Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts558,002
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
7 members (Sunil, esshup, Fishingadventure, Cliff76169, jmartin, JasonInOhio, FishinRod), 1,324 guests, and 216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm going to visit a friend in the DFW area around the 2nd weekend in May. One of his ponds is managed for trophy bass and we'll spend some time on it Flyfishing/Barbless hooks only. I plan on a 4 day trip, so after fishing and bs'ing that'll leave at least 2 days for sightseeing. I know that I want to see the Alamo, but other than that I'm pretty much open to suggestions. I'm more of a country boy than a big city boy if that's any help. My buddy suggested taking a look at South Padre island, and the San Antonio River Walk area.

The flight hasn't been booked yet, so I don't have to go back to DFW or Love Field for the flight back. I will be flying into one of those two, Love Field is actually a bit closer to him.

Suggestions would be appreciated!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The TX guys will know better than I, but 275 miles to San An' burns up a lot of time on a 2-day'r.

Lunker
Lunker
RODEO! I think they still run one weekly at Mesquite in the DFW Metromess area.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
The Alamo is definitely not worth the long trip. Someone from DFW area and to the SW of there toward Austin will offer suggestions.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Get Dave to show you around some,or go fishin in the lakes around there.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
RODEO! I think they still run one weekly at Mesquite in the DFW Metromess area.

...better yet, hook up with Fatty McButterpants Mechanical Bull Beer Brawl. Take lotsa pics.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
The Alamo is definitely not worth the long trip. Someone from DFW area and to the SW of there toward Austin will offer suggestions.

Harsh. Brutal. Unnecessary. Worst of all, sacrilegious. You call yourself a Texan?? ;\)

While I've driven from SA to Dallas and vice versa for two-day trips, I'll agree that it would be better to fly from Dallas to SA if you want to see the Alamo and riverwalk for a day or two. Southwest Airlines has reasonable fees and plenty of flights from Love Field to SA International.

If the Alamo is definitely on your list, I can help you with other things to do in SA. If, however, you stay in the DFW area only, I'll defer to the folks up there for the best ideas.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
If you are in the DFW area May 8-10 you could go to Taste Addison: http://www.addisontexas.net/events/TasteAddison/ . I have been in previous years and it is great! There are usually about 50 restaurants there, so it is great for dinner time. Dallas World Aquarium is pretty nice: http://www.dwazoo.com/d/ . Mesquite does have their rodeo going on, but I have never been: http://www.mesquiterodeo.com/ . The Fort Worth Stockyards are fun: http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/. If you go to the Stockyards, be sure to time it to see the cattle drive(usually 11:30 and 4:00).

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
A very popular rural pastime is staring at the sky and watching for rain. Entertainment is easy to come by in the left half of the State.

I have also heard great things about the Dallas World Aquarium.

I think San Antone would be a good idea. The Alamo looks nothing like what Davy Crocket/John Wayne was standing on. It's kind of small but I found it interesting.There is some great Mexican Food at the place next to the Mercado. Oh yeah, the Mercado is the Mexican Market/tourist trap. Can't remember the name of that restaurant. Dave or Al; give me a hand here? Also is the Hall of Horns still open at the brewery? The River walk is Ok if you enjoy people watching. However, Monday and Tuesday probably won't be all that inspiring.

Tom, I haven't fished a lake since I built a pond 10+ years ago. Sounds like it would be fun though.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I believe you're thinking of Mi Tierra, Dave. Open 24 hours I believe. The amount of fresh Mexican pastries lined up in that place when you first walk in is mind-boggling.

The Hall of Horns is called the Buckhorn Saloon & Museum. Only in Texas will you find a saloon and museum all in one. It's like the local liquor stores...free pistol if you purchase three bottles of Jack. ;\)

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yep, that's it. I tried the cabrito there. It broke me of ever wanting to eat dead goat. Everything else is great.

You know, they make the best Margaritas East of Santa Fe. If you have more than one, you will never want to leave town. You may not be able to leave.

The Buckhorn is amazing. I think I could spend all day in there.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Mind you this advice is coming from someone who rented a car in New York City, but if I was headed to San Antonio from DFW, I'd bypass 35 and go by way of 281 at the least. I'd probably slip on over to HW16 at some point, Goldthwaite or through Bend down to Fredricksberg. Might slide through Luckenbach for a cold beer on my way to the city.
Pretty country.

Last edited by tejasrojas; 04/01/09 07:18 AM.

Life’s mostly scars and souvenirs
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
My cold butt would be heading South to that big salt water pond.

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Wow! Thanks. I'll be spending some time on the 'net looking up the places and deciding. I might add a day or 2 to the trip just to have the extra time. My buddy suggested hitting the big pond for some redfish- he knows a couple of guides down there. I'll have to quiz him on his ponds, and take him a couple issues of PB. One of the disadvantages of flying is not having the luxury of taking much fishing tackle. I'll be shipping the fly rod down just to save some of the hassle at the airport.

I looked at the cattle drive site. I knew Longhorns had some big headgear, but those are HUGE! The laptop and camera are definate "must have's" to take along.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
It's like the local liquor stores...free pistol if you purchase three bottles of Jack. ;\)

Make mine a Colt SAA, Colored Case/Blued, 5 1/2" barrel !

www.hoosierpondpros.com

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
essup,

4 days just isn't enough time to get a taste of Texas. If you can make it down to San Antonio do it. There is so much Texas History there. the flight from Love to SA is about an hour and cost less than driving. If you drive go down 281.

If you stay in N Texas go to the Fort Worth Stockyards. Awesome place. Longhorns are impressive and pretty docile. We have one named Jack as in JackAss down at the ranch that has a horn spread approaching 7ft. He is a big pet that will stand in the middle of the road and won't move until you feed him.

Forget about the Mesquite Rodeo. It is kinda like the minor leagues. Not Amature but not really a true Professional rodeo. And it a tourist thing. If you want to go to a good Small Town Texas Rodeo take a little trip NW of Fort Worth to Bridgeport. Its a good little PRCA Rodeo that will draw some well known cowboys. Nothing like a small Texas town when the big rodeo comes to town.

If you like to fly fish you may enjoy driving down to Kerrville and fly fishing the Guadalope River. Beuatiful country. And while your down you might as well drive over to Luckenbach and have a cold beer as suggested earlier. And since your in the area go to Gruene Hall in Gruene Texas. Awesome historic dance Hall running along the Guadalope River.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/28/24 09:41 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM