Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,110
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
9 members (Boondoggle, Sunil, jbird5986, FireIsHot, Angler8689, FishinRod, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, Deancutler), 762 guests, and 180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#189494 10/26/09 11:06 PM
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sorry for the delay. This is what I usually have in the truck when I'm hunting with the dog(s). This includes more than what's in the first aid kit.

Water for the dog(s), usually 5 gallons.
water bowl
dog food bowl
32 oz. water bottle that I carry filled for the dogs, squirt top
dog food
extra leash
flea comb (nice for removing small burrs)
matt rake from England (really nice for removing cockleburrs!)
blanket
towel

Stuff in my first aid kit:
Muzzle
Ace bandage
White tape
Roll of 1" and 2" gauze
Chemical ice packs
Chemical hand warmers (lg size)
Super glue gel
1 tube of Nutri-Stat or Nutri-Cal
Needle Nose Pliers
Wire cutters
Regular pliers
Bent end tweezers
Straight tweezers
Scissors (good sharp ones)
Styptic Stick Swabs
Styptic powder w/Q-tips
Couple packs quick clot powder
Bottle of eye wash water
Toe nail clippers

All of this stuff in the first aid kit will fit in a 10" x 15" duffel bag.

Depending on where I'm (and what I'm) hunting, I will carry different things that I might need if I'm a ways from the truck.
At the very least I'll carry 32 oz. of water, tweezers, super glue gel, and a leash. I run the dogs with a close fitting break-away collar that has my personal info (name, addy, cell phone, regular phone, e-mail) and the dog's name on it. I don't let the dogs ride loose in the car, they're in the kennel to and from the field. I have a grate on the bottom of the kennel to keep them out of the water if they're kenneled wet. (I try to dry them off first as much as possible, that's what the towel is for)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Looks great Scott! You had a few items that I didn't think of and will be adding to my kit. For your kit, I'd probably add a tick remover, a small thermal blanket and possibly a stapler and staple remover. I keep fluids on hand for my dogs but I know how to start an IV. This might be overboard for most of you. There are some good rehydration products on the market and those can come in handy too. They are powdered and you mix them with water. You can drink them too in an emergency.

A tourniquet and extra bandages might be a good addition or some of the cling type vet wrap as well as a big syringe to wash out wounds or eyes. You can get most of this stuff at http://www.jefferspet.com

There are some very comprehensive kits available for sale on the internet but I find most of them to be extremely overpriced. You can usually put a kit together like Scott's, yourself for a lot less.

Great post Scott. It's definitely something most of us overlook.

BTW, does anyone here have a "bug-out bag" for themselves? I'm thinking of putting one together and keeping it in my car. Am I weird?

If it's not fit for you to eat, what makes you think it's good for your dog?

AHAHM

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks Anna. The most that I've had to deal with was a 2" long gash on on roof the dog's back from running under a barbed wire fence. I used the water to wash out the wound (two reasons for a squirt bottle top on the water bottle!), dried it and used the super glue gel to get it stuck together. I talked to the vet later that day, and they said there was nothing else that they could do, just keep an eye on it to make sure it didn't open back up, or look like it was getting infected. It didn't and I could only see the scar when the dog had a haircut with a #10 blade. The next worse thing was having one dog suck a foxtail seed up her nose and that required the vet to knock her out and surgically remove it. Those things are NASTY!! I use the bent nose tweezers to grab a bit of skin where a tick has buried it's head and give it a quick yank. THere's a few items that I don't have that you mentioned, and I'll be adding them to the kit. If I think about it, I normally take more water for the dogs than I do for myself.

When I lived in So. Cal I had an earthquake kit, but I don't have anything like that here. If a tornado comes thru I'm screwed anyway (no basement), and usually you have a few minutes of warning if any at all. The really important papers are in the safe, and I doubt that it'll go anywhere!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Definitely learning some lessons about owning a hunting dog... I am just glad Shanny seems to be doing fine after her last injury! If I get this concerned about my dog, what is it going to be like when I have kids? HAHA I hoping all the goodies Anna gave me to put into Shanny's food will help her heal up nicely...

Anna, I don't think you're weird, I have a "but-out bag" too... Well, it's more than a bag. If the average American had the knowledge of what is really going on behind the scenes they would too... After the information I got from what went on just after 9/11 the government isn't gonna be there to help you out when the fan gets hit and starts a flinging... You had better be able to take care of yourself and your loved ones!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Hey, how about that "New skin instant bandage", would that be useful for the dog first aid kit?

CJ your right about having a bug out bag, I have bug out buckets with long coded and vacuum sealed food. They urge you to buy gold for bad times, but you can't eat Gold.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Ammo will be worth gold when it comes... If my house ever catches on fire the FD will just have to stand back and watch the fireworks! HAHA

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
As a member of a training gun dog club here in IA. We have had the privilege of several vets come and talk to our group about first aid. One of them is Doc Holcomb whom writes for Gun Dog Magazine (who is also my vet). I also have gone through the Red Cross's Pet First Aid course plus I staid at a holiday inn express last night so here goes my two cents:

A few things came to mind reading the above posts. I know super glue is recommended alot by fellow hunters for good size gashes and open wounds. But recent teachings have led away from the regular hunter using this method. Several reasons have come up: 1) Wounds do better open to the air than closed, as this does not allow the more nasty anaerobic bacteria to take hold at the problem site which can lead to severe infection and death for the animal. And 2) Most amateurs that super glue their wounds, the vets, in most cases, can not reopen them to stitch/staple them to let them heal properly and the animal is left with at least a nasty scar.

One item I do carry in my bag that I didn't see mentioned is EMT gel. This is a gel that when contacting the skin, hardens and seals to both protect the wound and has an antibiotic solution that is held against the site. This gives you enough time to stabilize and transport the animal to the nearest vet for further investigation and aids in the healing process. The EMT is a temporary solution and can be removed unlike super glue.

As soon as I can find my first aid list given to us by Mr. Holcomb and the reasons he recommended it, I'll post it up for interested parties.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I just bought some of the EMT gel because of my most recent incident. All the on-line ratings have it highly rated and it is highly recommended by several top named sporting dog vets. It has gone into my first aide kit for my dog.

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
ceadmin:

Thanks for the tip. I'll get some as well. Gun Dog comes to my mailbox too.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:07 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails