Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
beauphus, Lina, blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK
18,516 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,269
Members18,516
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,575
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
12 members (Boondoggle, lafarmpondguy, FishinRod, Joe7328, Fishingadventure, liquidsquid, Sunil, Bobbss, Brian S., Bigtrh24, phinfan, DaveS), 1,098 guests, and 198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#168269 06/13/09 10:58 PM
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
First of all, I am a newbie and have been reading everything I can get a hold of. I am starting a new business. Aquaculture. I am going to raise and sell threadfin shad in Oklahoma. I have 30 acres of land with multiple water wells. I am in the process of laying out the land to build ponds. I need help in the following categories:

Pond size
# of ponds to yield ~ 4K shad a week
fertilization
aeriation
holding and transportation (1.5 hrs max on transport)

Up front I admit I know very little and bow down to you experts for assistance.

Thanks

Brad

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hello Brad and welcome to Pond Boss. Hang on and one of the experts should be along to give you some feedback.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Brad

Welcome to the forum you will love this place.
First. Have you checked your soil? How well will it hold water?

The pond size will be determined on the lay of the land and what mother nature has to offer.
You might save a lot of money on construction if you can build the ponds to take advantage of the topography of the land.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Slightly sloping land. Mostly clay. Thanks to all for the nice words!

Brad

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
assuming yer soil holds water, learn everything you can about threadfin, what they eat, where they like to eat it, where they prefer to proliferate, etc....concentrate on the forage and habitat and the fish will do right by you...

GSF are people too!

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Dave,

I have been digesting everything I can get my hands on. If anyone has any good info they can throw my way, I would appreciate it!

Brad

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
I was TA for aquaculture class. I remember the biggest problem with aquaculture was guess what? Most guys get into it because they like doing work independant, like farming , etc. They follow techniques described in books, etc. They follow spredsheet of overhead, variable cost, etc.

However most fail to identify their market. I hope you got one lined up. Know it well see what time of year you need to have fish ready, how much supply do you need to match your demand, etc. Good luck.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Thanks again all. Currently no ponds. New start up business. I have a business plan that outlines customer base, competitors, marketing, etc. And my preliminary guess as to the number of shad needed is 4K a week Year round.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Hi RM

Welcome aboard! The only reason I'm responding to this is because I am a business developer and I love hearing when a guy resolves to, despite the risks, start his own business.

I would listen very carefully to everyone on this site - you've already have several legends in their disciplines weigh in. All I have to offer is a little advice: learn everything you can before beginning your real efforts of engaging in business - study, research, talk to everyone then when you can't keep your eyes open research some more. Here's a little encouragement: The freedom is worth the endless effort of beginning your business - and when you experience success it tastes sweeter than anything you'll likely experience again.

Good luck and keep us in the loop. Lot's of pondmeisters with a love for LMB probably could use your services once you're up and running.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
Hey RM

Might have an order for one of your tanks...feel free to PM me - I've been looking for something for a long time and can't find anything online. You need some SEO to come up under "fish hauling tanks" - these would work as fish hauling tanks....yes?

TJ

Last edited by teehjaeh57; 06/15/09 03:54 PM.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
PM sent. I offer tanks from 20 gallon up to 10,000 gallon!

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
What type of diffusers do you recommed for 40 gallon tanks? I will be pumping in oxygen.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Ultrfine ceramic---about $250 each---be careful not to oversaturate and burn gills.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Wow, I was thinking about spending 50 bucks each or so. Im gonna need 20+ of these things.

Lunker
Lunker
I bought two of these as they were the best I could find...Rex do you think these are of any quality? So far, I'm really happy with the fine bubbles they create:

http://www.fisho2go.com/ceramic.htm

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I like those and think they would work well for my applications. Thanks!

Lunker
Lunker
I use two of the shorter, KA975 models for a 50G tank because they were on backorder for the KA9100 model. I think one KA9100 per 40G tank would be plenty - but again, I am no fishery biologist I simply use them to stock GSH, FH, and transport small qtys of BG, RES, etc.

Rainman, Cecil Baird, Bruce Condello, et al...all can provide far better insight into this process than I and they're really nice guys.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Rm,welcome aboard.If you read and learn everything posted on here you will be a fish genius.Unfortunatly,you'll also be old,fat and blind from sitting in front of your computer for the next 20 years.Just kidding.Glad you found us,and your doing good by coming to the best for your reseach.As was said,do more research,then do some more.I run my own business as well,and its tough getting started,but lots of satisfaction as well.Best of luck to you.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Tom,

Im already old and fat. No probs with the eyes thus far! Thanks for the advice. Im reading as much as I can.

Brad

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Brad You have fit in real well, keep us posted.

R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Thanks I will! Any tips on building hauling equipment. I am designing some of my own.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
A couple of thoughts regarding year round stocking/business. TF Shad don't survive really cold water temps. Also, I don't know the upper limit on summer water temps on introducing them but you can lose them pretty quickly when you stock any fish without a lot of acclimation.

Year round might be a character builder.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Thanks Dave! I plan on heating my ponds where and when practical. Here in S. Oklahoma we dont have many winters where the water will fall below 45 degrees, however when it does I plan on being prepared. Now the acclimation part, im gonna have to study.

P
Fingerling
Fingerling
P
I am going out on a limb here but, is your estimate of 4k shad needed per week a misprint or typo? I ask because I routinely buy FH in bags at Anderson's and they estimate 2k per bag in the small size. If you got $5/lb out of them (you probably won't) that would be $30/bag x 2 = $60 for 4k minnows. If you meant 4k POUNDS of shad per week you'd probably eventually begin to realize a profit. Just for perspective, the Anderson family will openly tell you they went broke several times before figuring out how to make minnows a profitable business. As several have said, research, research and research all the factors..especially the market. Having said all that, I sincerely hope you succeed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
BirdD@wg, BWillis, Mike Troyer
Recent Posts
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/05/24 09:39 PM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/05/24 09:35 PM
My First
by Fishingadventure - 05/05/24 09:16 PM
Detective Erika