Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 719 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
YMURF, welcome to PB.

I have never heard of anyone fixing a leak using Bentonite by the sprinkle method. I've tried it twice and it just floated to the bank.

There are three different grades,There is powder and there is granular and there is pellet.The granular and pellet will sink to the bottom but the powder will float more,It is used only if pond id drained.

Last edited by ymurf; 06/02/09 05:26 AM.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Like Dave, I got no joy by sprinkling bentonite and I tried powder, granular and pellet. I applied by boat and from shore. Over 2 tons total in ~.75 acre. Didn't seem to matter that I thought I knew where the leek was....it either didn't work or the source of the leak is somewhere else. Also could be because it really doesn't stay in place if the sides are too steep.

Good luck with it ymurf, it may work for you.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
I don't have much faith either that's why I am curious about the luck they get with this liquid stuff.

S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
Ymerf, you can review our product and case studies at http://www.seepagecontrol.com or call our offices and someone can help you troubleshoot what is going on. There is also a form on the contact page that asks questions about the pond to help our people get a better picture of what is going on.

The bentonite won't hurt anything, but I doubt if sprinkling it is going to accomplish what you are hoping for. Just let us know if you'd like some help. Vance C.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
You guys notice any leak fixes from using the DB-100 yet?

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
ymurf, I no longer have any standing water at the toe of my dam but the ground is still a little damp. Went from about .5 inches loss a day to a little over .25 inches per day. Still waiting on the rain to bring the water level back up to see if it holds. I plan on ordering another 6 gallons even though I'm not absolutely sure it fixed the leak......because it does a pretty good job of clearing the water and does not cost that much more than the equivalent amount of alum.

Seems like belkins456 had good results.

I would be interested to find out if anyone else has tried DB-100 and what their results are also.

T
tmc Offline
Fingerling
Fingerling
T
Hey, I used to check this site often but have been away for a while. My pond has 6" - 12" of "muck" on the bottom, mostly decomposed organic material. Does anyone have an opinion about the DB-100 being able to consolidate this material and hopefully slow my leakage? The dam is covered with trees, most too large to remove, and I suspect there is leakage around roots as well as through rock strata around the pond. I can't afford to drain and have the muck removed, so hopefully this product will help. I tried emailing the company selling DB-100, but the email kept being rejected as an invalid address. I will call them tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any replies.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Sorry i've been out of the loop for a while! I definately have considerable difference in seepage now. I still can't determine if what i'm losing is from seepage or evaporation but i'd say its at least slowed water loss down 60% if not more. I'm going to put another 6 gallons in because just as cheezy1963 said even if it doesnt slow or stop your leak (which in my opinion it does) it still is one hell of a water clarifier and is dirt cheap! Keep in mind also I dont have a leaking dam or what i would consider a hole in my pond. It just has a slow seepage over entire basin in my opinion so results may vary on different types of leaks obviously.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Same here belkins456, I can't be for sure that the DB-100 totally stopped the seepage but it does look like it slowed it down. I'm going to order another 6 gallons and see where it goes from there. Sure would be nice if I could get some rain to raise the water level to see what happens to the seepage rate.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Well hot dry summer is just around the corner so I wouldn't count on rain too much. I just hope I can keep most of the water I already have and top it off with nice fall and winter rains later on this year! Cheezy can you explain to me in some detail how you rigged the trash pump to spray. Did you apply to banks or just pump it right into the water? I think i'm just going to rig a trash pump and spray it into existing water. Too much trouble to go around and cover entire bank area since my pond is on a steep grade.

Lunker
Lunker
My turn next. Friday I'll be getting some of the DB-200(6lbs dry) 'an DB-100(3 gal. liquid). This weekend I'll spread 1/4 ton of lime dust/gravel, then ??100lbs of salt, and apply the dry polymer. Hopefully I can get a guy down the way with a big John Deer to spend a couple of hours packing down my 1/4 acre pond basin.

Thursday my well should be dug and maybe I can have it ready to pump by next week. I'm throwing everything, except bentonite, at the pond. There's no clay to be found nearby and water is the less pricey alternative if I can get the pond to seal somewhat. I pumped from 4" up to 15" of water today to see how bad it's leaking. (Edit: verified water loss at 2.25" a day; 6/11)

My hydro ram pump is really cool, pumps up about 16,000 gallons a month using only the energy from the flow, yet the spring quits when the weather turns hot/dry and pond water is needed the most. May be able to tweak more efficient use of the spring water in the future.

Doug of ponddoctors said the DB stuff is selling fast; will report soon!

Another update. Saturday June 13: Met Doug at his place yesterday, he had just received a fresh shipment of DB so I purchased 6 gal of dry DB-200 and 6 gal of wet DB-100. He gave me the $3 tour of his 2 ponds via golf cart; has big 10lb trout and aggressive BG. Monday/Tuesday goal; begin intalling a pump in my new 170' 6" diameter well. Wed/Thurs goal; spread 240lbs salt, 40+lbs of DB-200, 500lbs lime dust, and 500lbs bentonite. Friday, catch up day, I always get behind! Saturday, hopefully pump water. July is pond time.

