Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,808
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
13 members (catscratch, TLL, BCR Pond, Theeck, Sunil, Justin W, Amhano8r, Steve Clubb, Terry Battisti, Donatello, GunBoss, Fishingadventure, FishinRod), 1,090 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Weissguy
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Jeesh WG - I can't believe that incident - and even more unbelievable is your restraint. Not sure what I would have done in your position...lucky one of the kids had a gun to help ease your anger. That plain sux...I know my turn is coming someday - I hope to resolve it peacefully.

TJ - I had my farm pistol with me (almost always do out there), but of course would never pull that on a couple of kids... yikes! It was an accident (the shooting at me part) I'm sure, but I was certainly angry at the time. We've had our issues with trespassers for sure, adult and kid alike. In fact, we've posted signs only to see them torn down a few days later, found fishing tackle that wasn't ours stuck to stumps, bobbers that got cut off with catfish still stuck to them, tire tracks from strange cars/utv's/etc... One time we even had a guy drive up with a boat he intended to put in the pond! I have been doing random visits to the property just to make sure no one is there (sometimes there is)... and in hopes they see that I'm there regularly so just avoid trespassing all together. New, bigger signs are going up soon, and so is a large perimeter fence. Sometimes it just doesn't matter though. So, we are also planning to go to the expense of putting in some cameras to monitor things when we aren't/can't be there.

Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Do you think they were shooting at you intentionally or just be idiots and randomly shooting and some of the pellets came down near you? Did you call the local law enforcement agency? If so, what did they do(or not do)?

CJBS2003 - I believe they were shooting at pigeons and doves that are always sitting on top of the 40 foot (private) steel water tower on our property. They definately weren't aiming for me on purpose (they couldn't see me from their position), but none the less, they really could have hurt someone or themselves for that matter. Not a safe thing to shoot at a giant metal thing just a few feet from you, and NEVER a safe thing to shoot in a direction where people and equipment could be. I gave the kids a firm talking to and sent them on their way. No law enforcement needed to be bothered, and I figured their parents could handle any punishment they felt was appropriate. My wife knew who one of the kids parents was through a friend of hers, so she gave them a call as a follow up. They were quite nice and understood the seriousness of the situation. Their son had aparently told them before we had called, which assuming he was honest about what had happenned, was a mature way to own up to the situation.

I just hope they learned something from the whole thing. A lot of folks in the country would be far less forgiving than I am about such things, and they just need to be safer, for their own sake as well as others.

You know, when I was a kid, I fished a LOT of farm ponds and explored a LOT of other people's property, but I always got permission first. In fact, I usually offered to do some work for them if they'd give me access. Some said "no", but most said "no problem, just make sure to let me know when you would like to come out first" or "sure, but only if I am around." I knew just about all the farmers in the area because of that, which I thought was pretty cool.

These stories are turning my stomach - I'm sorry WG. Maybe it's your proximity to KC - a big population center?

What kind of fence are you building? Around the perimeter of the lake? I wonder what the cost of electrifying it would be? Razor wire? Heat seeking lasers? GSF patroling the waters and attacking any human's with an unknown scent?

I wonder if getting to know local law enforcement would help? Are trespassing laws stiff in MO? Sorry for all the questions, I just feel badly for you.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
1. Poachers
2. Chinese heron
3. Little heron
4. Mosquitoes
5. Ants

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
1. Neighbors
2. Silver Carp
3. Muskrats
4. Crappie
5. Loch Ness Monster

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: rmedgar
1. PETA
2. EPA
3. Neighbor
4. OSHA
5. Ted Kennedy

What is wrong with you Randy????????????? Every single one of your choices would be GREAT in a pond!!!!! As long as the weights don't fall off any of them that is!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by BCR Pond - 04/19/24 03:42 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?