Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
beauphus, Lina, blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK
18,516 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,991
Posts558,271
Members18,517
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,575
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
1 members (H20fwler), 598 guests, and 158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
When I was young and didn't have money I did most of my stocking the "livewell" or bucket way... I stocked neighborhood ponds this way. Would buying fingerlings from the hatchery been better, yes... However, it wasn't realistic for my budget at the age of 16 nor would I waste money on a neighborhood pond anyone can fish in and do what they want with those fish! It's not perfect, but IMO you can certainly establish a healthy fishery that way and for far less money than if you buy fish. There are lots of risks though, but this isn't a pristine private virgin pond we're dealing with here. It's an fairly aged pond, that numerous people have access to that has who knows what fish in it already... There is a big difference between managing your private pond that you control and a neighborhood pond. Others may disagree and say stocking fish caught from other ponds is terrible, there's no way you can establish a good fishery this way. Well not everyone can afford a private pond in their back yard nor the cost of the fingerling fish to stock a 5 acre pond... So the other option is catch fish from other locations, I've done it and it can work.

Since the budget is tight and this isn't just your pond, why waste money on hatchery fish, when anyone can come catch them out and there isn't a thing you can do about it? Fish other lakes in the area and put the bluegill, redear, yellow perch or what ever species you wish to try in there. When catching fish from other lakes to transport to a new pond, I use something like THIS. It will keep any warm water species like bluegill or bass alive and healthy for the time you need to transport them. While fishing I keep fish in a trash can with holes drilled in it and weighted on the bottom. Sink the trashcan in the water where you're fishing, as you catch fish flip them in the trashcan. The holes allow water exchange and refreshed DO to get to your fish until you are done fishing and ready to head home... Don't overcrowd the fish and you can use salt or a commercial livewell additive to help keep your fish healthy and increase survival rates. Also consider using barbless hooks to decrease hook mortality rates.

The VA Beach area has several good panfish lakes to choose from to include: Lake Whitehurst(excellent walleye fishing in the lake), Trashmore Lake, Lake Drummond(a classic natural lake which does not support bluegill but will support other fish like yellow perch and chain pickerel), Northwest River Park Lake(lots of stunted sunfish, maybe a good place to catch large numbers of sunfish easily for stocking purposes) and Lake Kilby(the [panfish in here get very large and much like Theo's repost of Mr. Lusk's "black" bluegill, the sunfish look much the same way because of the dark tannin waters. It may be a good place to get larger sunfish adapted to tannin stained waters) I've fished all the above listed lakes and the VDGIF descriptions of them are very accurate IMO.

I can tell you, from past experience, bluegills when put into a pond they like breed like rabbits. If bass populations are low, just a dozen bluegills will be thousands in less than a year. Your pond already is bass heavy, so this is the challenge. My concern is also the water chemistry of your pond, not that bluegills can survive in it, but whether they will thrive in it. If they are going to be the back bone of your fishery, they need to do more than just survive, the need to THRIVE. IME, they won't... We won't know until you stock some big ones and see how they do.

Best of luck!

N
N Beach Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
N
Thanks for all the help and ideas everyone. This place is truly a valuable resource for everything pond/lake. I was planning on going with the transplanting method until I saw this article in the Va Pilot from yesterday. Which mentions the Army Corps' plan:

Quote:
Speaking at a scientific conference about the Lynnhaven, corps officials said they envision a multipronged assault: restoring wetlands, replanting sea grasses, removing muddy sediments that cloud the water and smother fish habitat, and reconnecting 20 man-made lakes to the tidal rhythm of the river.

Construction wouldnt start (if it even does) till 2014, but I guess I should make a few calls and see if my pond is included in that list (there really aren't that many along the Lynnhaven River system, and most are tiny, mine's a medium sized on average) before I start trying to revive a fishery that is doomed anyways.

Looking on the bright side of this though, maybe in 6 years I can dock my boat at my house instead of trailering it and catch puppy drum, flounder, and croaker in my backyard instead of LMB and BG, and the property value will benefit greatly from the deep water access.

Again thanks for all your help guys. This has been a very informative discussion.

Last edited by N Beach; 05/13/09 09:28 AM.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
WOW! That costs a lot of money to do dredging... The inlet my dad's house on has gotten shallow over the year and the costs are staggering to dredge it out. If they end up removing the man made dam and reverting it back to tidal flow and dredging it out it certainly would jack up the property value. I love catching croaker right off my dad's dock.

They fight like carp on steroids!

N
N Beach Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
N
That is a horse croaker \:o How far up the bay is your dad? Havent seen one that big in a while.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
BirdD@wg, BWillis, Mike Troyer
Recent Posts
My First
by H20fwler - 05/06/24 04:29 AM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by BarkyDoos - 05/05/24 11:33 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/05/24 11:23 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?