Last edited by SoSauty; 06/13/09 08:56 PM. Reason: update

Self-educated rednecks, the real intelligentsia.
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
 Originally Posted By: SoSauty
My turn next. Friday I'll be getting some of the DB-200 'an DB-100. This weekend I'll spread 1/4 ton of lime dust/gravel, then ??100lbs of salt, and apply the dry polymer. Hopefully I can get a guy down the way with a big John Deer to spend a couple of hours packing down my 1/4 acre pond basin.

Thursday my well should be dug and maybe I can have it ready to pump by next week. I'm throwing everything, except bentonite, at the pond. There's no clay to be found nearby and water is the less pricey alternative if I can get the pond to seal somewhat. I pumped from 4" up to 15" of water today to see how bad it's leaking.

My hydro ram pump is really cool, pumps up about 16,000 gallons a month using only the energy from the flow, yet the spring quits when the weather turns hot/dry and pond water is needed the most. May be able to tweak more efficient use of the spring water in the future.

Doug of ponddoctors said the DB stuff is selling fast; will report soon!

You guys keep us posted on how this stuff works.I am having the guy that dug mine come here in july to do some grading to get more flow to my pond plus going to ad some gutters to the house to pipe to the pond but I still need to fix the leak or seepage I am getting out the back toe of my dam.Keep us posted.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Good luck SoSauty. I would say this site is probably responsible for the peak in DB100 sales : )

belkins456, all I did was drill and tap a hole in the 'suction' side aluminum hose fitting. Then I screwed in a 3/8 inch hose barb fitting. Ran a hose to a valve and then into the bucket. Need the valve so you can get the pump running and then open it up. Make sure you don't open the valve without water flowing.

I didn't want to risk messing up my pump, so I drilled the hole in the hose connector just above where the hose is clamped on. I'm not sure what the hose connectors are called but my connector slides on the pump and has two levers that pull forward to lock it on. The idea was that if I messed up, all I would have to do is by a new hose connector and then attach the hose back to it. Hope this makes sense.

The trick will be getting the right size hose barb fitting. In my application, I used a 3/8 inch. My pump is 3 inches and I have the discharge reduced to 1.5 inches. Seemed to mix real good. No clumping at all. Took about 1 hour to put out 6 gallons.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
I spend most of my time trying to get the ponds to hold more water. You guys keep us posted.

Thanks for the info.

Otto

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Cheezy1963- If it's not too much trouble any way you could take a picture of that? I think I have an understanding but a picture is worth a thousand words! Those intake hoses are kind of expensive and I was going to be renting one so i'm not sure I can drill a rental coupling out?

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Sure Otto. So far it seems to be working at reducing the seepage.

belkins456, I will take a picture for you tomorrow. I agree, once you see it....you will know what to do. If you are going to be renting the pump then you might want to start looking for a replacement connector. You shouldn't have to buy the whole hose + connector. When I was looking for a reducer to take the 3 inch discharge side down to 1.5 inches, I ran across a place that had just the connectors but I can't remember what they are called. It was a pipe fitting company that had them. You might do some checking around. Shouldn't cost too much compared to the whole suction hose...I would guess maybe less than $50.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
belkins456, see if this pic helps.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Ok that is what i was picturing. Yes the picture helped alot! So from that threaded fitting you just ran a hose with valve back into your bucket of DB-100 and after water is pumping just open the valve right? What size hose is that again? I just need to find a cheap way to engineer this on a rented intake hose. Thanks again!

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Yes, just run the hose to a valve and then into the bucket. Make sure you use some good hose that won't collapse. Close the valve until you get water going through the pump...then open the valve and you should see the DB-100 flowing if you used clear hose.

For my setup, I used a 3/8 barb fitting with a 3/8 valve and hose. I ran with the valve wide open and there was no clumping at all. Your setup may vary depending on the pump size. Mine is 3 inch with the discharge side reduced to 1.5 inches.

I bet you can find the aluminum hose connector. If you can, you could just modify the rented one and then replace it with the new one when your done. Or check into the insurance.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Guy's I've been following these posts with much interest cause I also have a leaky dam, I have one observation, wouldn't it work also if you connected the outlet of the pump to one arm of a Y valve, and a hose from the other arm of the valve into the DB-100 bucket, and run a hose from the outlet of the valve into the pond.
If this worked then you wouldn't have to worry about clogging up the pump.
The force of the water flowing thru the Y valve should create enough suction to draw the DB-100 out.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 06/10/09 12:24 PM.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
That's a really good question adirondack? It seems like it would work. I may try that since I do own a piece of discharge I could play with and not be out any money if i screw it up. As long as you are creating a draw and mixing the water with product I don't think it matters how it happens.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
That is a good idea adirondack. Might just work. I'm not sure how much mixing the pump actually does. Would be worth a try.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I'm ready to give the DB-100 a try (I think). My pond relies almost 100% on Spring runoff. It will drop over 50% by September on dry years. Where can I get the stuff?

Working hard so others don't have to.

J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Georges - link below...

http://www.ponddoctors.org

J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Adirondack Pond - I don't think it will work. I recall speaking w/ the Ponddoctors guys (Doug I believe) - and I recall he said use a device like that on the inlet side.

When we did my pond last year - my brother in law mis-understood and made a home made y valve for the outlet side - it didn't work. There's no suction on that outlet side. DOesn't do diddly.

Which is why we went & got a brine tank & did it that way - takes way too long.

Cheesy did it the right way - but w/ the quick couplers he has - I don't know what challenges that provides for one of the y connectors

Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails