Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Sgt911 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
List your top five worst critters to have at or in your pond.
1. Otter
2. Heron
3. Nutria
4. Flathead catfish
5. Man

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

Lunker
Lunker
1. (Saving spot in case BIL ever shows up)
2. Muskrats (currently, none)
3. Great Blue Heron
4. Canada Geese
5. Little Green Heron

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
1. Man
2. Kids (not your own)
3. Man
4. Man
5. Bullheads

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
1) GSF
2) GSF
3) GSF
4) GSF
5) GSF
\:\)

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
1. PETA
2. EPA
3. Neighbor
4. OSHA
5. Ted Kennedy

Just do it...
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Does "man" include "woman"?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Only if the woman is a poacher.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I'm revisiting my list and will replace #4 Man with #4 Geese.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: FRPeeps
1) GSF
2) GSF
3) GSF
4) GSF
5) GSF

JHAP and the GSA will be in touch shortly.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Lunker
Lunker
Based on what I have read on this board;
1. Thai cobras
2. Texas rattlers
3. California bears
4 and 5. Rosie O'Donnell

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Bullhead
Based on what I have read on this board;
4 and 5. Rosie O'Donnell

1. Water turkey
2. Otter
3. Great blue heron

Everything else is a distant 4th or lower.

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
1. Trespassers!!!!!
2. Trespassers with guns or fishing poles
3. Water Turkey
4. Muskrat
5. GB Heron (though I enjoy watching them)

Last week my wife and I arrived at the pond, and I went out to the dock to throw some fish food out. I hear a big bang, and think, someone is shooting fireworks off on my property. Then, a bunch of pellets start raining down all around me, and they weren't fish food! I didn't get hit, but some of them hit within feet of me... and were quite close to our two boats, an RV, a tractor and a job site trailer.

I hopped in the pathfinder and floored it up the hill to the middle of our acreage to find two teenaged boys... one holding a shotgun, the other sitting on a four wheeler. I believe I was frothing at the mouth I was so angry. I ripped in to them pretty good. They won't be back. What can I say? I don't like getting shot at, and I REALLY don't like getting shot at on my own property.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
1. In Laws
2. Pirrhanas
3. Cormorants
4. Alligators
5. Snakes

I
Fingerling
Fingerling
I
Does anyone have a suggestion how to save my catfish. My pond is about 100' x 60' and deepest is 12'. My cats are huge and I've lost 2 in the last week. My largest bluegill just died this afternoon. I've been noticing large discolorations on their backs and sides. Some even look like fighting wounds. Almost "bloody." I live in Texas and it's been 100+ for about 10 days. Are they sick?

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
 Originally Posted By: TOM G
1) GSF
2) GSF
3) GSF
4) GSF
5) GSF

JHAP and the GSA will be in touch shortly.

Just a jab to see if the DeathStar is still operational...

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
1) trespassers
2) otters
3) zebra mussel
4) rusty crawfish
5) chupacabra

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: IronMike
Does anyone have a suggestion how to save my catfish. My pond is about 100' x 60' and deepest is 12'. My cats are huge and I've lost 2 in the last week. My largest bluegill just died this afternoon. I've been noticing large discolorations on their backs and sides. Some even look like fighting wounds. Almost "bloody." I live in Texas and it's been 100+ for about 10 days. Are they sick?

Hi IronMike, welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have a serious situation. I would immediately post this as a NEW TOPIC - lots of good guys in TX can help you out - sounds like a pressing need. So, go to the Forum List, select appropriate topic, and hit NEW TOPIC and post this question - experts will be along shortly to help you. Sorry I can't offer you any assistance - far out of my experience.

Good luck - I will be hoping for some cool temps and rain for you.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Weissguy
1. Trespassers!!!!!
2. Trespassers with guns or fishing poles
3. Water Turkey
4. Muskrat
5. GB Heron (though I enjoy watching them)

Last week my wife and I arrived at the pond, and I went out to the dock to throw some fish food out. I hear a big bang, and think, someone is shooting fireworks off on my property. Then, a bunch of pellets start raining down all around me, and they weren't fish food! I didn't get hit, but some of them hit within feet of me... and were quite close to our two boats, an RV, a tractor and a job site trailer.

I hopped in the pathfinder and floored it up the hill to the middle of our acreage to find two teenaged boys... one holding a shotgun, the other sitting on a four wheeler. I believe I was frothing at the mouth I was so angry. I ripped in to them pretty good. They won't be back. What can I say? I don't like getting shot at, and I REALLY don't like getting shot at on my own property.

Jeesh WG - I can't believe that incident - and even more unbelievable is your restraint. Not sure what I would have done in your position...lucky one of the kids had a gun to help ease your anger. That plain sux...I know my turn is coming someday - I hope to resolve it peacefully.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: Weissguy

Do you think they were shooting at you intentionally or just be idiots and randomly shooting and some of the pellets came down near you? Did you call the local law enforcement agency? If so, what did they do(or not do)?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Just a jab to see if the DeathStar is still operational...

It's operational and we are currently field testing a new weapon. It's our Sonic Puke-Eruption Weapon (SPEW for short). One sonic blast and the victim has an immediate episode of projectile vomiting. It took us a while to get the beam focused, and once again I apologize to all of the 261 residents of Sand City, California, but it now appears to be fully functional and ready for deployment.

So, to summarize, FRPeeps, if all goes well, you might put on your very own display on the 4th of July.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Oh and in answer to the topic:

1. Green Sunfish haters.
2. Green Sunfish blasphemers.
3. Green Sunfish abusers.
4. Green Sunfish slanderers.
5. The IRS.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
1. A big flock of geese
2. GBH
3. Green Heron
4. Nancy Pelsoi
5. PETA

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Jeesh WG - I can't believe that incident - and even more unbelievable is your restraint. Not sure what I would have done in your position...lucky one of the kids had a gun to help ease your anger. That plain sux...I know my turn is coming someday - I hope to resolve it peacefully.

TJ - I had my farm pistol with me (almost always do out there), but of course would never pull that on a couple of kids... yikes! It was an accident (the shooting at me part) I'm sure, but I was certainly angry at the time. We've had our issues with trespassers for sure, adult and kid alike. In fact, we've posted signs only to see them torn down a few days later, found fishing tackle that wasn't ours stuck to stumps, bobbers that got cut off with catfish still stuck to them, tire tracks from strange cars/utv's/etc... One time we even had a guy drive up with a boat he intended to put in the pond! I have been doing random visits to the property just to make sure no one is there (sometimes there is)... and in hopes they see that I'm there regularly so just avoid trespassing all together. New, bigger signs are going up soon, and so is a large perimeter fence. Sometimes it just doesn't matter though. So, we are also planning to go to the expense of putting in some cameras to monitor things when we aren't/can't be there.

Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Do you think they were shooting at you intentionally or just be idiots and randomly shooting and some of the pellets came down near you? Did you call the local law enforcement agency? If so, what did they do(or not do)?

CJBS2003 - I believe they were shooting at pigeons and doves that are always sitting on top of the 40 foot (private) steel water tower on our property. They definately weren't aiming for me on purpose (they couldn't see me from their position), but none the less, they really could have hurt someone or themselves for that matter. Not a safe thing to shoot at a giant metal thing just a few feet from you, and NEVER a safe thing to shoot in a direction where people and equipment could be. I gave the kids a firm talking to and sent them on their way. No law enforcement needed to be bothered, and I figured their parents could handle any punishment they felt was appropriate. My wife knew who one of the kids parents was through a friend of hers, so she gave them a call as a follow up. They were quite nice and understood the seriousness of the situation. Their son had aparently told them before we had called, which assuming he was honest about what had happenned, was a mature way to own up to the situation.

I just hope they learned something from the whole thing. A lot of folks in the country would be far less forgiving than I am about such things, and they just need to be safer, for their own sake as well as others.

You know, when I was a kid, I fished a LOT of farm ponds and explored a LOT of other people's property, but I always got permission first. In fact, I usually offered to do some work for them if they'd give me access. Some said "no", but most said "no problem, just make sure to let me know when you would like to come out first" or "sure, but only if I am around." I knew just about all the farmers in the area because of that, which I thought was pretty cool.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
 Originally Posted By: IronMike

Could be herons. A lot of my catfish have noticable scars on their bodies (mainly heads), and I've always assumed them to be from failed catch attempts by herons.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Weissguy, invite some of the local police officers or deputies to fish your pond... The local law enforcement presence may help curb other unwanted guests. Places that I bow hunt and fish don't seem to have the trespassing problems they once did and I respect the land owners who give me the permission. Its a win win situation...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...