Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 728 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#168832 06/17/09 08:23 PM
L
lmoore Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
Hey guys,
Couple non-fish species I was hoping I could get ID help on. I found the clam in a small backwater while netting minnows. It was about the largest of probably 20 that I caught. They were down in some muck near plant roots. It is just less than 1 cm long. The crawdad comes from a pond nearby that is filled with them. It is about 4-5 inches long and was the biggest one I have seen in the pond. There are very few predators in the pond so the population is booming. The one in the pic has a very hard shell but the smaller ones are softer. My questions on both:
1)What is it? Incorrect ID on crayfish or clams can cause problems in a pond environment so I want to get a good idea of what they are before I begin messing around with them in a pond enironment.

2)Harmful in a pond? I was thinking the clams might be good food for RES because of their size, is this true? They could just be juveniles of a larger species but I did not find any larger ones.
crawdad crawdad1
clam

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Hey Imoore;

Travis and Bill Cody have commented about the benefits/disadvantages of clams or bivalves in general for ponds and will be along shortly to lead the way.

IMO:

1. If another watershed has abundant crayfish very near yours you will most likely find them in your watershed, too. I have noticed that crayfish shells, as they mature, tend to become more rigid - so you might be dealing with the same species just different ages. My view is - if you can't stop them from coming, and I don't know you want to, then plan to utilize them as forage. Unless your pond has tons of structure I would doubt they could ever become a serious issue with the existence of some predator fish population [LMB/SMB].

2. I've learned that bivalves can benefit a pond in two ways - maybe more. 1 - they serve as preferred forage for species like RES and PS.
2 - they could also help improve water clarity.

The negative effect of clam or any bivalve population would be their removal of many nutrients from your pond. Guess this would include plankton and zooplankton which are the building blocks of the food chain.

I hope some of this helps - experts will be along shortly I'd wager.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I can't help with identification, but I can explain the shells. Crayfish, like snakes, shed their skin to grow larger. The ones that have soft shells are called that in the bait shops, or "peelers" and fish LOVE them. Cecil should be able to help also, he has intimate knowledge of crayfish.

2 years ago I put close to 250 crayfish in the pond, but there really wasn't much cover for them. When I renovated the pond last year I didn't find a one. I did find some in CC's stomachs tho.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Imoore, the clam looks like an Asian clam I actually just put about 100 of them I collected from the Potomac River into one pond I am managing. One of my goals for the pond is to grow large RES and RES love to eat small clams, so we will see how that works out. Plus the pond I am managing is very fertile, actually too fertile so I am hoping the clams will help combat this and turn some of the excess into RES food. Here is the discussion we had about clams as forage

I am not good with crayfish ID, however they do not look like rusty crayfish which are pretty distinct looking and they are the only species that is of a real concern that is found in the Midwest. The introduction of crayfish from a nearby pond probably won't cause any harm. However, someone with crayfish IDing skills can tell you the exact species so you know their habits and what to expect.

L
lmoore Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
Thanks for the help guys. CJ, I had wondered is it might be an Asian Clam. I found a site with freshwater mussells of Iowa an pics and that was the closest looking one. I didn't think the crayfish was a Rusty Crayfish as I was thinking the Rusty Crayfish had a pretty distinct dark tip to is claws. That could be incorrect but that' what I had in my head.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The Rusty's have denuded quite a few lakes in Northern Wisconsin, and the smallmouth populations in those lakes have followed suit. It hasn't helped any of the other species of fish tho. From what I remember, it doesn't look like a rusty either.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
All this talk about crawdads has made me hungry.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails