Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,957
Posts557,919
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
10 members (DrewSh, Kanon M, John Folchetti, canyoncreek, FishinRod, KenHorton, Theo Gallus, Donatello, ghdmd, catscratch), 910 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#185955 10/02/09 12:29 PM
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
I really enjoyed the thread on deer camp that George started last year: http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=140721&fpart=1

A lot of people on this site hunt and I figured it would be nice to have a thread for us to share stories and pictures. It should be cool to see all the different animals from the different parts of the country, plus when the seasons up North are closed I can get my fix by looking at other peoples pictures later.

I'll start it off with a couple pictures from some early season waterfowling.

Mostly bluewing teal with a few greenwingers and a drake mallard.

Opening day limit of 14 honkers. My dad (guy in the very middle) just got into waterfowling, so it was great to get him on a good hunt. One was banded.

Second day of the season with a 18 bird limit. Lots of jerky to be made.

Every person should have an interest in life - I think I'll go fishing. ~ Thoreau
csteffen #185957 10/02/09 12:42 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Csteffen -- we're heading out to central SD tomorrow for a hopefully mixed bag hunt on sharptailed grouse and prairie chickens. Wish us the best!

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
I'm heading down next weekend to see my Fiance in Kansas and hopefully bag my first prairie chicken. Man are they good eating. My dad went out to central Nebraska hunting a couple weeks ago and looks like they had a good hatch on chickens and grouse there. Let us know how it turns out.

Every person should have an interest in life - I think I'll go fishing. ~ Thoreau
csteffen #185962 10/02/09 01:23 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
good luck!

therrien #185998 10/02/09 06:47 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
 Quote:
Csteffen -- we're heading out to central SD tomorrow for a hopefully mixed bag hunt on sharptailed grouse and prairie chickens. Wish us the best!

Really wish you the best of luck Dave! I am soooo envious!!!

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Ric Swaim #186010 10/02/09 08:16 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
csteffen, the 2009 Best Deer Stick competition is not limited to Deer Stick only. I think we can bend the rules a tad for some kind of big bird stick. This is mostly true as nobody had ever submitted an entry, at all, for any kind of meat-stick.

You only pay shipping to my house, so it's a great deal all around.

Consider this....you could win!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #186030 10/03/09 06:18 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Any interest in Texas Jumping Worm jerky? I'll send you some.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I shot a doe this morning with my bow. It has been a long time since I have shot a deer with my bow.

When I was cleaning it I ended up slicing the end of my finger and had to get 5 stitches. There is no pain though so that is good.

Lunker
Lunker
Congrats Chris it is always a great achievement to shot an aminal with a bow. I am sitting in the truck right now (mobile internet is great) in the Fox Lake WI area partaking in the opening day of waterfowling. We shot 2 geese and 6 wood ducks this morning and that isn't bad considering the season doesn't open until 9 AM on opening day. My dad is out in the decoys right now taking a nap and waiting on the night flight. I will post pictures when I get back home, this PC (works) doesn't have an SD card slot.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman
When I was cleaning it I ended up slicing the end of my finger and had to get 5 stitches. There is no pain though so that is good.

If you just cut the tip clean off, it saves getting stitches. Takes a few months to heal, though.

Congrats on the doe.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Here's pics from my Wy. trip.

Most of you know what a Prarie Dog looks like. Here's what one looks like before the lethal injection of a lead/copper mixture

We were hunting pronghorn antelope, but these stopped by for a look:

Here's my cousin holding my buck pronghorn for this year.

I think it's bigger than the one last year, but not the big one that we were looking for. It was the biggest of 150 or so antelope bucks that we saw in the first 3 days of the hunt. We watched him from aprox. 1300 Yds until he bedded down with his harem, then came back for him the next morning. I'll green score him tomorrow.

I'll just have to find a bigger one next year!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #186103 10/03/09 10:34 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Very nice pronghorn!

CJBS2003 #186132 10/04/09 10:06 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
OK, an update on the prairie grouse trip. We were hunting the Ft. Pierre National Grasslands, which are about 3.5 hours from home, so it was a long day. Being public land, it gets lots of attention from the national gun dog magazines and quite a bit of pressure from folks with those 10-dog trailers. \:\)

Anyway, we usually try to go out early when the birds are still holding for the dogs. However, I had to work the first two weekends of season, so this was my first chance.

We were reasonably successful depending on your viewpoint. I kept track of the grouse we saw, and the total in about 8 hours of hiking was 39. Saw both prairie chickens and sharptailed grouse. Only one held for one of my setters, and so I got that one (a sharpie). All the other birds were flushing wild, despite the nice day with light wind. My buddy had a covey of 8 prairie chickens pointed that flushed within 80 yards, and I had the same distance on four chickens. So, we were close to getting our mixed bag. My buddy had points on 5 pheasants (3 roosters, 2 hens) and I had a point on one rooster. So that was fun, but that season isn't open yet.

So lots of fresh air, exercise for the dogs and me, and certainly saw a reasonable number of birds this far into the season. Better than any alternative of which I can think.

Esshup, looks like nice mass on the pronghorn. Post your green score when you do it.

Ric, you've always been my Forum hunting buddy! \:\)

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dave:

Even if you don't get any birds, it's always a treat to watch good dogs work. I did see a dozen or so Prairie Chickens as well, along with numerous rabbits, both cottontail and jack.
I'll score it tonight.

Here's the one from last year. Now I don't know if this year's is bigger or not. The one from last year has small ears tho, that's how I was fooled.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #186182 10/04/09 07:41 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My buddy shot this whitetail on opening day of bow season in Taylor, Missouri.
They have been watching this deer since 2007, passed on him in 2008 and also found its sheds earlier this year. Then finally decided to take him this season.

n8ly #186190 10/04/09 08:13 PM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I probably would have passed for one more year

gallop #186192 10/04/09 08:15 PM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
j/k

What I meant to say was I would have peed myself and then passed out if that thing would have come by my stand. Awesome deer!!

gallop #186202 10/04/09 08:45 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
n8ly:

Tell you buddy a big congrats from me. That's a monster!!!

My 17 yr. old nephew wanted to bow hunt behind the house today so I told him to go ahead. When I got home, he was getting into his truck (about 40 minutes before sunset). I asked him how big the deer was that he got, and his reply was " My friends told me that the deer don't move near evening when it's not cloudy, and I was bored so I'm going home."

I told him that they were feeding him a line of BS and that he should grab his bow and we'd go for a walk. We walked slowly back to the food plot where he was, (talking in a low voice as I explained some things to him) and slowly took a peek into the plot.

There was a good sized doe with twins about 40 Yds from the stand that he just vacated, and they looked like they'd walk 20 Yds from the stand. She knew something was up, so we backed out of there and went back to the house. He wanted to try to stalk closer, but I explained to him that she had us busted even tho we were 100 Yds away, and that it would do more damage than good. As it was, she knew something wasn't right, but we weren't busted enough to spook her.

He said that he'd never make that mistake again! \:D I'm really happy that the doe was there. I think that will be a lesson that he remembers for a long time!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
OK, an update on the prairie grouse trip. We were hunting the Ft. Pierre National Grasslands, which are about 3.5 hours from home, so it was a long day. Being public land, it gets lots of attention from the national gun dog magazines and quite a bit of pressure from folks with those 10-dog trailers. \:\)

Anyway, we usually try to go out early when the birds are still holding for the dogs. However, I had to work the first two weekends of season, so this was my first chance.

We were reasonably successful depending on your viewpoint. I kept track of the grouse we saw, and the total in about 8 hours of hiking was 39. Saw both prairie chickens and sharptailed grouse. Only one held for one of my setters, and so I got that one (a sharpie). All the other birds were flushing wild, despite the nice day with light wind. My buddy had a covey of 8 prairie chickens pointed that flushed within 80 yards, and I had the same distance on four chickens. So, we were close to getting our mixed bag. My buddy had points on 5 pheasants (3 roosters, 2 hens) and I had a point on one rooster. So that was fun, but that season isn't open yet.

So lots of fresh air, exercise for the dogs and me, and certainly saw a reasonable number of birds this far into the season. Better than any alternative of which I can think.

Esshup, looks like nice mass on the pronghorn. Post your green score when you do it.

