Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,074
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 819 guests, and 203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Gary,

Those are some amazing pictures.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
that is incredible "footage" gary. thank you for sharing that. and if i didnt say so before, sorry about yer ranch, thoughts and prayers comin from el dorado. i've seen close up what wild land fires can do. mother nature will now heal.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
WOW!!!!!

That one from 18:12:57 is like an image from Mars! Impressive!!!!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
That sequence is amazing wrt what is shows about wildfire AND wild turkeys!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I bet if you send those photos to Scoutguard and let them use them and your story for advertisement, they'll send you a new game cam for free.

Amazing pictures...it just goes to show how quickly fires can spread and how adaptive wildlife can be.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Last Sunday we drove from Sunset to Stoneburg and over to Montague. The amount of acreage burnt is amazing. However, 50 mph winds can do a lot of damage and carry a lot embers. Lots of burnt structures and trees. The Firefighters often let the brush burn and try to save structures. They stopped one fire about 3 or 4 miles South of me. Another 10 miles to the West of me.

Firemen from a lot of cities sent trucks and crews; some from over 100 miles away.

Gary, exactly where is your place? Did the rain wash any ashes and junk into your pond?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Those are some amazing pictures... Turkeys are incredible... Back to eating from the feeder like nothing ever happened. Goes to show you just how adapted they are to fire in their native habitat.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J

Amazing sequence of photos. Thanks for posting that. From 17:51:54 where their are signs of smoke but no fire, to 17:55:49 where the area is fully engulfed in flame. Amazing how fast fire moves.

Originally Posted By: davatsa
I bet if you send those photos to Scoutguard and let them use them and your story for advertisement, they'll send you a new game cam for free.

+1 the camera company would probably LOVE this sequence of photos.

That and the local forestry department (fire department), fire safety council, etc, etc.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Turkeys are incredible... Goes to show you just how adapted they are to fire in their native habitat.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Gary,
I was reading a post on another site from a forester and firefighter who works for the Texas Forest Service and lives in Montague county. He cut down a couple of trees and it looks like most will not make it. If you have white ash on the ground then the fire got really hot. His trees showed burn evidence 3" into the live tree, well past the outer live section of the trees.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Jeffreythree..

I'm sure that the fire was very hot.... no doubt about that. From the pictures, I think the main burn was only about 30 minutes long, but incredibly hot.

I walked the entire place on Sunday... some areas are worse than others. I would guess that maybe 1% of the oak trees lost their bark, and have bare trunk showing. I'm sure those trees are going to die.

I did spot checks on the bark on alot of trees using a pocket knife.... maybe I'm just doing some wishful thinking, but the burn really looks like a surface burn, and does not go all the way through the bark. The twigs still bend... they are not dry and crispy... you have to twist them to get them to break off the tree. Only time will tell. I'll post pictures as the months go by on how the recovery is going.

David,

As far as the pond.... I've had two rains in the past week, for a combined total of about 3 inches. I don't think that I got any runoff into the pond. Water clarity still seems pretty good, and the fish are still feeding. I have noticed more FA on the pond this weekend.... last weekend there was none. I'm not sure if that could be a symptom of the fire or not.

Here's a pic of the FA....

Here's some typical tree trunks.... Hopefully the fire did not go past the bark...

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Here is the post on the other site: http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=96226 . 3rd pic down shows the tree I was talking about. Bark looks fine on the outside, but you can see the burn ring inside the log.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It will definitely be interesting how the trees pull through. The post and blackjack oaks are very fire tolerant. If any species can pull through, it would be them...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy