Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls
18,474 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,936
Posts557,711
Members18,475
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
15 members (Theo Gallus, Bigtrh24, Theeck, Mainer, catscratch, FireIsHot, Layne, Sunil, Abaggs, homewardbound, Zep, Augie, e_stallman, FishinRod, canyoncreek), 900 guests, and 179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
esshup #208074 03/14/10 09:01 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Brettski:

I'm glad that you posted that pic. I will be putting up one of those Mallard Tubes and was wondering how close I could put it to the Wood Duck box.

Don't presume my layout is a formula for success. I really don't know either way.

Lunker
Lunker
Brettski,

Have you done any maintenance on the wood duck boxes? Just asking since they should be cleaned out ever year and have fresh bedding added. I good job to due in the winter. I have wood duck boxes on our property in Northern Wisconsin for the last 25 years. I have woodies in most boxes ever year. My dad was at the property the first weekend in Feb. and cleaned out all eight of them.

I have a lot of wood ducks around my farm in Illinois and put in some wood duck boxes last fall on the new pond. I have mixed emotions now since most likely I have to drain the pond to fix a leak. I kind of hope the woodies don't use the boxes this year but doubt it since I see many pairs on my propert looking for nesting place from now though turkey season.

esshup #208087 03/14/10 09:26 PM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Brettski:

Good news! I'll bet you will have little wood ducks this year. I'm glad that you posted that pic. I will be putting up one of those Mallard Tubes and was wondering how close I could put it to the Wood Duck box.

Scott

I just read in preparation for my WD boxes that they are very territorial, at least in regards to other WDs, and to space boxes at least 100 ft from eachother and, if possible, out of the range of sight. Not sure if other duck species would be the same, but 100 feet spacing seems like a safe bet to me.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I've had one woodie box on my pond for 3 seasons now, the little buggers are on my pond all spring and summer but have never used the box, I see them in the stream near the pond also so they must be using old trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
TJ:

I read that they should be placed so the hens wouldn't see another woodie box if they looked out their own nest box. I think 100' is a safe bet anyway. I had a pair want to land on the pond today, but I was out there and they headed to the next pond South of me. He's got a couple of pair that nest there.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
lassig #208141 03/15/10 08:06 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: lassig
Brettski,

Have you done any maintenance on the wood duck boxes? Just asking since they should be cleaned out ever year and have fresh bedding added.

I cleaned them out the first winter, then missed the next winter and also this current winter. My bad; too busy with other stuff. Mother Nature will have to provide cleaning instructions to whatever squatter might shack up.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
B'ski see what happens when you take that 15 mins prior to starting work to enjoy what is around you. It keeps things in perspective. \:\)

ewest #208181 03/15/10 11:02 AM
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Before I read that wood duck boxes should be out of sight of each other, I had nine boxes on the south side of my pond spaced seventy feet apart. Doesn't seem to be a problem and there has been no dumping.

After hatch out, the ducks don't stay in the pond but head off into the woods. Actually, the only time I see the ducks is when they're selecting the nesting box, during the laying time, and as hatchout approaches. I saw multiple pairs scouting the area yesterday.

I clean the boxes each December. It's incredibly messy in the boxes with egg shells, eggs that failed to hatch, and wet wood shavings full of very tiny bugs. No self-respecting duck would nest in a box that hasn't been cleaned.

Last year, I put up four nesting boxes for a few black-bellied whistling ducks that had been frequenting the pond, the boxes being a little larger than wood duck boxes and with a five inch opening. I had been seeing them for a year and, thinking they had been attracted by the wood duck boxes, decided to put up boxes accommodating their larger size. A few weeks after the boxes were up, the whistling ducks left and haven't been back, which is unfortunate because, unlike woodies, the whistling ducks stayed in and around the pond and even came close to the camp. The woodies will probably take over those boxes as well as their own nine.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
Brettski,

Have you done any maintenance on the wood duck boxes? Just asking since they should be cleaned out ever year and have fresh bedding added.

I cleaned them out the first winter, then missed the next winter and also this current winter. My bad; too busy with other stuff. Mother Nature will have to provide cleaning instructions to whatever squatter might shack up.

Understand it is hard to get to everything especially when there are other projects on the mind

lassig #209362 03/21/10 08:07 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Woodrow!
Woodrow has shown a great amount of interest in a snag about 50 feet from our little part-time cabin. This morning he was pretty busy.

-
-
(please excuse the background noise; the truck is idling just out of frame)

-
-
-

Last edited by Brettski; 11/24/10 09:44 AM. Reason: re-link video
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I love the call of the Pileated woodpecker, reminds me of jungle birds, but they sure can make a mess of a tree.
It looks like he can't decide if the tree is worth the trouble.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 03/21/10 08:31 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The first time I saw one in the woods was 2 years ago behind the house. I was sitting in the tree stand waiting for a deer when this BIG woodpecker flew into the tree and started eating the wild grapes that were in a tree maybe 50 Yds from me. I never realized how big they were.

Your LNP project is coming along nicely Brettski!

2 questions for ya. How many 'rats did the trapper get, and did you have any more follow-up on your tresspassers? Locally, towards the end of the season some guys here were getting $8.00/rat in the round (unskinned). Nobody saw that coming!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #209411 03/21/10 11:34 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Pileated woodpeckers are impressive birds in person. Great photo and video. Nothing like sitting in a tree stand deer hunting have having one pounding away on a dead tree next to you or eating poison ivy berries 3 feet from your face!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I know it wasn't intended as funny, but this video is absolutely hilarious, Brettski! I couldn't help cracking up as he kept looking side to side after pecking the tree! Absolutely beautiful bird. My wife watched one for about 15 minutes at our place one day last week. She guessed it was about a foot tall. It was working on an old downed tree and when we both went later to look at the trunk, we saw that this guy has drilled some seriously impressive holes in it. Truly amazing birds.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I saw several Bald eagles while fishing on Toledo Bend this past weekend..close too...within 50ft
 Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman
I saw a Bald Eagle yesterday. That makes 2 or 3 this year.

Last October I saw 4 in a group soaring at a 1000 feet or so. That was pretty cool.

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

lassig #209473 03/22/10 11:18 AM
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I used wood shavings this year instead of straw, and that seemed to do the trick.

Brettski,

Have you done any maintenance on the wood duck boxes? Just asking since they should be cleaned out ever year and have fresh bedding added. I good job to due in the winter. I have wood duck boxes on our property in Northern Wisconsin for the last 25 years. I have woodies in most boxes ever year. My dad was at the property the first weekend in Feb. and cleaned out all eight of them.

I have a lot of wood ducks around my farm in Illinois and put in some wood duck boxes last fall on the new pond. I have mixed emotions now since most likely I have to drain the pond to fix a leak. I kind of hope the woodies don't use the boxes this year but doubt it since I see many pairs on my propert looking for nesting place from now though turkey season.

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

Sgt911 #211516 04/04/10 09:25 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
We had another new visitor and first for the LNP pond. A Pied billed Grebe was enjoying the free dinner last weekend and was still there this weekend. In fact, I think I saw a pair of them this weekend.
This is a file pic from another website.

It spends ALOT OF TIME underwater. It's so small (about 12 or 13" long) and it's bill seems so small that I can't imagine he's mowing down alot of fish...or at least the big ones.
Anybody got first hand experience with these birds?

K
ken Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
Cute bird and I say let them have fun. \:\)

i only wanted to have some fun
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
Woodrow!
Woodrow has shown a great amount of interest in a snag about 50 feet from our little part-time cabin. This morning he was pretty busy.

Every place we've lived for the last 30 years, or so, has included several pileated woodpeckers. They are very territorial. We believe we currently have four. We call them our North, South, East, and West pileated friends.

Mostly they are very welcome neighbors. I leave several "snags" per acre for all of our wild friends. The West Pileated, who is by far the biggest, attacks the snags out our bedroom window. The East Pileated, who is the smallest, attacks the snags out our kitchen window. We had an old stump out the basement door for several years. Last spring, in just two days, one of our pileated friends reduced it to roots and chips.

Living in a log home with them in the neighborhood is a challenge. We have taken a lot of precautions, but every once in a while, we get carpenter bees or some other buzzing critter in our outside structure. It only takes minutes for a pileated to cause lots of serious damage. Last summer, it took about two full days for carpenters to repair damage the pileateds did in the springtime.

We also have downies, red bellies, and flickers. All are very welcome in our woods and at our feeders.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Brettski,

Pied bills were one of the most common water birds we saw when I was taking my ornithology field class in college. They are not overly shy but do spend lots of time under water like you noted. They don't feed a lot on fish, but more on invertebrates. A neat bird... What is your bird count up to at the LNP now?

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry
I clean the boxes each December. It's incredibly messy in the boxes with egg shells, eggs that failed to hatch, and wet wood shavings full of very tiny bugs. No self-respecting duck would nest in a box that hasn't been cleaned.

Who the heck cleans out them nests that're 50 feet up in the dead maple trees on my place? I cleaned the boxes on the ponds religiously the first three seasons...and they never used them. The insisted the dead trees on the creek over the hill were better...I gave up cleaning them out. If they want to use 'em, they can clean them on their own.

Last edited by Matt Clark; 04/05/10 01:46 PM.

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I agree Matt, the wood ducks are on my pond spring, summer and fall but they won't nest, but there are lots of big dead trees that they prefer and I see them on the stream near the pond, so from now on spring cleaning is their job.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
We were greeted on this trip by a passel of hooded mergansers. Dski was thrilled. I maintained reservations, but admittedly, I enjoyed seeing them (and secretly hoped that their visit would be somewhat brief).

-
-
-
-
THEY MUST BE TAKING A BATH (click me)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nope, not bath time, it's dinner time.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #241603 11/24/10 07:34 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hoodies are so small I can't imagine them taking anything very big though. Maybe do Brettski a favor and thin out his small YOY gills? I doubt they'll stay long.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/24/10 07:35 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
aeration pump type?
by Theo Gallus - 04/16/24 10:19 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 04/16/24 09:49 AM
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 09:45 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by Augie - 04/16/24 09:31 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed