Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,011
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
12 members (Sunil, John Folchetti, Lake8, JoshMI, LeighAnn, FishinRod, Jason D, canyoncreek, Drago, Boondoggle, highflyer, Shorthose), 1,241 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#192361 11/16/09 02:12 PM
S
Sgt911 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
I had bought some Auquamax Largemouth and the fish have taken to pretty well. I went down to the pond Saturday afternoon and after circling the pond twice casting a lure without a bite, I sat down and began staring at the bag of Auquamax and then at pack of 2/0 worm hooks..and thought Hmmm....Me being of low moral character and frustrated with the lack of productivity tied the worm hook on and sank it into one of the large pellets. I cast it out and WHAM! a three pounder...I began getting a hookup on every toss and really started feeling guilty about what I was doing so I said one more and I'll quit..I threw it out that last time and hooked another good one..As I pulled it in I noticed it was about a 5 1/2 lb catfish, but this one looked strange..what it was, was a huge black bullhead..It was late so I tossed it back it..well I did some looking into it and that was probably a Texas state record for a black bullhead in private waters \:\( So if you can get past the moral part of using fish pellets, that Auquamax Largemouth is like crack to those fish, and it stays on the hook.

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sgt911:

Do a search for Stubby Steves pellets, then look closer for "Chubby Stubby" Much easier to put on the hook!

Go catch that bullhead again!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Hey Sgt911! I have to offer ya a pack of Chubby Stubby's to see if you can catch that Texas record bullhead! Send me a message and I'll get it right out to ya! ;\)

That's so exciting!
Stacy

P.S. Steve says you won't need the worm! \:\)

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
So is Steve doing a Largemouth version?

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Hey, Bing....
He played around with a size to mimic the Aquamax Largemouth food. He doesn't really think there will be a market for it so we haven't done much with it. We thought it would be pretty cool to hook up with Aquamax and do something like a free pack of "Chubby Stubby" when you order a bag of Aquamax Largemouth....
Ah, big dreams for a little company..... \:\)

....It stays on the hook just like the original version does. Only a hand full of people have tried it but those who have, seem to like it. We have a batch of them made incase anyone wants to buy some.

Alot of people want him to make a "catfish" version. We'd call it the "Muddy Stubby" (I just loved that name)!!! He's pretty sure he's not going to do that.... you can just put more than one piece on the hook and have the same effect. But you never know.....

If anyone orders any just call me or when you order on the website store, in the comments section.... tell me how many "Chubby Stubbys" and how many "original" you'd like. I fill the orders so I'd make sure to get it right. We're just having so much fun doing this! Pond Boss people have made such a difference for us.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Pantyhose pellets reign!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Pantyhose pellets reign!
Cecil, you are a right on - BUT - there are a lot of folks that it seems like don't try them and the Stubbies sure are convenient and work very well.

I have found that if fish are pounded too heavy with PH pellets it helps to switch back and forth.

It seems sometimes PH works best and other times Stubbies.
I believe them to be the greatest thing since - well you know - sliced bread?

Last edited by george1; 11/17/09 12:36 PM. Reason: typos

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Hey Cecil, when I drop off the trailer I can bring some Stubby Steves and see how well the trout like them! \:D

The trout in the pond have figured out what the feeder is for now. When it goes off there is a splashing feeding frenzy! Now if only the BG would act that way during the warmer months.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I put a chunk of Aquamax largemouth on one of a three prong hook. I stays on pretty good and is heavy enough for a six year old to cast. The other two prongs hook the fish before it says "What the..."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Hey Cecil, when I drop off the trailer I can bring some Stubby Steves and see how well the trout like them! \:D

The trout in the pond have figured out what the feeder is for now. When it goes off there is a splashing feeding frenzy! Now if only the BG would act that way during the warmer months.

Scot,

I have some from you.

As far as figuring out the feeder you're giving the trout too much credit. They were fed with one at the hatchery.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, the ones I were going to bring would have been on a fishing rod.

It took the trout a good 2 weeks to get the feeder figured out. They ate the pellets before that, but it was very minimal. Now they are jumping out of the water and really feeding. Once the rain stops (if I remember) I'll take the camera and get a short video of them.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Something to keep in mind sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for trout to feel at home and start feeding normally. I've seen that before especially if they were stressed by a long haul or the water chemistry is very different.

Hey if we end up with a mild winter and you keep feeding them you might be surprised how much they will grow by the time you need to take them out. My first planting like that in the big front pond before I had the trout pond was phenomenal. It was a mild winter and the 10 to 12 inch brook trout grew to over 15 inches, the 16 inch rainbows got up to 20 inches, and I planted fingerling browns that were 10 inches by late spring.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/17/09 10:24 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil:
I'm happy with them now. If nothing changes, I think this will be an annual thing. it'll be interesting to see how long into the summer they last. The nice thing about the goldens is that they are easy to pick out as they are swimming.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
My rainbows and brooks we put in our stream at work are so happy and eating so well! We had a big rain the other day and I was afraid they'd head down stream and not come back. I love ending the day at work by feeding the fish!

I'm working on our website tomorrow, does anyone have any photos of fish caught by Stubby Steve's that I can use (I know I've asked a few of you already and I have those photos ready to use!). I never learned how to create a website the right way so I do it the long, tedius, hard way.... so I try to make any changes all at once.

So,....... any new testimonials and photos would be appreciated!!! Hint, hint ;\)
You guys are so wonderful and helpful to me!
Stacy

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Somebody email her the JHAP/cupcake photo and she can photochop it!!

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Let me at it! I'm dangerous with photoshop!!!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
WOAH. How did I get dragged into this???

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Lunker
You're just jealous of Sunil's trading cards.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Well Theo, who wouldn't be?

Sunil get's cool trading cards.

You have your own hats.

All I have are these GSA T-shirts.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Jason D - 04/29/24 09:10 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by SetterGuy - 04/29/24 07:02 AM