Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,927
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
8 members (gautprod, Fishingadventure, Tinylake, Knobber, Groundhog7, Jward87, Theo Gallus, DrewSh), 1,046 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#167839 06/10/09 09:48 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Believe it or not fishing can become work. I'm now moving my female yellow perch from the 1/10th acre holding pond back to their orginal much larger pond as repairs are pretty much completed, and the big pond is 80 percent refilled. I'm concerned once the water really warms up in the small pond I could be way over capacity and end up losing fish. Hence moving them now.

Since the water is a tad warm (low 70's) I'm not keen on seining so I'm catching them by hook and line, putting them one at a time in a five gallon bucket and quickly walking them 450 feet to the big pond. I've now made almost 150 trips and moved 75 big female yellow perch. Good exercise but not as fun as a relaxing day of fishing!

BTW the soupe du jour of the day is the pantyhose pellet fishing a couple of feet below a slip bobber. I've caught them at a rate of 20 per hour this way. (Includes all the walking back and forth). I've think I've got about 25 more to go not including about 75 bluegill up to well over a pound.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/10/09 11:36 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
That's dedication Cecil!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil:

You need to make a mini fish haulin' trailer for your JD! I'll take that kind of work over most any other any day of the week.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil:

You need to make a mini fish haulin' trailer for your JD! I'll take that kind of work over most any other any day of the week.

Actually I have used a really large cooler in a trailer pulled behind the John Deere lawn mower but that's usually when temps are cooler. I don't like moving too many fish and holding them for a little while when the water is warmer. I prefer to put them in a bucket and immediately take them to their destination. I also like the fact that singling in the bucket they won't trash against each other. For anyone that has ever handled a yellow perch or even a walleye it's like handling coarse sandpaper. Two or more fish like this rubbing against each other can't be a good thing.

I'm hoping after this there will be no more major fish moving! I've completely drained down the big pond twice now and don't want to do it again!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
You are correct about YP feeling like sand paper. Between that, the nasty spines and sharp gill plates, its amazing so many fish love to eat them!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
You are correct about YP feeling like sand paper. Between that, the nasty spines and sharp gill plates, its amazing so many fish love to eat them!

I have a few marks to prove it! Only thing worse is the musky and pike teeth I accidentally bump into when sculpting inside their mouths. (taxidermy) Ouch! And yes they draw blood!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
When I had to catch smallies from my pond to showcase at the '05 Bassmaster's Classic in Pittsburgh, it was the most unenjoyable fishing I have ever done.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
BTW the soupe du jour of the day is the pantyhose pellet fishing a couple of feet below a slip bobber. I've caught them at a rate of 20 per hour this way. (Includes all the walking back and forth). I've think I've got about 25 more to go not including about 75 bluegill up to well over a pound.

Ok I'm new here so please explain the pantyhose pellet fishing method? Sounds effective!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
For some reason fishing with a purpose is more fun. When I am out trying to cull LMB I have a lot more fun than when I'm out just fishing.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
JHAP: Can Cecil deduct his fishing equipment as work related now? ;\)

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: NonTypicalCPA

Ok I'm new here so please explain the pantyhose pellet fishing method? Sounds effective!

It's where you take a piece of panty hose and imbed a pellet or two or three in it. Then twist the end and tie off with a piece of monofilament fishing line. When you hook it run your hook through the edge of the hose. Stretched tightly the hose becomes transparent and hardly visible. Also very strong. My trout are real suckers for this when it's time for harvest.

Only downside is I can't get my perch and bluegills to feed on pellets for a few days after being caught on them. Whose says fish are stupid?

Here are three tied up to make them heavier and to float when fishing for trout. I also use a small salmon egg hook when fishing for the trout to keep the pellets floating.

For the perch and bluegills I fish two small pellets below a slip float. Put your split shot a good distance from the pellets to allow them to sink tantalizingly slow.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brett295
For some reason fishing with a purpose is more fun. When I am out trying to cull LMB I have a lot more fun than when I'm out just fishing.

Yeah but you didn't have to worry about not stressing them and carrying them by bucket 400 plus feet.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Rangersedge
JHAP: Can Cecil deduct his fishing equipment as work related now? ;\)

Bait, gas, equipment, seminars, supplies, food, lodging, etc. Always have, always will. If I go fishing to collect specimens the expenses are deducted.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/11/09 10:13 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Believe it or not fishing can become work. . . . I'm catching them by hook and line, putting them one at a time in a five gallon bucket and quickly walking them 450 feet to the big pond. I've now made almost 150 trips and moved 75 big female yellow perch.

Cecil,

You'll be ready for the Iron Man competition by the time you finish!

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Believe it or not fishing can become work. . . . I'm catching them by hook and line, putting them one at a time in a five gallon bucket and quickly walking them 450 feet to the big pond. I've now made almost 150 trips and moved 75 big female yellow perch.

Cecil,

You'll be ready for the Iron Man competition by the time you finish!

Ken

I gotta say I'm doing better than some at 51. I would be working outside all the time if I could, but other than seasonally the taxidermy work pays the bills and that's inside. \:\(

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Brett295

Yeah but you didn't have to worry about not stressing them and carrying them by bucket 400 plus feet.

That's true Cecil. The only traveling my LMB do is from the cooler to the cutting board.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G

BTW the soupe du jour of the day is the pantyhose pellet fishing a couple of feet below a slip bobber. I've caught them at a rate of 20 per hour this way.
Pantyhose pellet fishing RULES ...
Cecil, you're my main man for coming up with the original idea.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: george1

BTW the soupe du jour of the day is the pantyhose pellet fishing a couple of feet below a slip bobber. I've caught them at a rate of 20 per hour this way.
Pantyhose pellet fishing RULES ...
Cecil, you're my main man for coming up with the original idea.

Glad to be of service George. I'm flattered you liked my idea. \:\)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I moved another 23 yellow perch tonight to make it an even 100. Now if I could just get the transfers to start feeding again. Not a peep out of them yet!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/13/09 09:47 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by gautprod - 04/23/24 07:59 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner
by gautprod - 04/23/24 07:22 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 05:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/23/24 03:33 PM