Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,099
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,416
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (esshup, PRCS, Boondoggle, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil, jpsdad), 709 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
I just checked the naipcoverage page for my place and the google maps view is more recent.....

Something tells me NE might be a little lower on the list of satellite priorites...

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Good news: I followed Lassig's directions and actually found my place.

Bad news: Photos look about the age of all the other satellite images available for my place...few years old. This one was at least a Summer image so everything was green and lush...

Any clues when updated info would be available?

Nebraska was mapped this year so sometime next year, that mapping should be available. This shows the status of 09 mapping as of 11/10.

http://www.fsa.usda.gov/Internet/FSA_File/2009_naipstatusmap_8-13.pdf

Here is the home page to all of this information

http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/apfoapp?area=home&subject=landing&topic=landing

Lots of good info here, I just from this this morning and poking around it have learned alot.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: lassig
You can get electronic versions of the NRCS maps by going to http://gis.apfo.usda.gov/naipcoverage/ and hiting the print button on the page once you have the map image you want displayed on the page. Once the print image comes up right click on it and click on save image as. The data for NE is from 07 with 09 data available in the spring of 2010. You want want to hold off and wait for the 09 data to be available. CHeck this out and see if it meets your needs.

I don't think this link provides the most current info. I zoomed in on our property and the aerial is more than 3-4 years old. The strip maps I requested from NRCS this past winter are from 2008.

Lunker
Lunker
Brettski,

Is there another name for the strip maps? Not finding anything referenced on the NRCS site with that name. Looking for them is how I turned up this other information. Just like in essup case I am not understanding why you are seeing 3-4 year old information. The NAIP maps where updated in 2007 and made available in 2008. The map shown for my place is 2007, since it shows work that I did in the spring of 07. This is a puzzle that I guess I have to dig deeper into tonight. One of those things that I would like to understand better.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My dirt guy called it a strip map (he worked in the NRCS office some years prior). When I called the NRCS office, they knew what I was looking for.
My guess is that the website does not receive the same attention as the actual NRCS offices.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Followed up the the NRCS - they told me I'd have to contact the USDA next door. Said they'd be happy to provide me with a recent aerial of the place, but to make sure to bring my deed to prove I owned it[?]. Whatever, so I did.

Well, I saw a pic of my place about June 09 - better than nothing, but they wouldn't copy it to CD or do anything but print on a sheet of paper. Unbelievable. So, guess I'll be waiting for Google to update or pay arrange something else.

Main pond was about 2/3 full in the pic - she's full now.

You can barely discern my .2 acre Magnolia Crappie pond hidden in the Cedars and Cottonwoods.

Top two ponds were dry, obviously, but are serving as my SMB and RES/BG repro ponds. All are now full.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
 Originally Posted By: esshup
I just checked the naipcoverage page for my place and the google maps view is more recent.....

Something tells me NE might be a little lower on the list of satellite priorites...

He just needs to be creative. Maybe paint a sign on the ground that says Terrorist Training Camp.

Guys I get approached every couple of years to purchase aerial photos of my property. I turned down the last one and I'm glad I did. An actual pilot vs. a sales person showed up with a picture that was not totally vertical that looked much better than the last one. Without the frame it's $89.00 and he will be back with the full size photo soon. I'd be happy to post it here as it looks really cool! Cash only but he'll give me notice before he comes so I'll have the right amount on hand.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
BTW, if a door-to-door aerial photograph salesman ever shows up, remember their speculative picture of your property is worthless if you don't buy it. There is a lot of room for negotiation. We got a nice pic of our place for $65 this way that was "water damaged" and "had to be written off". \:\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
BTW, if a door-to-door aerial photograph salesman ever shows up, remember their speculative picture of your property is worthless if you don't buy it. There is a lot of room for negotiation. We got a nice pic of our place for $65 this way that was "water damaged" and "had to be written off". \:\)

Very true and I did negotiate. Another way to save money is to ask how much it is without the frame. The frames are really marked up and I can do that myself.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

K
ken Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=...20619&encType=1

Try this one out. Hold left click you can move the page around. Mine is the one with the dock , barn and white house. You can see most of the USA. They get touchy at the nuke plants. You can zoom in too. Some areas my not have the birds eye view. Just put your address in and see if you get the birds eye view. Change the compass for a diiferent time the pic was taken.

Last edited by ken; 03/27/10 10:05 PM.

i only wanted to have some fun
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
We've had several of these aerial photographs done over the years.
There is a commercial business that comes every four years and we have bought from that setup twice....very pricey but you do know beforehand when they will be in the area. (Their pictures are protected and you're not supposed to copy etc. etc.) They are hard-sell and not too negotiable. However, there are the ones that come without warning peddling aerial photos and those you can negotiate with as they are 'stuck' with the photos, unfortunlately, this guy came less than a month after the first-class company came by so he left with nothing as quite honestly other than tlaler corn and beans there wasnt much difference.
I also had a pilot that does aerails for our company that I was in the line of flight and had him take aerial photos ($125) and they were just as good as the commercial ones. And those I can copy/crop etc all I want. Resolutions are not as good but still very much quality photos.

Last edited by MarkECIN; 03/28/10 07:12 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I thought I had posted the aerial photo I got (I actually got two of them) but I don't see it in this thread. Must have posted it in another thread. I promised one in this thread so here goes. I gave one to my parents that are in Florida for the winter and they loved it.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I hope to get aerial photo's of the pond this summer when I finish building my Catalina flying boat. Not sure which remote camera to get, there are quite a few on the market.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
AP:

That looks like a really neat toy to play with! I'll bet you will get many hours of fun time with it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Just something else to do with your pond.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
I hope to get aerial photo's of the pond this summer when I finish building my Catalina flying boat. Not sure which remote camera to get, there are quite a few on the market.

Are you going to strap the lighter cat on board.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
You mean that Jaguar from Texas?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I have a remote control fan boat that is fun to ride around on the pond. That plane looks like a ball! My dad used to really be into remote control planes.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Yeah, you can dump alot of money into RC, I've been doing it for 12 years but I keep it reasonable, only 1 plane destroyed so far.
We have one guy in the club who crashes 6 or 7 a year, but he is a fantastic plane re-builder. ;\)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Be sure not to invade the GSF Deathstars area.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Sometimes Bing is more current on aerial photography than Google and sometimes not.

See Map and look at top left, click on "Aerial"

Bing Maps

Fishing has never been about the fish....

T
T
Aqua Control offers aerial mapping. This is used for fountain and aerator projects, but this tool can be used for just about anything.
http://www.aquacontrol.com/contact/aerial_mapping/

M
M
We might be able to take care of you because we have a plane. Let me know if you want to update your photos.

Pond Boss advertiser for years.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:28 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 06:23 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images