Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm really sorry to hear that, GT! \:\(

If it rains do you expect a massive ash runoff?

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Gary - You're lucky your cabin was still surrounded by dirt instead of grass. That surely saved it. It doesn't look like your trees were burned too badly. They should be fine, though you may end up with a "fire ring" in the wood grain if you intend to ever harvest any for lumber. Fires like that can actually be very beneficial to your trees. Your hay field will be a lush green and thick in 3 weeks I bet.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
D
DennisS
Unregistered
DennisS
Unregistered
D
outahere

Last edited by DennisS; 04/18/09 02:31 PM.
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Unbelievable.....

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
And this too shall pass. Glad no one was hurt and the house is ok. On a positive note the hay field should benefit from the potash in the burn. The trailer looks ok for rehab but the camper may be fish structure.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Thanks, guys.

I'm really hoping that the oak trees will survive this... if they do, I know that getting rid of all the underbrush is a good thing.

Weissguy... I've never been through anything like this... is there anyway to tell if the trees were burned too much? I had been thinking that I needed a controlled burn..... mother nature decided otherwise.

Bruce, If we get a big rain, it will certainly wash a ton of ash into the pond. I don't know that there is anything I can do to stop it. We are supposed to get rain on Sunday.... I'm hoping for an all day soaker to put out the hotspots and get some moisture into the ground. If I can get some ground cover established before a serious runoff.... just maybe the pond will survive.

I'm trying to be positive.... with the high winds, the fire went through fast, so maybe it was like a controlled burn?? I'm hoping so....

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: GaryTexas
I wasn't so lucky.... all 257 acres of my place in North Texas, in Jack county burned yesterday. Just got back from checking on the place...
Gary, sorry to hear about your loss.
TV just reported more than 100,000 acres burned in N.Texas so far.
Three deaths in Montague County (Bowie) – Hope Dave D. OK today.
Supposed to rain tomorrow.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Gary, post oak does not have much of a tolerance for fire. Most of yours is probably post oak. It does sprout well after fire. Contact the Texas Forest Service: http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/main/default.aspx?dept=landowner . They should be able to help you. Hope everyone else escaped the fires.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Wow Gary, I am so glad your cabin pulled through but sorry to hear about the trailer and camper. I think your trees will be OK. The burn doesn't look like it got too overly hot from the pictures. You'll be amazed at how well the forest and your field will come back... Only time will tell if the oaks and other trees will pull through, but I think they will. Do you know what species you have on your property?

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
CJBS: I'm really hoping you are right. I'm not a tree expert, but the Texas Parks & Wildlife site says that my area of Texas is predominantly post oak and blackjack oak trees. I do know that I don't have many live oak trees, as almost all of my oaks lose their leaves in winter.

So, in the vein of keeping a positive attitude....

My Texas Hunter fish feeder survived, and is still feeding the fish...

And here is the remains of the deer stand where I stored all of my fishing tackle...

But that only means that I get to get NEW fishing gear... all is not lost.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Just found this info on the star telegram site.... Lots of big fires in the North Texas area, but the one that got me is one of the biggest....

The "Cement Mountain fire," 28,000 acres straddling Young and Jack Counties and stretching 18 miles, destroyed nine homes, 46 out buildings and forced the evacuation of 100 homes.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Gary, my entire place burned about 15 years ago. Like yours, the wind was moving along at 40 to 50 mph. Mine looked like yours. It usually burns through fast enough that the oaks don't get hurt. Mine hit in the winter and in the Spring, my place never looked better. It may be a year but I figure you will be OK.

If you had cedars, they seldom stand a fire.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Thank you, Dave!!!

That kind of first hand experience gives me hope... I can easily wait a year.... waiting 15 or 20 for a recovery would be tough. I've put my heart and soul into this place for the past 10 years... I really need to believe that it will recover.

I had alot of cedars.... they can stay gone, as far as I'm concerned.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Well Gary, if it makes you feel any better, post oak and blackjack oak are probably the two most fire tolerant species of oak there are!

Post Oak
Blackjack Oak

The subspecies of blackjack oak, Quercus marilandica Münchhausen grows in your area of Texas. In this area, Blackjack, along with Post oak, forms a semi-savanna area composed of forested strips intermixed with prairie grass glades along the eastern edge of the southern Great Plains. This semi-savanna is known as the Cross Timbers. The acorns of both species provide food for both whitetail deer and wild turkey. The area know as Cross Timbers is naturally fire prone and both oak species are well adapted to brush fires. I think your oaks will be fine! Glad to see the fish feeder survived the fires as well... Keep us updated with photos, I think we will all be amazed at how quickly the forest regenerates. The deer, turkey and particularly quail will be loving it!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Gary:

The first thing that I said was "On S...", but looking at the pics closer it doesn't look like the fire was hot for a long time, so hopefully the trees will do fine. I see contractors here put up a perforated black plastic 18" tall silt fence so excess runoff doesn't make it to the creeks. I wonder if that might help your pond? I don't know how much it costs, but it doesn't look too labor intensive to erect.

Glad the cabin made it thru. The trailer sure needs a sandblasting and painting now! Hope it doesn't rain too hard this weekend.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Crikeys Gary...that is just awful. I just can't fathom the thought of that level of burn. So sorry, man.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Gary, when this stuff happened Thursday I was at my place listening to the Bowie radio station and watching the skies for smoke. While quenching my thirst, I started thinking about my insurance and the policy limits.

I'll be calling and updating those things next week. I believe it costs about 4% of the insured value.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'm sorry for the loss, Gary, but I agree with everyone that it should all come back green very quickly. Other than the fish feeder surviving, do you notice any other effects of the fire on the pond?

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Gary,sorry to see the damage,but glad it wasnt any worse.Have you thought about discing around the pond to catch the ash before it gets in the pond?Just a thought there,if its feasable.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It helps.

Dave,

I'm very curious about the insurance coverage you are talking about.... My insurance covers the structures and such, but I was told when I got my policy that "no one insure raw land from fire"....

Can you give more specifics on who you are insured with??

Thanks, GaryTexas

Lunker
Lunker
So, so sorry. Fire is the worst thing, we had a fire in our building (machine shop) right after we bought it, first experience with fire, it got put out pretty quick, but it was so fast and so scary. I hope that you can protect your pond.

HUSBAND AND CAT MISSING -$100 REWARD FOR THE CAT!
I subscribe too, but tried and failed at the fish logo.
W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
 Originally Posted By: GaryTexas
Thanks, guys.

I'm really hoping that the oak trees will survive this... if they do, I know that getting rid of all the underbrush is a good thing.

Weissguy... I've never been through anything like this... is there anyway to tell if the trees were burned too much? I had been thinking that I needed a controlled burn..... mother nature decided otherwise.

If it's just a light charring of the bark, they will be totally fine. If it burned behind the bark layer, you could lose some. It looks like to me they just got a little bark burn, and should be perfectly fine. You'll know for sure within a month or so.

The upside to this is that you burned a lot of the fuel off of your property should another wildfire threaten within the next several years. It is always a good idea to keep your trees free of a lot of underbrush and what not. Often a "controlled burn" will stop in it's tracks when it hits a well maintained tree or fence row because it actually runs out of quick burning fuel.

Your fields will look great this summer, and you'll have likely burned off any of those volunteer field cedars and other brushy invaders.

You might want to consider a rock garden around your cabin. \:\) Half joking, but that lack of grass around the structure saved it without a doubt.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Man, that has to be tough to swallow. I totally agree with above comments, the fields and forests will be lush with flora this summer. The strong trees will survive and flourish. Tom G. has a good idea with the discing parallel with pond. I dont think the potash will cause any problem. The wildlife will appreciate the thinning out. Show us pics in a few months. Good luck.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Gary, I was talking about my structure and equipment.

However, I have Farm Bureau Insurance and couldn't be more satisfied. When I've had thefts and/or damage, they haven't quibbled.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Well, I went back out this weekend to walk the place and do a further damage assessment.... only time will tell how many of the trees will come back.

Amazingly, I'm seeing rabbits, turkeys, armadillos.... so there is some life left out there.

More amazingly, one of the game cameras which I thought was burned up (it was melted on the outside)... the memory card was still good. It caught some amazing photos of the fire as it came through... truly an awesome sight. Here they are in sequence... note the time stamps on how quickly this happened.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??