latin words and some big scientific jargon my buddy's would think this is legit and would stop asking to fish. What do you think?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
One thing to do is simply to say nobody fishes the pond unless you are there, and no "friends of friends" allowed.

Depending on the size of your pond, excess fishing can simply kill the experience for you & your family.

Just tell the truth; no need to beat around the bush.

One member who has been away from the forum lately, saltH2OCowboy, supposedly let his neighbor fish his pond. One day his wife saw that some other guys fishing who claimed the neighbor said that Salt didn't care if people fished his pond. They were filling coolers with fish that he paid for. There might be some details that I left out, but you get the picture. Salt travels a lot so he's away from his pond a lot.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
The truth works the best!

Tell them what you've said here, that you don't mind occasional outings but they are rare. Add that you are trying to manage the pond and it would be nice if they helped with a creel survey sometime.

What is selfish about spending your money on your land to raise your fish? If your buddys think fishing is a requirement, fugettaboutem!

Absolutely, Tell the truth and express your concerns. They will not be friends if this upset them. They will be friends if they respect you and your decision. Thats how you thin them out.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I spend lots of time and a fair amount of money managing, weeding, recording data, feeding fish, and maintaining & buying new genetic stock. Fish food and fish are not cheap. Fish and good fishing are NOT free. I tell people this. There are plenty of public waters to fish in. I invite people to fish as repayment of favors they have done for me. I supervise all fishing, thus I have to be with them when fishing. When I explain my philosophy everyone seems to understand. Living at the pond also helps keep out interlopers.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/22/09 12:13 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Mikel:

If you want to sugar coat it a bit, you could tell them that you are changing your goals for the pond, and to meet those goals, you have to implement strict guidelines for fishing in the pond.

That should leave it wide open for you to make a list of rules.

If you are actively managing your pond, you can go thru some $$, but more importantly, time growing fish. If it takes a couple of years to get fish to the size that you want, and someone comes by and removes them from the pond, what would it take to replace those fish in today's dollars? (that size of fish that was removed) That doesn't take into account the hidden costs of managing the pond - fertilizer, weed control, etc.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
FLESH EATING BACTERIA PRESENT

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
It is certainly a shame to have to worry about others feelings when it comes to conserving a resource such as a pond you have created for your own family's enjoyment. People who haven't spent the time to develop such a fishery cannot be expected to understand the labor invested and how special it is to it's owner. Real friends wouldn't take offense to being asked to limit their outings though, it just takes a little tact to deliver the news. Bite the bullet and breach the subject, good luck.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
You could always offer to let them take over the costs of managing the pond for the next five years including stocking, feeding, fertilizing, etc. I'm guessing that would cut down significantly on the number of people who feel you owe it to them.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Lay it on the line and be done with it. Don't sugar coat your intentions

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
With a nearly 2 YO pond that is growing some really good fish, I have begun to think about the inevitable. I plan on telling anyone that asks; the fish population is just about where I want it now as regards to numbers and condition of fish. When and if I think it is time to take out more fish than my family can enjoy consuming, I will invite you over to help get the pond back in balance. I will be there to manage and measure the catch, record the results. You can clean, cook and supply the adult beverage and sweet tea for the fish fry.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I'm sure this has been said, apologize as I haven't read all replies, but I can empathize with your situation. I am very empathetic as well, not wanting to hurt someone's feelings or really cause anyone any discomfort if possible. However, if your friends do not respect your wishes, then I think you find out a great deal about them. If they are reasonable people, they will understand. If not, well you know what you have there. If I had access to a honey hole and the friend who granted me access shut me out, yeah, I'd be disappointed, but it's a privilege, not a right.

Might I suggest something as an alternative to all or nothing? Maybe have a get-together with those friends you know who fish your pond once in a while, say a few times a year, and invite them. That way you're not completely shutting them out, but you're also still very much involved in controlling their effect.

Lunker
Lunker
Some thoughts.....
Post a sign saying "No Trespassing! Written permission to fish from owner is required. Violators will be prosecuted" When friends request written permission, use a generic "legal document" that includes a liability-waiver, specifies "no guests" and lists the specific date that they're allowed to fish. (Game-cam monitored at entrance). Restrict fishing to CPR, no barbed-hooks, fly-fishing only, etc, ect. "for resource-management purposes". Also include: "Times are tough. Donations toward maintenance-expenses are GLADLY accepted."
This inconvenience and monetary-jab may help reduce their visits and liberties, without making them feel singled-out.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Kelly, it's been awhile since you have been here. I had forgotten just how evil you can be.

Mikel, most of us have had that problem. I have told people that I'm trying to get the pond "in balance" regarding predators and prey. No fishing at this time.

If you do nothing, the problem will probably go away when the fish become conditioned and quit biting. They will lose interest and so will you. Put a stop to it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Generally speaking, the smaller the pond, the more important it becomes to limit the amount of fishing. Resident fish especially the larger ones, become hook smart and more difficult to catch which is opposite of what one normally wants - to always catch some big ones. Also the smaller the pond the fewer fish that are available for harvest, and the more important mortality due to angling becomes. These two reasons are important for limiting the amount of fishing in a pond.
YFI look for an upcoming article hopefully in 2010 by Dr. Richard Anderson (famous fishery biologist) in PBoss magazine about creating and dealing with hook smart bass and angling in ponds.

POND BOSS MAGAZINE MAKES A REALLY GREAT CHRISTMAS OR BIRTHDAY GIFT THAT ALSO REMINDS THE RECIPIENT OF YOUR THOUGHTFULLNESS ALL YEAR LONG.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/24/09 12:34 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
Detective Erika
by Boondoggle - 05/05/24 10:35 AM
My First
by x101airborne - 05/05/24 07:39 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by esshup - 05/05/24 07:18 AM