Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,994
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (Boondoggle, FishinRod, catscratch, Theo Gallus), 1,226 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
S

Thanks for this great forum lots of info. I have a pond I'm trying to get a handle on that has lots of FA. Was hoping to find a source to purcase Tilapia to try to control it. I am about 1 hour south of Kansas City so eastern Kansas western Missouri would be great but I am willing to travel to get some. I think I have a couple of strikes against me already the pond gets some run off from fertilized fields and is also spring fed and very clear most of the time. This is a fairly old pond and is about 10' deep at the deepest spot. I have 4 boys (12,11,6,&3) and dad is losing some serious points when they have to go to the neighbors pond to fish. The pond does have some larger bass, crappie, and bluegill in it. I have used some chemical means and it helps but I can't seem to get ahead of it and have found some additional info and products on here that I will try. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Sportfloor,

Do a search for Rainman on this site and send him a PM. He raises blue tilapia and may be able to help you. You might also look up Charlie Wallace. He stocks fish in your area and might be able to get some. Otherwise, you might have to drive to Texas to get some. Hope your on the Kansas side because they are illegal to stock on the Missouri side.

I'll be in Harrisonville, Belton, Hume, and Nevada, MO tomorrow. I wish I could throw some on the truck for you, but I don't have a good source. I'd check with Rainman first, but I know his supply was limited. He's in St.Louis- by the way, but he has been known to make long journeys to help people out.

I have a client in Mound CIty, KS that is also looking for some. Maybe I could hook you guys up, and you could borrow my tanks and go to Texas to get some. Might be a way to split travel. Give me a shout at 816-804-5604 if you want me to put you in touch with others needing the fish. Good luck.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Howdy, sportfloor, and welcome to the Forum.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
If I met you in Kansas would that be ok? Kinda the 3 S's Stock smile and shut up \:\)

A little snow, Please!
S
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
S
Thanks for the welcome. The 11 year old caught a 5 pound bass from the neighbors pond yesterday so they may say the heck with our pond anyway. I'm sure there our some that size in our pond but its tough to find a place to fish. Shawn you are actually not too far away form me on your trip. Thanks for the names and numbers I'll see what I can find out. I think going to Texas would be a little too far, its Baseball season and I can hardly find enough time to mow the lawn. I am in Kansas between Paola and LaCygne so not delivering in Missouri shouldn't be an issue.
trailsguy, are you saying you can get some ? I went down to the pond last night and it looks like I might have a handle on the FA but now it looks like either baby pondweed or southern naiad has taken over and is everywhere. This stuff is really fine when you take some out its almost like a real fine net. I'll see if I can't get some pics up. I have seem some grass carp in the pond and they are huge, someone told me the big ones don't do much and I needed some smaller, any truth to that. If so I will probably be needing some Grass Carp also. Will Grass carp live in a sewer lagoon ? We have a new lagoon and the county inspector recommended it but I would rather hear from someone that might know more. Thanks for all the info.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Sport, I delivered Tilapia to Edwardsville and Paola two weeks ago.

BTW, welcome to the forum

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
No, I am saying if there was a guy in Kansas I would come over and accidentally let some fall into a tub in the back of my truck while I was un aware and then somehow and accidentally they fell in my aquarium.

Last edited by trialsguy; 06/05/09 07:55 PM.

A little snow, Please!
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
trailsguy, I send an awful lot of tilapia out for aquarium use---that is legal.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Sweet biscuit! I have a aquarium that I could raise some in. That would be fun

A little snow, Please!
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Butting in...Hey Shawn...20 grass carp I put in 2.5 acres pond last summer i near Butler we exchanged infor on has slicked it up...i fear too slick...god man do they grow fast!

22 to the forehead is effective as a thinning method.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Habitatpro,

Shooting fish is just plain fun, too!!! So, how big are they now compared to when stocked? Glad to hear your Chara problem is solved. Keep shootin'!!

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Sportfloor -

I am located in the Kansas City area and have Tilapia available for sale from time to time. PM me if you'd like info. \:\)

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
they were 8-10 inch fish at stocking and Id say average now is 24 plus

Fingerling
Fingerling
In planning ahead for next spring, I am attempting to manage a very small L shaped pond of about 1/10 acre. Weeds and Algae are a major problem. I am considering using Tilapia to clean it up - especially all of the decaying organic matter on the bottom (it varies from 4 feet in the leg section and 13 feet deep in the Long part).

Does anyone know of a source who will either deliver to SW Michigan or is close enough to drive to?

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Rainman? Have truck will travel (if the price is right)

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Welcome to the forum 3NYAW!!

I completely missed this thread!

3NYAW, I sent you a private message---click the blinking envelope at the top of the page.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Ive decided to wait until next spring but I'm definitely going to do it, seems like we have a growing number of people in the area looking at tilaps as an option. I'm in Lee's Summit

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
3NYAW, welcome to Pond Boss, we're glad you found us.

SK63, I'd all tilapia to my pond in a heartbeat if California would allow them. They seem to solve many problems (weed eaters, good forage base) and don't seem to have any negatives.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Jhap...any clue what the penalty is for stocking TP or other invasive fish in CA? I'm not suggesting you take the law into your own hands, really just curious about what kind of stakes one plays with when it comes to violating regs like this. Again, I am NOT advocating any violation of state regs - they are in place for a reason - to protect and preserve everyone's shared natural resources....just wanted to qualify my question!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Jhap...any clue what the penalty is for stocking TP or other invasive fish in CA? I'm not suggesting you take the law into your own hands, really just curious about what kind of stakes one plays with when it comes to violating regs like this.

Based upon my research you are required to spend a month with either:

(a) Paris Hilton
(b) Britney Spears
(c) Octomom

It's just not a risk that I'm willing to take.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM