Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
My neighbor shot a doe yesterday morning with the Rage 2 blade. His first with that broadhead. BIG HOLE. He is going to by another pack of them. I really like them so far.

Mikey

Lunker
Lunker
On a 2G connection so not blazing fast interent but this is pictures of my 14 pointer I shot on Monday night. It is a main frame 8 with lots of junk. It gross scored 124 7/8 as an 8 pointer and with 23 2/8 inches of junk ends up a 148 1/8 inch deer. I has two points that are not scoreable and one that he broke off so almost a 17 pointer.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/lassig/14%20pointer/?albumview=slideshow

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Good lookin deer.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Very nice buck...

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd be happy with that one!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I love the character bucks. The more junk the better.

Awesome deer! Congrats.

Mikey

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: FCM67693
I love the character bucks. The more junk the better.

Awesome deer! Congrats.

I like 'em trashy as well!

In response to the question about the rage 2 blade...I haven't used them, but I've heard multiple stories of the blade not expanding on impact. At that point, you might as well be shooting a field tip.

I've also heard they make blood trails Ray Charles could've followed, so who knows...

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I have seen 2 deer hit with the Rage 2 blade. A 9 point I killed on Halloween and my neighbor's doe this past weekend. The entry hole was 2 1/2 inches wide. So in those 2 cases it worked as advertised. I got my daughter the 2 blade for lower poundage bows. Basically just a smaller hole (1 1/2 inches). I would like to harvest a few more to have more to go on, but so far they are devestating. And yes, the blood trail looked like someone poured it out of a bucket.

Mikey

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wow! Awesome deer, Lassig! How far was the shot?

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Lunker
Lunker
OK i home now so I have a better and more reliable connection.

Monday afternoon I pulled into my buddies farm in Adams County about 1:30 to hunt with him and another friend for a couple of days. I had been hunting my farm in Schuyler county and had just come for another firends farm in Greene county trying to find some deer movement. I went out to a stand on the east side of the property (north wind calm to 5) and hunted a stand on a creek bottom. This stand is good to hunt on an west, north, or east wind and faces north. We just moved this stand in this area this July. About 4 O'clock I saw rapid movement and heard a lot of noise of 2 does running full out about 80 yards to my north. I stood up, grabbed my bow and stared at the creek bottom waiting for the buck that was pushing them. It took forever (mostly likely 30 to 60 seconds) and he appeared in the creek bottom and moved to the edge where I could not see him. At first he didn't look that big but I decided to go ahead and give him a couple of doe bleats, nothing so I runted a couple of times and he finally came up out of the creek bottom. He was kind of funny here, in trying to get out of the creek bottom he fell flat on his face. What was funny is the way he got up, shuck himself off, and looked around to see if anyone saw him. After this he came straight down the trail that passes the stand at 15 yards. He didn't stop along the way but once at 50 yards. This is where I decided he was a shooter. When he passed behind a tree at 35 yards I drew on he. He just kept coming at a slow pace, so at 15 yards I let the arrow fly, right through the heart. He ran 50 yards, stopped and fell to the ground done. It was then that I started to shake and get excited. The one bitter sweet thing about this is I cannot shot another buck in IL for this year. The rule here is 2 bucks a year by all means regardless the number of tags you have. So looks like I get to hang out in camp and not hunt the rest of the year. Oh well I don't have to worry about getting up early or being cold in the stand either.

Last edited by lassig; 11/11/09 10:07 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Great story and great buck, lassig!

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Great story!

We can only shoot 1 here in Indiana by any method. I took an 8 pointer Halloween evening. Not a giant, but respectable. After I shot him, I realized it was the 2nd biggest I had killed.

I saw a 4 point 1 1/2 before dark. About 1/2 hour later I saw a big 10. Grunted and rattled and he got nervous and trotted off. 15 minutes later I saw the 8. Grunted and snort wheezed. He crossed the creek and came right to me. 15 yards and turned to look back over his shoulder. More than I could take. Double lung and easy tracking.

Of course, the next weekend my neighbor saw a main frame 14 pointer! So, if I see him I need to let him walk.

But my daughter doesn't! She has never shot a deer. What a first deer that would be..............

Mikey

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Nice buck lassig! Very unique coloring too. A couple shots almost make it look like it is wearing a toupe' with that fluffy red fur.

Lunker
Lunker
Thought I would add a photo here, this is my favorite one

Lunker
Lunker
Got my doe this morning.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Did you shoot it or hang it?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Been a lot of deer around here lately. Time to change things up a little:

Pic from a mostly unsuccessful Minnesota ruffed grouse hunt:

More scenery:

Run in with a porcupine turned into an hour of picking quills:

Kansas waterfowl hunt. Lesser canada goose on the left and a mature blue-phase snow goose on the right.

Nebraska sandhills prairie chicken/sharptailed grouse hunt

The 5 on the left and 1 on the far right are sharptailed grouse, the other two with the long feathers coming out their necks (pinnae)are male prairie chickens. We shot them in the same spot. We also shot bobwhite quail in the same areas and saw some pheasants. We were really hoping for a 4 species upland day.

Iowa farm pond goose hunt. Three of us each dropped one bird out of a flock of 3 and two of them were banded. This was Billy's first goose and first band all in one! Its going on the wall.

Bands up close. They were nearly sequential, one ended in 14, the other 16.

Shot of the decoys/pond

Last edited by csteffen; 11/30/09 06:02 PM.

Every person should have an interest in life - I think I'll go fishing. ~ Thoreau
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Sunil

Both. Sunil, you know how thorough Theo can be.

I'll bet if we looked at the photos under a magnifying glass we'd see stab & strangulation marks as well. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil

Can't you pick on the guy who catches birds with his teeth?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
That is a pretty large doe seeing as you are 7'4" tall.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Ok, now I’m envious csteffen. Boy how I would love to take my dog out there!

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
 Quote:
That is a pretty large doe seeing as you are 7'4" tall.

I was thinking the same Sunil.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
cstefen:

How's the dog faring after looking like a pincushion? You get them all out?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
esshup,

yep, we got all but about 3 that broke off too deep. The last 75 out of 500+ took pliars to pull out. The couple we didn't get haven't been a problem and this happened almost a month ago. Took him to the vet and they put him on some antibiotics and told us to watch him.

The bad part is I think it only made him hate porcupines more. He picked this one up 3 or 4 times. If we run into another one we will have to clean him up all over again. Its only a matter of time as the places we hunt in nebraska also have porcupines.

Good thing he's a well behaved dog, I don't think most dogs would lay still for an hour while 3 people poke around inside their mouth with a needle nose pliars. I guess all that practice unhooking fish has another use \:\)

Last edited by csteffen; 12/01/09 07:11 PM.

Every person should have an interest in life - I think I'll go fishing. ~ Thoreau
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yikes! That's a LOT of quills. I heard that cutting the quill helps "deflate" it and makes it easier to pull out. Having a couple people along makes the job easier as well, it would be a bi**h to do it all alone!

Springer, right? Can you control him so he works closer? (i.e. within sight) I don't know that much about the habits of porkies - as in how much time they spend on the ground.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??