Ric, you've always been my Forum hunting buddy! \:\)

Sounds like a fun trip Dave. Iowa is really good for pheasant hunting (and occasionally a few partridge or quail depending on the area), but really looking forward to the multi-species upland opportunities Kansas has to offer, although they don't have sharptail grouse.

Saturday 2 of us hunted geese and got 1. Had six more at 80 yds, but they just wouldn't do it. Sunday 4 of us hunted and bagged 3 geese. Perfect time of the year to be outside. No pics though, hunting buddies don't get too excited about taking pics of just a few birds.

@Esshup, never hunted antelope, but KS has them so might have to give them a go sometime. When I started this thread I was hoping it was in time to get your antelope hunt included.

csteffen #186281 10/05/09 10:35 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Here's the new "out West" hunting rig. It will reach out a bit farther than my Weatherby if needed, and I felt that the .257 Wby was a little light for Elk hunting. This one shoots a 175g 7mm bullet @ 3450, or a 200g 7mm bullet at 3300. The 200g bullet has a bc of .9, so the reach is a bit longer even tho the MV is slower.

It's not 100% finished yet, I still have to send the stock out for a camo dip. I need to shoot it a bit more to see if I need an adjustable cheekpiece. As it sits now, I think my cheek weld isn't as firm as it should be. The group sizes will tell for sure. I've only run 3 rounds down the tube so far, and still have to load to get the barrel broken in. I was able to hit a 8"-10" rock on the 3rd shot @ 1050 yds tho. More practice and load fine tuning is needed!

I need to check to see when duck season opens here. I kicked up close to 200 wood ducks from the back of the pond yesterday. Amazing! I've never seen so many woodies together at one time.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #186370 10/05/09 08:55 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Here are the pics from waterfowling in WI this weekend.
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/lassig/WIwaterfowl/?albumview=slideshow
We managed 9 geese and 12 ducks. I shot a goose this morning that was smaller than a mallard. I thought it was higher shot than it was and it landed 1 foot from me. Not a lot of geese or ducks in the area but we made good on most of our oppertunities.

lassig #186386 10/05/09 09:57 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Lassig, we get those small Canada's now and then. Used to call them Hutchinson's or cackling geese -- the smallest of the Canada goose subspecies. I'm not up to date on the current classification of Canada geese, but they are cute little guys, aren't they? Very small bill on them.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Keep 'em coming. Until I can make it out to the midwest/west I got get my fix thru yall. Dave I did get a sharp tail while in ND on our deer/duck trip form three years ago. Congrats on the good dog work on public ground. Oh and we got a couple of what they called cackling geese as well on that trip. There are like 10 strains of whatever. All I know if you want to kill big canada's come to GA, they are residents do not waste enrgy migrating and will kill a man if you drop one on you from 30 yds up in the sky.

Chris what the heck I thought you had cleaned enough fish that you would know how to clean that deer without adding "extra" flesh to the mix. Hope she is helaing up for you.

I have ben a few times chasing deer around metro ATL. It is bow only counties so they get age and some of the biggest bucks in the state come from the "city". The sound of cars gets kinda old. Last wednesday got a nice fat 3.5 yr old doe with the bow. Fell within 8 yds of nice subdivision home fence. Dogs barkign at me but got here outta there and no one knew. Sunil don't fast waiting on the meat stick but next one I hope to get some jerky meat.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
lassig:

Those woodies sure are pretty, aren't they? Do you have to register the geese? I was wondering about the neck tags.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
I have ben a few times chasing deer around metro ATL. It is bow only counties so they get age and some of the biggest bucks in the state come from the "city". The sound of cars gets kinda old. Last wednesday got a nice fat 3.5 yr old doe with the bow. Fell within 8 yds of nice subdivision home fence. Dogs barkign at me but got here outta there and no one knew. Sunil don't fast waiting on the meat stick but next one I hope to get some jerky meat.

I do that in the suburbs of Washington DC in Virginia. There are plenty of big boys, but dealing with the people can be a pain. Dogs barking, septic system pumps, leaf blowers, kids giggling... Amazing how it doesn't faze the deer one bit though! I passed up a basket rack 8 point this evening. I made a promise I wouldn't shoot a buck this year unless I am getting him mounted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Theo!
by DrewSh - 04/23/24 10:33 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by canyoncreek - 04/23/24 10:16 AM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 10:08 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves